Kevin O'Leary for prime minister?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think Obama feels the same way about wonder boy...

Probably not. But neither have to worry about their futures. Trudeau is an elitist trust fund baby that never has or ever will have to work for a living, and Obama now has a pension backed by the US govt for life and will go on the lecture circuit at 50K a pop. And both will be arrogantly oblivious to their own incompetence.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fraud? Please explain.

He announces he may consider going for leadership and now let the red flags raise, the accusations fly, and the conspiracies start.

Doesn't matter who possibly gets in someone will throw out their beliefs and accusations of said person.

People don't like O'leary because he's a pompous ass who speaks his mind regardless of what people may think. IMHO I think he just says what most of us think. I for one think maybe for once not having a politician run things for a few years may not be terrible. Especially one who has made himself into a financial power house.

As far as the living in Boston comment he also has two homes in Ontario including his main residence in TO.

I'm not for or against him but maybe people should relax and learn about before spouting off bout someone because you've seen a few YouTube clips and some dragons den. Atleast you know he's not in it for the money or benefits
interesting perspective but as you state some people are turned off by his demeanor and approach but many are enamored by the same elements of his personality. He just seems like a person the public cannot stand or applaud for his directness. At least he seems to be more stable of a person than sir Donald

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off, my personal finances are just fine. Secondly, I'm still trying to figure out how Danny Williams ties in with your half cocked rant on O'Leary? Thirdly, our dollar is commodity based, no matter how you slice it. The BOC bumping the overnight rate isn't going to stop the bleeding.
Glad to hear your personal finances are great. Mine or fine too but the same can't be said for most as debt is at record levels.
People seem to think that a successful business background makes for the best leader, but a look back at Danny's tenure leaves a lot of doubt. He bloated the civil service, started a 10 billion white elephant hydro project, and a few other issues. Even with record revenue he still fell into the trap of spending everything.
Seems like a lot on here seem to think that oil / economy tanked because of one or two politicians. Bottom line is that oil was hugely overpriced based mostly on speculation (china is still touted as 5% growth) and our governments were just as happy to continue to feed at the trough without much thought to the future.
Cheers
Probably not. But neither have to worry about their futures. Trudeau is an elitist trust fund baby that never has or ever will have to work for a living, and Obama now has a pension backed by the US govt for life and will go on the lecture circuit at 50K a pop. And both will be arrogantly oblivious to their own incompetence.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot on here seem to think that oil / economy tanked because of one or two politicians. Bottom line is that oil was hugely overpriced based mostly on speculation (china is still touted as 5% growth) and our governments were just as happy to continue to feed at the trough without much thought to the future.
Cheers

Anyone that's blaming the price of oil on 2 politicians is a dimwit. Fact of the matter is, Western Canadian landlocked crude sells at a 50% discount versus the benchmark WTI. Baby PET was waving a billion of our own money around the other day looking for shovel ready projects, when one of the largest privately funded ones, will start with an approval. Trans-Canada has Energy East pegged at 12 billion, but we ll know that figure will grow. The whole thing is being held up by partisan politics and political grandstanding. That's why they're taking the heat they are.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone that's blaming the price of oil on 2 politicians is a dimwit. Fact of the matter is, Western Canadian landlocked crude sells at a 50% discount versus the benchmark WTI. Baby PET was waving a billion of our own money around the other day looking for shovel ready projects, when one of the largest privately funded ones, will start with an approval. Trans-Canada has Energy East pegged at 12 billion, but we ll know that figure will grow. The whole thing is being held up by partisan politics and political grandstanding. That's why they're taking the heat they are.
Nl's oils isn't landlocked and its $ (Brent) is in the tank too ....
Anyway... as for Kevin O'Leary he's a decent TV persona but truthfully, the minion Kevin would likely be as good a choice as any - luck & timing play a much bigger role than anyone gives credit.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Couch Potatoe seems your opinion of Danny Wiliams in the minority, copy from Wikipedia:

Williams' popularity is said to be unmatched in Canadian political history; his high approval ratings lasted right up until his retirement. Although Williams' premiership was considered quite controversial in Canada at large, except for his first year in office, his own provincial approval ratings and those of his government have been consistently in the seventy to eighty percent range for the majority of the time he was in office.[SUP][64][/SUP] According to polling organisation Corporate Research Associates (CRA), Williams remains by far the most popular provincial or federal leader in the country.[SUP][65]
[/SUP]

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Couch Potatoe seems your opinion of Danny Wiliams in the minority, copy from Wikipedia:

Williams' popularity is said to be unmatched in Canadian political history; his high approval ratings lasted right up until his retirement. Although Williams' premiership was considered quite controversial in Canada at large, except for his first year in office, his own provincial approval ratings and those of his government have been consistently in the seventy to eighty percent range for the majority of the time he was in office.[SUP][64][/SUP] According to polling organisation Corporate Research Associates (CRA), Williams remains by far the most popular provincial or federal leader in the country.[SUP][65]
[/SUP]
The wiki probably needs to be updated by someone other than a pc staffer. You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the web.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wiki probably needs to be updated by someone other than a pc staffer. You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the web.

Pretty easy to make friends when you cash your paycheck at the bar like Danny did. Danny's legacy project may possibly singlehandedly bankrupt the province and have NL paying the highest rates for electricity.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nl's oils isn't landlocked and its $ (Brent) is in the tank too ....
Anyway... as for Kevin O'Leary he's a decent TV persona but truthfully, the minion Kevin would likely be as good a choice as any - luck & timing play a much bigger role than anyone gives credit.
If O'Leary is a minion, I'd hate to guess what that makes Trudeau Jr...

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup Williams did a terrible thing, created thousands of jobs developing Hibernia Hebron etc, all while putting NL deficits back in the black... But wait your power bill went up $100/month yikes that's scary.

Just like Ralph Klein was hated by a minority.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup Williams did a terrible thing, created thousands of jobs developing Hibernia Hebron etc, all while putting NL deficits back in the black... But wait your power bill went up $100/month yikes that's scary.

Just like Ralph Klein was hated by a minority.
You must be living in a different province .... Hibernia was rolling long before Danny entered politics - he just happened to be in power when the better part of the royalties kicked in. He was also lucky to be the guy at the top when oil hit $135+ a barrel. Voisey's Bay agreement was put in place by government that preceded Danny too .... Hebron was in the works for a while as well - "we" own a share of it but with current $ of Brent we likely will not see any return in the foreseeable future .... province is slated to hit close to $2 billion current account deficit this year after $500 million+ deficit last year and loss the year previous all due in large part to a lousy hydro project that Danny cobbled together and foisted on the province given that none of his minions had the ba!!$ to trash it before it got rolling. Not only have our power bills risen and will continue to do so, we are also paying for the project directly as taxpayers to the tune of over $1 million / day. Sure Danny got 2 billion out of Martin by holding him over a barrel during fed election but Steve pretty much clawed it back and then continued to bend us over time and time again.
No doubt he was / is popular but history will likely provide a more balanced view and will demonstrate that even a shrewd & lucky business person can screw things up just as well as any other professional or individual.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much he lost..........probley nothing. He should be in jail for crashing his boat and killing a person,
Why? Kevin wasn't driving and the other guy was ticketed for not having lights on.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much he lost..........probley nothing. He should be in jail for crashing his boat and killing a person,

I dont know about the boat. but he should be in jail for pumping that FTX scam on people...

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of O’Leary, but he might not have known about what was going on inside FTX. It seems a lot of people got caught in that. Not the first time and won’t be the last time people are caught up in some dudes giant scam.

Regarding the boat, it was his wife that was driving and the other boat didn’t have any lights on at night, is my understanding.

I think O’Leary can’t get enough of himself and he doesn’t do a deal on Dragons den unless he’s taking them for a ride.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was youtubers calling it out months ago for being a ponzi scheme. But mr wonderful, financial genius couldnt see through it? Ya right.

He laughed all the way to the bank... He was a paid spokes person for FTX.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree. But ftx wasnt cryto, it was an exchange and they were stealing all the money and bitcoin...

Last edited:
Top Bottom