ice scratchers??

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has designed their own scratchers using ready rod, bolts, cables, etc post some pics. Lets see these inventions.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a 1 3/4 inch bolt on the inside back corner of the ski. The bottom of the bolt is about 3/4 inch above the ground when on something hard like the trailer deck. When you go down the trail and the ski drops into an old skeg track then it contacts the snow and sends up a spray of ice chips to lubricate. They don't seem to affect steering probably because they aren't in constant contact with the snow. I never remove them (except to replace them when they get too short) and have never caught them on anything in 8 years.

flatlandguy

Reaction score
this is a great idea! Raspberrynitro, got any pics of the new improved design?
Good time to be working in the shop -31 and 30km/h wind in central Sask tonight.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a great idea! Raspberrynitro, got any pics of the new improved design?
Good time to be working in the shop -31 and 30km/h wind in central Sask tonight.

actuall i don't. i haven't done anything to my Nytro yet, but will try to post something tomorrow.............. if i can get off my azz & out of my shck for a cpl hrs to drill the holes in the skiis!!!!!:D

RN

wildone

Reaction score
TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha :: View topic - Homemade cable scratchers!!!!
The above link is to the homemade scratchers I use , just put them on and forget about them. Made them at 2000 miles and now have 4685 miles with about 0.100" of slide left. If I do not take any long trips I'm sure it would be safe to go to 5000 miles.
Only cons are that the cables start to break from flexing near a 1000 miles and the they start to beat the belly pan [ I replace the cables at 800 or so ]. Also they are always putting snow on the suspension and I end up with an extra 30 to 35 lbs. of snow and ice.

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
This is the best thing iv ever heard for ice scratchers, i was about to buy cable ones but this is way better and cheaper :d thanks for charing the idea

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind, this might be an issue if you snag a rock or a log etc.

Also might get a little hairy if you decide to roll down the hill and your sled lands on you.

I take mine out when I get to the deep stuff.

wildone

Reaction score
I've had them on 2 machines for approx. 5000mi on one and almost 4000mi on the other with no catching or any other problem. Since the 1st ones I had a set on for 3000mi, no idea why the lasted longer and just change them on spec. They are just on the sleds, might check them every few hundred mi.
Yamaha sells a copy called Tric which they have just recalled: this is why I think.
The mount needs a small tab to keep it from moving - I went thur this.
Don't make them to long or they will beat the crap out of the bottom of your sled.
They use a track stud to scratch, good idea, but makes the bottom to heavy and again beats the sled.
Make them simalar to my pics and your good to go.

mtnmaxman600

Reaction score
THe track stud is a geat idea I am going up to nothern WI riding the first weekend in Feb and I will try this on my SSX 600 and I will let you know how it works

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup............ what Summiteer said!!!! put a 3/8" bolt in the inside back corner of each ski & away you go........... no worries about lack of lubrication or over-heating anymore. don't have to worry about reverse either. just remember to take them out at the end of the day.

RN

Hey RaspberryNytro, sorry for the dumb question, but why remove them at the end of the day? For Trailering?
Anyway, that's one super idea!! doesn't effect steering at all??

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey RaspberryNytro, sorry for the dumb question, but why remove them at the end of the day? For Trailering?
Anyway, that's one super idea!! doesn't effect steering at all??

So they don't drag on the trailer, cement floor etc.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread people. Going to do this to both of my sleds. Hey RN, have you got a pic of where you put the new hole behind the spindle?:beer:

Highmaintenence

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought mine at Mountan Magic for $50. They were the exact same product a what Martin Motor Sports carries for $80. Get um they are GOOD! Don't reverse with them on!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread people. Going to do this to both of my sleds. Hey RN, have you got a pic of where you put the new hole behind the spindle?:beer:

inside of the ski about 1/2 way back or right at the back of the ski, your choice.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i have actually is a piece of 3/8 cold roll with a washer welded on it about the middle. put it up thru the bottom of the ski then put another washer on top of the ski, then slide a cotter pin into a pre-drilled hole in the scratcher. i have never changed a set of sliders in 8 yrs riding out in Golden........ no matter what the trails look like.(for good measure, we had a carbide tip welded onto tip of scratcher............. from skilsaw blade)

RN
View attachment 2971

View attachment 2972

That is a very good idea. does it spray the same amount of snow as an ice Scratchers?

Top Bottom