Jaws Twin vs. Single Pipes for M1000?

cfowler

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I have my my heart set on the Jaws twin for my M1000. Can anyone differentiate the performance outcomes between the Jaws twin and other Single pipes for this sled? Is it a safe bet? The Jaws is considerable more money too from what I have found. What would be the best control/fuel box to use with this pipe? Just looking for a bit more zip on the flats and some more pull in the steep and deep. My buddies stock 2009 summit xp 800 is snappier and quicker on the flats than my '09 m1000 stock. Any ideas as to why? I read in SnoWest magazine that the M1000 powerplant is a low-revving mill in comparison to the smaller 800's and the horsepower shines in climbing and torque vs. burst speed on flats. Makes sense to me.
Also, I'm in Kelowna, B.C. if anyone knows a good place to get the mods installed/tuned.

Thanks for any input!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A freind of mine runs a set of the twins on his '07 and he is adusting his control box to keep it workin good all the time. I run an '08 M1000 and i run a single speerdwerx set-up and i dont touch my control box. I also put a 3 degree timing key in mine which made it way snappier, but my buddy at the cat dealer said don't put it in if you run it flatland at all as it'll burn up if you do. On the trail i leave xp's behind without an issue. And i have the numbers that you can put into a boondocker box and it'll be bang on and ready to rip. We can supply you with parts and install them right here at the shop or can ship parts to you without an issue.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run speedwerx all around, single pipe...it has had its moments gettig set up...we are close but I am taking it to Linderman tomorrow for the final pieces...I sure would not go twins...many guys run the single pipe...in my opinion Jaws are not the best answer, speedwerx is all cat and is well tested and proven..many people run that and when its running right they rock hard.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had speedwerx pipe setup and intake,reeds on a 2009 m1 the sled pull good alot better than stock that for sure.The speedwerx kit was easy to set up with the boondocker box if u have any trouble just give jeremy a call at speedwerx if u run speedwerx that is. but as for stock i could beat my buddy 2009 rev xp 800 on a flat run...

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, both you guys say you can beat XP's on the flat or trail. What are the 1000's like against the XP when you point them up hill in the powder?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt had much of an issue yet. It's more fun goin up against PG turbo'd 800's than xp's.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, both you guys say you can beat XP's on the flat or trail. What are the 1000's like against the XP when you point them up hill in the powder?

I had a stock M1000 153 and my buddy got a 2009 rev xp 163 that's y he could high mark me...

cfowler

Reaction score
A freind of mine runs a set of the twins on his '07 and he is adusting his control box to keep it workin good all the time. I run an '08 M1000 and i run a single speerdwerx set-up and i dont touch my control box. I also put a 3 degree timing key in mine which made it way snappier, but my buddy at the cat dealer said don't put it in if you run it flatland at all as it'll burn up if you do. On the trail i leave xp's behind without an issue. And i have the numbers that you can put into a boondocker box and it'll be bang on and ready to rip. We can supply you with parts and install them right here at the shop or can ship parts to you without an issue.

Glengine,
What all would be included with the kit? y-pipe, expansion chamber, can + controller? How much for everything? Can I use my current MBRP can with the seedwerx pipe & y-pipe? What is the breakdown cost for all this also.
And about the 3 degree timing key, how does it work, what does it do? Why would it not work on the flats vs. the powder/hills? What about long ride-ins to get to th powder, like 30+ kms. What kind of risk is there?
Thanks,
Chris

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glengine,
What all would be included with the kit? y-pipe, expansion chamber, can + controller? How much for everything? Can I use my current MBRP can with the seedwerx pipe & y-pipe? What is the breakdown cost for all this also.
And about the 3 degree timing key, how does it work, what does it do? Why would it not work on the flats vs. the powder/hills? What about long ride-ins to get to th powder, like 30+ kms. What kind of risk is there?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes it would come with a y-pipe and pipe. And you can use your mbrp can but recommend usin a jaws can, the reason being is that on a dyno you actually lose 5hp with the mbrp can. Yes you would need a controller and i can supply numbers that you just put in and it should be pretty close to bang on set-up. What the timing key does is advance your timing 3 degrees thru the entire rpm range. I find that my sled revs way faster and i actually had to add weight to the primary clutch just keep my rpm's where they were at before i installed the key. We have some long trails in also 30km, i havn't had any issues yet myself. I run a gallon of vp fuel per 5 gallons just to be safe. The risk that can happen is detonation at low alltitude. i will pm pricing.

cfowler

Reaction score
Yes it would come with a y-pipe and pipe. And you can use your mbrp can but recommend usin a jaws can, the reason being is that on a dyno you actually lose 5hp with the mbrp can. Yes you would need a controller and i can supply numbers that you just put in and it should be pretty close to bang on set-up. What the timing key does is advance your timing 3 degrees thru the entire rpm range. I find that my sled revs way faster and i actually had to add weight to the primary clutch just keep my rpm's where they were at before i installed the key. We have some long trails in also 30km, i havn't had any issues yet myself. I run a gallon of vp fuel per 5 gallons just to be safe. The risk that can happen is detonation at low alltitude. i will pm pricing.

Thanks!
So speedwerx says they do not recommend any other can, naturally, as the programming will not be the same as the back pressure is different. You say you have the programming for the jaws can with the speedwerx pipe & y? Is this with the boondocker programmer or the power commander? Speedwerx tells me i should go with the PCV. Also, would it be troublesome to change programming to accomodate the high flow lightweight speedwerx intake kit for the m1000? Have you heard anything about that intake??

Thanks,
Chris

Sky

Reaction score
If you still haven't made up your mind yet on the pipes I would recomend the jaws twins. My brother ran them on his 1000 162 and it was unbelieveable what that sled could do in the hills. Cost wise they are alittle more pricey but powerwise they are the way to go. Jaws makes a nice product but the one downside was that they were a very tight fit under the hood just FYI. If your thinking single I would recomend a SLP kit. Best bang for you buck. Comes with the y pipe, pipe and can, all ceramic coated for the same price as just the speedwerx pipe by itself. Either way stay away from D&D IMO

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the progamming in my M1000 that works awesome, and yes the numbers i have are for a boondocker box. I have a speedwerx pipe, y-pipe, speedwerx high flow intake horn, slp hose delete intake kit, 3 degree timing key. The timing key works awesome and makes it rev way faster but not recommended for flatland riding. The speedwerx pipe and y-pipe are about 100.00 cheaper than than the complete slp system. Or i can get you a slp pipe and y-pipe about 100.00 cheaper than the speedwerx pipe and y-pipe.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you still haven't made up your mind yet on the pipes I would recomend the jaws twins. My brother ran them on his 1000 162 and it was unbelieveable what that sled could do in the hills. Cost wise they are alittle more pricey but powerwise they are the way to go. Jaws makes a nice product but the one downside was that they were a very tight fit under the hood just FYI. If your thinking single I would recomend a SLP kit. Best bang for you buck. Comes with the y pipe, pipe and can, all ceramic coated for the same price as just the speedwerx pipe by itself. Either way stay away from D&D IMO[/QUOTE

Just curious as why you say stay away from d&d pipes. I don't have them but have the same sled and have been looking at getting jaws twins or d&d pipe. People have told me before to not get either buy nobody says why I'm just curious. I know the twins are more work with adjusting but if I were to run the pc5 with auto tune that should fix the issue I would think. I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just curious cause I have found some really good deals on these two systems is all.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The twins are definitely more finky, and the auto tune isn't something that you just put on and then leave on all the time. It is designed to run for a little bit to help you create a map for the pc5. The reason that i say use speedwerx #1 and slp #2 is the fact that i've talked to a few engine builders that i trust to be honest with me and these are the two systems that they say work best. Just like lots of guys run the mbrp cans, if they only knew that just by using that can you lose 5hp when used with one the aftermarket pipes.

Top Bottom