Intro to Archery: ISO compound bow

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... my daughter (11) did some archery at a spring camp, and will be doing it at summer camp as well. I went out and bought her an introductory junior bow for her to practice and use at home, and I'm looking at getting a second hand compound bow. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money to get completely geared up, just something that I can use so that we can go out together and kill some straw bales with.

Thought I would throw it out on here to see if someone had something they were looking to get rid of.

Thanks!!

tekim :D

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the Bear Archery lineup, I think they have the best choices and most adjustable.
The Outbreak goes from 15-70# and 16-30" draw with an IBO of 308FPS. An excellent youth to adult bow and ready to shoot package is about $375 just add arrows and trigger release.
This is what I got for my daughter, she went from not much fun with a recure to being good enough to hunt at 25 yds in one weekend!
If kids don't like it it is good enough for adults. The only drawback is the spongy wall at the end of the draw but hey it is not a $1900 bow like her dad's so she doesn't expect everything.

Next check out their Apprentice 3 bow, more kid sized.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify to say that I am looking for one for myself as well, so that we can go out and shoot together. Thanks for the responses!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know where Rosalind is, but the Calgary Archery Center. Has a great selection of compound bows, long bows, and crossbow's. They have their own lanes and will let you demo a bow before you buy one.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know where Rosalind is, but the Calgary Archery Center. Has a great selection of compound bows, long bows, and crossbow's. They have their own lanes and will let you demo a bow before you buy one.
Rosalind is approximately 30 km south east of me. Bit of a hike.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rosalind is approximately 30 km south east of me. Bit of a hike.
21 is a nice drive :D

I found out about this place by googling Calgary Archery, maybe he could find something closer?

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Edmonton probably has a similar business?

We went into Cabela's today in Edmonton, which was nice because they had some junior compound bows that she could shoot to see where her strength level was. They had the Bear junior compound bow package for $70 which isn't too bad. She can shoot the recurve bow for a while more before we decide to upgrade to something like that.

They have a real basic adult starting kit for around $270.

:D

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went into Cabela's today in Edmonton, which was nice because they had some junior compound bows that she could shoot to see where her strength level was. They had the Bear junior compound bow package for $70 which isn't too bad. She can shoot the recurve bow for a while more before we decide to upgrade to something like that.

They have a real basic adult starting kit for around $270.

:D

Most shops let you shoot before you buy. Just saying that when you go from a recurve to a "real" compond as the two Bear Series I mentioned (especially the Outback) it is like going from a Model T manual steering to a nice Chevy with power steering. The difference is that Big! Recurve is fine but a novice will have hands down more fun with a bow that can cosistantly hit bulls eyes.
My daughter went from "Ya I gues I'll come" to Dad let's go shooting! Her fun factor increase went off the chart!
Yes you will spend a couple hundred more but it will be a bow that does not require replacement until a competitive level is reached by your daughter. I shoot my daughters ocassionally and it is a excellent bow for the money and could easily be a backup for me. She shoots hers at 30# with a 25" draw length with a trigger release. Trigger release also a huge improvement in cosistant accuracy for youth. Will never go back to shooting fingers once a trigger release is used!
Arrow flight is excellent and consistant. No sideways wabblers and three shot groups will shrink.

Diamond and PSE have similar bows but nothing is as adjustable as the Bear that I have found. Very simple to tune and set up also.

Top Bottom