Kelowna rescue

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it is this cold out any injury can be pretty serious. It is always something I take into consideration when I go out. I would never do a big ride when it is this cold

note to self, dont take girlfiend on a ride when cold.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over all snow depth. Distance from town. Cold Temps. Short days. And are choppers flying all should come into play with where and how we ride.
At -30 I would never ride to the backside of Eagles. Breaks and wrecks get serious real quick at those temperatures

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cutoff is -20 and much prefer -15, too much risk when you have to spend a night out after that point.
My cuttoff is -8 during the day. If its -8 during the day, guaranteed to be colder at night. Its a long night trying to keep a fire going if you have an incident in the wrong place.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My cut off is -10C. It used to be -25C but at those temps we were always close to the cabins. Had to pull a dead sled out in 2017 at -25C and it was cold. Cabin was close so we warmed up for the last part of the ride down but it was a chilly end to the day.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overnight past -15 for me. Too risky if you have to spend the night.

It’s just not fun when it’s any colder, some guys don’t mind it, I freeze up fingers and toes.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cutoff is -20 and much prefer -15, too much risk when you have to spend a night out after that point.
Remember 2 years ago , freezing our azzes off looking for that guy that shut his radio off and spent the nite

Fawk was that cold on blue

Snow was mint tho lol

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember 2 years ago , freezing our azzes off looking for that guy that shut his radio off and spent the nite

Fawk was that cold on blue

Snow was mint tho lol

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Hey Jeff. Question for you? So was talking with some guys today about SAR and was wondering what kind of plan do you guys have when you start a search for someone? I mean where do you start looking for someone? Always wondered that

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geared for no more than -15. To much risk after than personally.

Realistically, it’s just not fun after that. You have so many layers and have to keep moving so much, there no time to stop and enjoy what your really out there for!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya u got to be careful when it's super cold. It's was -18 last weekend. We rode but stayed close to cabins and went home early. U got to use your head out there. Smart choices come with age.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff. Question for you? So was talking with some guys today about SAR and was wondering what kind of plan do you guys have when you start a search for someone? I mean where do you start looking for someone? Always wondered that
It depends on the information available. Commonly it's a needle in a haystack search which means a panicked wife in Regina hasn't heard from hubby and it's after dark so calls the RCMP. She may or may not know where they were riding for the day but often don't so all the RCMP know is that they are in X-sledtown somewhere. RCMP then usually goes and looks in the staging area for buddies pickup to see which zone he may be in. The RCMP then tasks out SAR for a search in that zone. While searching for the truck or after RCMP will initiate cellphone pings to see if they can get any indication of where they may be in the zone. A triangulated ping in a good zone can take SAR right to the guy but often only a ping from one or two towers so only a rough idea or no ping at all. If there is a ping SAR proceeds to that last known point and looks for evidence perhaps sled tracks leading into a known no-go zone. SAR will get to height of land look for any lights from headlights or a fire and if a radio channel is known will try calling from there on that channel. SAR will try to attract attention to their positions with light, flare guns, or noise. If none of that works SAR will often just start working the edge of the zone especially around known problem areas looking for tracks leading into them and not back out.

The more information the RCMP and SAR have the better chance of getting to a subject. There have definitely been times when the call from the loved one is like oh yeah they're in: insert zone which doesn't exist. Or they told a loved one they were riding Blue Lake but they get found in Hunters Range.

If you're in a bad scene and actually want help it's best to have a two way satellite communication device. Everyone should also leave a trip plan with loved ones. Tell them every morning which area you will be in, who you will be with, which radio channel you're on.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone loves a pow day, but my favorite rides over the the years have mostly been late season.

If i can catch a tan and sled at the same time, doesnt get any better than that to me lol

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on the information available. Commonly it's a needle in a haystack search which means a panicked wife in Regina hasn't heard from hubby and it's after dark so calls the RCMP. She may or may not know where they were riding for the day but often don't so all the RCMP know is that they are in X-sledtown somewhere. RCMP then usually goes and looks in the staging area for buddies pickup to see which zone he may be in. The RCMP then tasks out SAR for a search in that zone. While searching for the truck or after RCMP will initiate cellphone pings to see if they can get any indication of where they may be in the zone. A triangulated ping in a good zone can take SAR right to the guy but often only a ping from one or two towers so only a rough idea or no ping at all. If there is a ping SAR proceeds to that last known point and looks for evidence perhaps sled tracks leading into a known no-go zone. SAR will get to height of land look for any lights from headlights or a fire and if a radio channel is known will try calling from there on that channel. SAR will try to attract attention to their positions with light, flare guns, or noise. If none of that works SAR will often just start working the edge of the zone especially around known problem areas looking for tracks leading into them and not back out.

The more information the RCMP and SAR have the better chance of getting to a subject. There have definitely been times when the call from the loved one is like oh yeah they're in: insert zone which doesn't exist. Or they told a loved one they were riding Blue Lake but they get found in Hunters Range.

If you're in a bad scene and actually want help it's best to have a two way satellite communication device. Everyone should also leave a trip plan with loved ones. Tell them every morning which area you will be in, who you will be with, which radio channel you're on.
Quoted for value and ease of finding in the future. Great post!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

also if you tell them im the morning stick to the plan otherwise give them a heads up that your plans have changed. imo

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's good to let your wife or loved ones and sled group members know how prepared you are as well. For example the response and stress on rescuers can look a lot different if she says you're diabetic but not sure if you carry your meds with you sledding vs oh yeah he has a full pack and is very prepared as he and his group did a winter camp last season to practice an overnight situation.

Top Bottom