Insulated or Uninsulated /Bibs or Pants and Why?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wear kim bibs cause they are water proof (stay dry all day long) and i can where just my long johns on a warm day or something warmer on a cold day.The bibs keep yr back warm and you dont get snow down yr pants!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uninsulated shells for me (Klim). But, I'm used to working outside all winter (guess I'm used to the climate) and wear a light helly hanson base layer and tekvest, which retains body heat. Always pack a mid-layer on the sled with extra socks for the "what if" scenarios.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uninsulated bibs and jacket waterproof breathable . You can layer what you want underneath. wicking base layer and fleece works well on chilly days.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uninsulated bibs and jacket waterproof breathable . You can layer what you want underneath. wicking base layer and fleece works well on chilly days.

^^^^
Very smart man...
It does depend upon what you are doing. I'm a mountain rider. A good day is a day of exertion, and exercise.. I can go from being extremely active shredding.. or quite often digging...... to chilling just hanging out. We ride from Day light, to near sunset. I need gear to work with me. In my case, insulated gear will not work. The large amount of insulation, compiled with the lack of breathability make me a soggy cold mess within the first hour. I sweat when I'm riding, so I need gear to wick that sweat away.. enter my base layer. next to my skin this base layer acts like a wick.. taking it away from my skin. Cotton is a horrible choice for underneath your gear, as it soaks up water.. then keeps it next to your skin like a hypothermic sponge. I wear motorfist, and polaris base layers.. both made of cocona fabric.. coconut.. which is freakin epic!
My midlayer is a fleece.. the Motorfist Hydrophobic fleece. It is not the heaviest of gauge fleece, which is perfect.. again wicking, quick drying, and warm.. I stay dry.. and warm. The end of my warm equation is my outer layer, my shell. Again Motorfist.. as is the majority of my stuff, it is waterproof, windproof.. and wicked awesomely breathable.. making the moisture go away keeping me warm, and happy during my shred time. If I'm out tobogganing with the kids, because I'm standing around, I quite often wear a thicker fleece midlayer.... which is warmer for standing around watching the kids toboggan.
Quite often peeps like trail riders, trappers, and peeps who ride continuously in super cold temperatures choose the insulated gear.

Hope that helps!

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2. Your outer layers work for all weather conditions. You just need a little more underneath when it gets colder!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worn insulated bibs with a pair of microfleece pants for the past 4 years or so. I used to wear snowboard pants with suspenders but I never liked the cold shot of snow up my back when I become separated from my sled.
I'd like to try just a shell to see if it improves mobility. I usually wear a shell jacket and layers under that. Microfleece that wicks away moisture is my first layer and then insulating layers over that.

PBNFLD

Reaction score
KLIM freeride pants. I can layer up if its super cold and I hate wearing bibs. Don't feel comfortable and I'm not a fan of shoulder straps.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also wear shell bibs. Mountain Hardware that are due for some new waterproofing. I like the zips to let out some heat when needed and layering under them allows you to be comfortable in all conditions. Just upgraded my base and mid layers this year.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell and layers here too. Proven time and time again. I always carry an extra base layer shirt and pants in my pack in case the temp dropped off rapidly.

Top Bottom