Installing Handguards on stock set up ??

Wranglergirl

Reaction score
Is there a way to install handguards on stock handle bars? With all the plastic and especially brake/switch side where do you
install them? If anyone has done this set up on stock and has some pictures of install and install info that would be great!

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to install handguards on stock handle bars? With all the plastic and especially brake/switch side where do you
install them? If anyone has done this set up on stock and has some pictures of install and install info that would be great!

I bought the Power Madd's over the BRP. Better construction and comes with aluminun mounts and extra parts to work around levers and what not. Needed more hardware and Power Madd supplied at no charge. Take a peek at ... I bought the PM14250 ...the hardware supplied taking into consideration the break lever and throttle assembly as the kit comes with different mounts...

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. Those things are junk. If you an aggressive rider they will be broken within 3 rides.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
You might want to consider a set of Skinz hand guards they are very warm, fits bars with or without hooks, removeable/washable, no mounting hardware required they simply velcro on and off. I went through 3 sets of mounting hardware one season before I switched to these and never looked back. I have the full on black ones in stock.

Jan

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider a set of Skinz hand guards they are very warm, fits bars with or without hooks, removeable/washable, no mounting hardware required they simply velcro on and off. I went through 3 sets of mounting hardware one season before I switched to these and never looked back. I have the full on black ones in stock.

Jan
100% true....never understood the purpose of those plastic handguard deals, especially for mountain riding. snowcross guys use them to prevent snow chunks and shrapnel smashing their fingers, if you are looking for any kind of wind protection from them you will be sadly disappointed. the skinz guards are the only useful product out there for wind deflection and come off in a jiffy, they collapse and are easily stashed in your pack. I bought a set for my XP for the cold ride off the mountain at night, they completely cover your hands when installed. makes a huge difference

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had plastics ones on my sled then the first time it rolled they came off, If you want the protection get a pair of gloves with the plactic knuckles

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had plastics ones on my sled then the first time it rolled they came off, If you want the protection get a pair of gloves with the plactic knuckles
I have those as well. 150 dollar leather gloves with carbon fibre knuckle plates....fingers still get cold once the temp drops at night.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
This all totally depends on what sled your talking about...The 2012 x's and freerides are a different story from the rest. They have motocross style bars and the rer button/kill switches would need to be moved before putting ANY guards on them.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was it ever mentioned what kind of sled it was? i didnt see anything....

there are a million ways to make hand guards work
I have used em on all my sleds for both wind protection and to keep branches from smashing your hands out west
never had an issue .. never broke one and never had one come off
this is from a REV, to a Nytro to my current sled (well..i havent rode the new one yet ;) )

so...what kind of sled does the OP have?

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Jan

Yup I tried the junk plastic for years and just kept breaking them. These really do work very well. they protect hand from branches and ice chunks when your tailgating people up the trail and keep your hands warm and you can take them off when your up on the mountain for ease of ride when you dont want them to get in the way while hangin and bangin! Awesome product

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure handgaurds are metal cuz they will break from the cold if hit hard enough or when you roll it over after a bad stuck on the hill. its happened twice now so i dont bother. But if u find some metal ones those would work great

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you expect "protection" from other than the wind you will be disappointed since I have yet to see hand (wind) guards that act like motocross guards...so go without fool! LOL!

Wranglergirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies people! :)
Yes, it is sled in pic, FST Turbo.
Picked up the mounts from Polaris but doesn't look like an easy install without modifying something....no place for
the mounts to grip on with the stock bars....
hmmmmmm ? ? ?

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like mine, plastic ones, just leave them slightly loose so when I roll they just fold under the handle bars. Nice tree protection i find, I also like them on the trail, went through a few sets of brp, now on fox I think.

Sent from my Nexus S

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure handgaurds are metal cuz they will break from the cold if hit hard enough or when you roll it over after a bad stuck on the hill. its happened twice now so i dont bother. But if u find some metal ones those would work great

metal handguards? I go over the bars at least once a year and Im sure something like that will break wrists

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 06 switchback and put the polaris ones on my sled, I am happy with them for wind protection. I have rolled it in powder and had no problem, i just leave them loose so they swivel if rolled but stay in place when not upside down. So, i measured with a tape and a straight edge from the trottle block and made reference on the block so once i removed the hidious cover I could see where to mount the bracket. Then once happy with that I referenced with the straight edge and tape to the point where the mount would need to go through the handlebar cover, then i measured it all again and cut a 1/2 inch hole. Then left both brackets loose, weasled the hidious cover over them and the handle bars and perfect fit, then tighten the mount. Oh yah I took my time and measured twice befor cutting, roughly a 1 dozen beer project or 2 hours if you tell time that way.

Hamy

Reaction score
I don't ride without guards anymore. I had a bad experience once, had my thumb taped to the throttle climbing thru the trees when a branch reached out (thats what it seemed like) & grabbed my brake lever. I was suddenly checking my headlights & my chain case didn't look so good after that.

I installed Powermadd guards on my Poo once. They have all kinds of brackets to make it work, but i found the easiest way was to slide the controls to the center slightly & trim a little bit of the grips (maybe 1/4") and then the brackets fit right in. Just be sure to use teflon tape between the brackets & the bars. This way you can tighten them up a fair bit - but if you roll, the tape works like lube & allows the brackets to roll down & not snap. (old motocross trick).
I have since changed to Smith guards on my new sled. The hand guard pivots on the brackets (easier to get the sled cover on). Good luck.

Top Bottom