Illegal snowmobiling at Bow Summit, Banff Nat'l Park

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
The mandate of Parks Canada is to protect the parks and the Canadian heritage. In my opinion snowmobiling is part of our Canadian heritage. How is Parks Canada protecting snowmobiling? And this may give sledders a bad image but really there should be places in OUR parks for sleds when there are places for skiers, towns, highways, railroad tracks etc.

We should all be working to make sledding in the parks possible, not just rolling over and think that it is such holy land we should just pass it by.

While I agree with you, going in illegally is not the best approach to getting there,,,

Tacodriver

Reaction score
wow, you think that is going to fly. banff and jasper have been non motorized from day one, can't see that changing anytime soon.

Quite incorrect, my old boss used to rent snowmobiles at the cave and basin in banff in the 60's. He told me stories about riding all over the park on skidoos it also helped that snowfall was a lot greater back then also.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mostl of BC has been closed down to snowmobiling just this year alone.... I wonder how many people know this. And even more offensive would be the people who agree with it.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If sledding was allowed in parks there would be so much to deal with like Fuel spills, oil spills, and inconsiderate people that leave there trash everywhere.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mostl of BC has been closed down to snowmobiling just this year alone.... I wonder how many people know this. And even more offensive would be the people who agree with it.

How do you figure? What area's? Do you have any maps to show this?

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

another miss informed soul. should not put something on the web if you don't know what you are talking about.

roland

Reaction score
Quite incorrect, my old boss used to rent snowmobiles at the cave and basin in banff in the 60's. He told me stories about riding all over the park on skidoos it also helped that snowfall was a lot greater back then also.

I also know that back in the 70's we used to ride into Jasper Park from the Overlander Lodge. We had to go into Jasper and buy permits along with providing proof of insurance and registration.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Back in the early 70's a buddy of mine at the time used to go on winter holidays with his parents to Num Ti Jah Lodge on Bow Lake near Bow Summit where this illegal snowmobiling incident occurred. It was a snowmobile holiday in Banff National Park and the Lodge provided the snowmobiles and the guide. They sledded right from the Lodge. Things have changed a lot since then and not, in my opinion, always necessarily for the better. What better way for tourists from other countries to see the beauty of the Mountain National Parks in winter than from the seat of a snowmobile riding directly from a Lodge with all the necessary safety equipment and guided by a Certified Mountain Guide. And all that without harm to the natural environment as once the snow disappears no one know the snowmobiles have even been there.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
back in the early 70's a buddy of mine at the time used to go on winter holidays with his parents to num ti jah lodge on bow lake near bow summit where this illegal snowmobiling incident occurred. It was a snowmobile holiday in banff national park and the lodge provided the snowmobiles and the guide. They sledded right from the lodge. Things have changed a lot since then and not, in my opinion, always necessarily for the better. What better way for tourists from other countries to see the beauty of the mountain national parks in winter than from the seat of a snowmobile riding directly from a lodge with all the necessary safety equipment and guided by a certified mountain guide. And all that without harm to the natural environment as once the snow disappears no one know the snowmobiles have even been there.

x2......... Agreed, roy!!!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We as ATV'rs and sledders are usually our own worst enemy in these activities. My thoughts are that the more recent philosophy of the ones hired to oversee these land areas has been one of entitlement, personal power trips and laziness. The ones who profess to be managers should understand that "Management by Closure " isn't really management, its in my mind, totally shirking the responsibility of Management.
And... I don't know where the smart guys get their data on Caribou activity, but I've spent a ton of time in those same mountains on a sled for a lot of years, and running into a Caribou hasn't been a big worry of mine. Hell seeing one is unique. We know where they are and I hope as a group sensitive to their health and welfare, apparently the closure fellas need to get out of the office a bit more.
And I can't help but wonder.....which generation are we saving it all for ? And why would that generation be more deserving than this one ?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point of national parks is mostly to protect animal species there and make sure that there's little to nothing interfering with their way of life, so if snowmobiling was allowed in parks, what would happen when all the snow is tracked up? Caribou and elk or whatever and other big animals rely on deep snow because it's easy for them to get through it because of their long legs, it's an adaptation to give them an advantage from getting away from wolves and predators etc. If there was snowmobiling allowed in national parks then the population of large animals will decline majorly because it would be much easier for predators to hunt them, as a result of all the snowmobile tracks around. So I don't think national parks will open for sledding anytime soon.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the Mountain Caribou ARE declining in numbers in the Parks, and snowmobiling isn't allowed there now, so I dont' buy that argument. I believe I heard that in another discussion regarding BC closures.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've heard that the Mountain Caribou ARE declining in numbers in the Parks, and snowmobiling isn't allowed there now, so I dont' buy that argument. I believe I heard that in another discussion regarding BC closures.

If the friggin Caribou would learn to climb trees everyone would be the better for it....

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here you go on the next post enjoy

Your al little behind the times as theses area's were closed last season. And our club president was one of thge guys that was fighting to keep area's open. If they had closed everything that they originally wanted to we would have alot less. But this is the second sledding season that these area's have been closed. Also if people will respect the closure there are some of these area's that may be looked at for re-opening under special management agreements in the future.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If there declining now, then imagine what would happen if snowmobiles were allowed. think of a wolf running on a packed sled track and think of how fast it can run, then think about how fast it will run in deep powder up to it's belly. It's definatley going to run much faster on a packed sled track, so by snowmobiling in parks it's like giving predators roads to run on for hunting large animals.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the same token where do you think the cariboo walk and such when there are sled tracks. They usually use the sled tracks whenever possible because they are smart take the path of least resistance.

Top Bottom