If there were no diesels ?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new truck , not a diesel fan whatsoever ... Own a 6 L gmc now , but want to do my home work.... Not a lot of towing , but needs to be able to tow a heavy pull once in a while..... No half tons ! Is it worth going to a one ton over a 3/4 ?

What would most people recommend , not overly concerned with fuel mileage as not a lot of miles put on. I am hearing a lot of great things about the 6.2 Ford ( read the tread) but did not want tio discount the other two.....

lets here your thoughts.... Thanx!!

Cummins610

Reaction score
6.4 HEMI gets beat on hard at work and no issues, will spin the duals off the line. Know guys happy with their 6.2 GMs. I would just go and buy whichever truck you like the best, all the big gas pots are going to suck fuel like crazy with a load so you're even there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
Just my opinion but if your looking at buying a 3/4 and leaning towards a 1 ton for the extra tow, why would you even bother with a gas pot... kinda like buying a hooker for the night and not gettin a slap 'n tickle... 6.4 ram is good but the extra .3L diesel with a delete kit will pull the face off the hooker so you never need to worrie... I just don't see the point .... hell even a dirty max is better than a gas pot.... JMO

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you aren't considering a diesel short of cost?

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got into a diesel myself. Only had gas jobs to this point. Bought a 3/4 ton Dodge crew cab with a 6.7 Cummins. Wanted to haul my RZR and 22ft RV so a diesel was the way to go. Not sure how this DEF fluid thing will work. Had a sled on the deck and pulled a four place loaded up to McBride this week. Barely noticed the trailer. So far I really like it, great piece of mind having the power.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not very often will I pull with it ....so maintaince costs , cold starts , etc as well as cost to own are a few reasons ... But I could be wrong here. So this is why I am asking , I guess...

Chrisp1

Reaction score
I had a 3/4 ton gasser and loved it. Pulled a 31' bumper pull trailer down into the US with no issues. Used the manual shift for hills. The 6.2 loves to rev ad sounds good doing it. Only reason I sold it was due to I was using it for work and they required a new truck every 3 years. I no longer use my personal truck for work and thought I'd try diesel. It's nice but the extra money up front and maintenence is a lot more. If your not towing a lot the gassers from any of the domestics will be more than fine in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not very often will I pull with it ....so maintaince costs , cold starts , etc as well as cost to own are a few reasons ... But I could be wrong here. So this is why I am asking , I guess...

You are not wrong here, the 6.2 ford will do everything you want, I have a 6.7 powerstroke and love it, however in the big pic if you look at the economics its hard to justify a diesel. Just an FYI the superdutys launch a new platform mid this year modeled after the f150 style I am told.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of the gassers will work, if you don't pull often then there's really no point to the diesel. I have an 08 Cummins and have not been too impressed by the electrical, other than that it's been a solid truck.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that GM doesn't put the 6.2 in their HD trucks, I think that would be the ticket. I prefer the Ford truck over the Dodge so F350 6.2 would be my choice.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was buying tomorrow is probably buy the exact same truck I have now but in a 2500. 3500 is a rough ride with the hemi. 2500 has coils and you can get factory air bags now if you need to level it out.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Once you own a good diesel I doubt you would ever go back. Pull a big trailer at 120 kph at 1500-1600 rpm and barely notice the hills. It is so relaxing compared to a screaming thirsty gasser. Also the new diesels oil changes are at 20,000 kms or more so maintenance costs are a wash. As for cold starts, they do take longer to warm up but still they will easily start with out being plugged in to well below -20C. They do cost more to get in to but you get most of that extra money back when you sell. One of the biggest benefits over a 1/2 ton is safety. Most 1/2 tons have shorter wheel bases and are lighter so when towing they get pushed around. The big trucks rarely brake loose on icy corners and have way more traction due to the weight. 1 ton used to ride rough but they sure are nice now. The Ram 3/4 ton is supposed to be the best in the industry for ride too with it's new coil spring design, and the payload went up too.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat.. Cant decide 2500 with 6.0 or 1500 with 6.2 and 8 speed. My brother has a 2500 6.4L Hemi that has been reliable and has a tons of power but loves fuel even when its not pulling.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat.. Cant decide 2500 with 6.0 or 1500 with 6.2 and 8 speed. My brother has a 2500 6.4L Hemi that has been reliable and has a tons of power but loves fuel even when its not pulling.

I'm pretty sure my next truck would be the 6.2l w/ 8sp and HD towing package. I'm in a 11 dmax right now, but my travel trailer is heavier than I'm comfortable pulling with a half ton at 7000-8000 lbs.

After owning the diesel I've realized I don't pull enough to really justify it. Gonna put a couple more years on it though as it ain't my daily driver.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with my 2005 dog-ram 2500 4 door long box at 300.000 kms with no majors repairs less all fulid changes. hemi 5.7 L gas, auto with 5000 lb air bags in the back of the lumber wagon.

Pulled a 4 place 33 foot V trailer with 2 on deck for 7 years all over BC, AB and edges of SK, then did a trip across of North America at 87.000 kms with 2 motorcycles and 23 foot holiday trailer for 1 years, the rest of her life was working oil patch and farming,,, tranny is starting too fade, but it will get me too the 400.000 mark I'm sure.

Replace unit will be a gas pot, 4 door half ton in a few years. Any gas unit will work since all you need to do is push the peddle to the floor.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My son just bought a new 2015 f150 4x4 crewcab shortbox 3.5l ecoboost.... Trailer towing capacity is 12000lbs, and payload is 3800lbs.... Wow! More than my old 2011 megacab diesel 3500 4x4...WTF?

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is a 3/4 ton 6.4 hemi. A guy at work has one and is a nice truck. Gets really good fuel millage with it to. But I am a dodge fan!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son just bought a new 2015 f150 4x4 crewcab shortbox 3.5l ecoboost.... Trailer towing capacity is 12000lbs, and payload is 3800lbs.... Wow! More than my old 2011 megacab diesel 3500 4x4...WTF?
I would like to see what that f 150 looks like with 3800lbs in the box lol. My 1 ton is 4100 lbs.

Top Bottom