Jetforce Avalanche Pack

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is pretty innovative, posted it on Facebook and had a discussion with Drink about the company that makes them called Black Diamond Equipment. they support a group that advocates against snowmobilers, they are a skier/climber oriented company. they have recently acquired Peips and are developing this pack to be ready for sale for the fall of this year. if a product is good, and possibly a game changing piece of safety equipment, should one stand to his convictions and not purchase it based on principle? I would really like to get a pack, this one looks awesome.....just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would buy the best equipment available. If that means supporting a company who's policies you don't agree with then so be it. I'd rather give money to the bad guy then wind up dead or injured because of principle. I know people will say that snowmobile friendly companies make just as good of equipment, but every little advantage helps and if a ski companies gear is better, that's what I'll buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would buy the best equipment available. If that means supporting a company who's policies you don't agree with then so be it. I'd rather give money to the bad guy then wind up dead or injured because of principle. I know people will say that snowmobile friendly companies make just as good of equipment, but every little advantage helps and if a ski companies gear is better, that's what I'll buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that is my thinking as well, thanks for the reply.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Very interesting technology.
For myself, I'd not purchase due to their fighting the Off Road Industry.
I do not, and will not purchase from MEC for exactly the same reasons (let the fighting begin).
I believe we as a sport need to hold companies who fight to **** down off-road (sledding, quadding etc) accountable by
1. Telling them
2. Not purchasing (anything).

Just my personal opinion and I certainly can not speak for S&M mods.

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone there ?????

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interesting technology.
For myself, I'd not purchase due to their fighting the Off Road Industry.
I do not, and will not purchase from MEC for exactly the same reasons (let the fighting begin).
I believe we as a sport need to hold companies who fight to **** down off-road (sledding, quadding etc) accountable by
1. Telling them
2. Not purchasing (anything).

Just my personal opinion and I certainly can not speak for S&M mods.

the problem with that is, every major company claims to support environmental causes because their marketing research shows that their product will appeal to a broader range of consumers. Ford, GM, Dodge.....they all make these claims. if we chose to not purchase their products we would not be driving, eating food and wearing clothing we did not grow or make ourselves. where does one draw the line?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
the problem with that is, every major company claims to support environmental causes because their marketing research shows that their product will appeal to a broader range of consumers. Ford, GM, Dodge.....they all make these claims. if we chose to not purchase their products we would not be driving, eating food and wearing clothing we did not grow or make ourselves. where does one draw the line?

I agree with the marketing part but some of these companies, like MEC, have made it part of their mission to shut down sledders etc.
We as sledders need to decide if we want to support them and then live with another sledding area shut down.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I"m in a boat like moyie; a little wishy-washy!

The technology looks and sounds great! How doo we know the company is against motorized back-country useage (other than heli or cat skiing) and just for self-propelled back country endeavours? If I were starting out selling a new system for avalanche air bags, I would want as big a market as possible. Has anyone inquired about their objectives?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I"m in a boat like moyie; a little wishy-washy!

The technology looks and sounds great! How doo we know the company is against motorized back-country useage (other than heli or cat skiing) and just for self-propelled back country endeavours? If I were starting out selling a new system for avalanche air bags, I would want as big a market as possible. Has anyone inquired about their objectives?
on their site they have a list of groups they support, the one that seems to cause the most controversy is the group called Winter Wildlands Alliance.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had discussion while back on bcr, most didn't care for the having to keep it charged idea, and air intake

new airbag - Back Country Rebels - Forums
I already have to charge a helmetcam every night, I don't think remembering to charge a pack battery will be a big deal. as for air intake, the fan system is contained inside the pack....but it's unclear from the vids where it draws air from. I would think someone had thought of the possibility of snow being ingested into the fan and taken appropriate measures to ensure it wasn't an issue? there is a couple testing videos they show where the pack is on a dummy in an avy path, it seems to inflate fine laying in the snow.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
It is obviously up to the individual on this but a lot of companies donate money to green groups, it does not always mean they hate motorized. I am good friends with the CEO of MEC and in the past MEC has donated lots to groups that are against motorized, however they do not do this much anymore. They support mountain biking and other avenues, now granted they can't just up and send money to sledding or other off-road stuff as that could cause an uproar from the other side. Business's do have to be careful and really I am sponsored by lots of groups that don't support motorized. I don't let it bother me, infact I find it all very hypercritical as they have no problem using a car, truck, or flying around the world to shows etc, but they think they are holy because they only do human powered sports... every sport and activity has a footprint and I generally like to support local smaller shops, but MEC is good if there is a piece of gear that the smaller shops can't afford to carry in stock forever...It is cool to see companies creating new technology for sure but in my opinion this bag does nothing to improve many important things that people want which is lower weight...so do what works for you, you will never please everyone. happy riding, dave

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It requires more investigation but this groups mission statement starts with Human Powered Backcountry...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395943707.684171.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here is a copy/paste from the CEO of Black Diamond expounding on their mission statement:

Led by CEO and founder Peter Metcalf, Black Diamond has become a globally recognized voice for conservation and preservation ethics, particularly in Utah, where Black Diamond's global headquarters sit at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. Metcalf believes that wilderness should be protected and valued, rather than exploited and abused by motorized groups, mining companies and land developers. Working with government agencies, landowners and advocacy groups, Black Diamond has led the way in showing that wilderness preservation and business success can be symbiotic.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is obviously up to the individual on this but a lot of companies donate money to green groups, it does not always mean they hate motorized. I am good friends with the CEO of MEC and in the past MEC has donated lots to groups that are against motorized, however they do not do this much anymore. They support mountain biking and other avenues, now granted they can't just up and send money to sledding or other off-road stuff as that could cause an uproar from the other side. Business's do have to be careful and really I am sponsored by lots of groups that don't support motorized. I don't let it bother me, infact I find it all very hypercritical as they have no problem using a car, truck, or flying around the world to shows etc, but they think they are holy because they only do human powered sports... every sport and activity has a footprint and I generally like to support local smaller shops, but MEC is good if there is a piece of gear that the smaller shops can't afford to carry in stock forever...It is cool to see companies creating new technology for sure but in my opinion this bag does nothing to improve many important things that people want which is lower weight...so do what works for you, you will never please everyone. happy riding, dave
what impressed me the most is the ability to look down and see that the pack is ready via the color coded LED lights, as well as testing the bag at anytime knowing you can pack it up and it's ready to go again in just a minute or two. Black Diamond will be offering the pack in 4 different sizes, Pieps will offer it in two larger sizes. I didn't see a claimed weight of the pack anywhere. great points Dave, thanks for the reply.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
I guess id wonder, how long power lasts, also what happens if low battery, will it just not work at all like lithium, or will it be slow and stop the cycles?? buddy was down to 75% after that deploy, but what if he was out all day instead if just pulling off charger...

new tech is cool though

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It requires more investigation but this groups mission statement starts with Human Powered Backcountry...

View attachment 169323

I found an interview article with the executive director of WWA Mark Menlove ( I know, right?) and he says they don't want to close current motorized areas but to preserve and secure non motorized areas. the guy is an active snowmobiler and believes they have their place

5 Questions 4 Mark Menlove - Winter Wildlands Alliance

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here is a copy/paste from the CEO of Black Diamond expounding on their mission statement:

Led by CEO and founder Peter Metcalf, Black Diamond has become a globally recognized voice for conservation and preservation ethics, particularly in Utah, where Black Diamond's global headquarters sit at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. Metcalf believes that wilderness should be protected and valued, rather than exploited and abused by motorized groups, mining companies and land developers. Working with government agencies, landowners and advocacy groups, Black Diamond has led the way in showing that wilderness preservation and business success can be symbiotic.

Very interesting

Top Bottom