Is man made climate change real?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read to the end.

Other significant greenhouse gases include water vapor (H2O), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O) and ozone (O3).

yeah I read that part, but I think the huge oceans might have something to do with the temperature too. or do you think they don't absorb or store any heat? if I were to take a guess without doing any math I'd say they store 1000x more heat than the atmosphere. what do you suppose came first the oceans or the amoshere?

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Especially considering 70% of the earth's surface is water.
yeah I read that part, but I think the huge oceans might have something to do with the temperature too. or do you think they don't absorb or store any heat? if I were to take a guess it without doing any math I'd say they store 1000x more heat than the atmosphere. what do you suppose came first the oceans or the amoshere?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I read that part, but I think the huge oceans might have something to do with the temperature too. or do you think they don't absorb or store any heat? if I were to take a guess without doing any math I'd say they store 1000x more heat than the atmosphere. what do you suppose came first the oceans or the amoshere?

C02 doesn't store heat, it prevents infrared heat from leaving the earth acting as insulation. If the amount of energy radiated from the sun equals the amount being radiated off into space global temperatures remain the same, if something like CO2 prevents this heat from leaving, even just a tiny amount of heat then the temperature rises.

There was an atmosphere long before oceans, long before there was life on earth it was too hot to have liquid water, at this time there was still a gaseous atmosphere.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C02 doesn't store heat, it prevents infrared heat from leaving the earth acting as insulation. If the amount of energy radiated from the sun equals the amount being radiated off into space global temperatures remain the same, if something like CO2 prevents this heat from leaving, even just a tiny amount of heat then the temperature rises.

There was an atmosphere long before oceans, long before there was life on earth it was too hot to have liquid water, at this time there was still a gaseous atmosphere.

where in your link does it say co2 acts as insulation?
pretty sure it said it absorbs ir.

and what is your proof that the atmosphere came first?

maybe it did, I wasn't around at the time.

thanks

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where in your link does it say co2 acts as insulation?
pretty sure it said it absorbs ir.

and what is your proof that the atmosphere came first?

maybe it did, I wasn't around at the time.

thanks

Absorbing IR and acting as insulation are the same thing in this case. If heat (IR) is not allowed to leave the earth due to increased concentrations of CO2 that would effectively be insulation.

I'm not going to type out a 4.5 billion year recount of earth's history, if you want to know more look it up, if not I could care less.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absorbing IR and acting as insulation are the same thing in this case. If heat (IR) is not allowed to leave the earth due to increased concentrations of CO2 that would effectively be insulation.

I'm not going to type out a 4.5 billion year recount of earth's history, if you want to know more look it up, if not I could care less.

yeah but co2 only absorbs ir at -80c though...

and your saying you have no proof the atmosphere came first? didn't think so haha

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So why doesn't CO2 prevent the heat from entering the atmosphere? Why does it only prevent it from leaving? It should insulate the Earth from the sun's heat then, or am I missing something?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah but co2 only absorbs ir at -80c though...

and your saying you have no proof the atmosphere came first? didn't think so haha

I'm not sure where you get that info but its complete BS. Look up absorption spectroscopy it will show you what gases absorb what EMR wavelengths.

You're saying you have proof the oceans came first?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you get that info but its complete BS. Look up absorption spectroscopy it will show you what gases absorb what EMR wavelengths.

You're saying you have proof the oceans came first?

here's were I got the -80c thing.
ĺ
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1GgK0V4LaHO2qgSRBO6Hz6
no I don't have any proof of the age of ocean or what came first and neither does anyone else.

a lot of people just except these theories as facts.
I don't

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why doesn't CO2 prevent the heat from entering the atmosphere? Why does it only prevent it from leaving? It should insulate the Earth from the sun's heat then, or am I missing something?

It does, but because there is proportionally more IR radiated from the earth than it receives from the sun it becomes a bigger issue. The earth emits most of its heat to space in the form of Infrared radiation, whereas only 50% of the energy from the sun to earth is IR the rest is mostly visible light and UV.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Because the wavelength of the heat entering the atmosphere from the sun is different than the wavelength after it has bounced off the surface of the earth.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's were I got the -80c thing.
ĺ
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1GgK0V4LaHO2qgSRBO6Hz6
no I don't have any proof of the age of ocean or what came first and neither does anyone else.

a lot of people just except these theories as facts.
I don't

This guy botched the math. He somehow tried to use the formula for a perfect blackbody emitter to represent what temperature CO2 could absorb infared which is completely wrong.

15um equates to 2898 ÷ 15 = 193K = -80C or -122F. In the atmosphere this temperature only occurs about 90-100Km high in the atmosphere.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So lets say CO2 is an insulator and trapping heat in, is lets say 300ppm going to make a difference from 500ppm? Its not storing the heat as you say, its just insulating. Would it not still insulate at 300ppm or 250ppm?

Are we shooting for 0ppm? You know plants need CO2 to live right? What's the target PPM in the climate change circles?

And hey thanks for being a good sport ABmax. Even though we don't agree. :beer:

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe in this CO2 theory, I do believe that the climate is changing. Is it from us, or is it the slow order of things, that resets the life on this planet. It’s happened before so who really knows.
I should not be taxed on a gas that occurs naturally, thats a by product of our day to day lives, and essentially keeps us alive.
There is other countries that pollute way more than we do.

One thing I do know, some people on this planet will say,and believe anything if it will make them a profit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom