Ice Age x-brace

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chrisco "Parkland Motorsports" deals a lot with Iceage and might have them or at least get them for you.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
An article i read and ice age information(from their website) says the x-brace on the flex edges will hamper the full flex of the "t-motion" system with the x-brace on..... Think i'll just put the rail stiffeners on instead........

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An article i read and ice age information(from their website) says the x-brace on the flex edges will hamper the full flex of the "t-motion" system with the x-brace on..... Think i'll just put the rail stiffeners on instead........
Ya I read the same thing. If the skid won't move the way it's designed to im going with the stiffeners too

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a load of crap the rails don't move independently anyways and there is 6 cross shafts in the skid that don't allow them to move independently anyways

I could see maybe at the front but not way at the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a load of crap the rails don't move independently anyways and there is 6 cross shafts in the skid that don't allow them to move independently anyways
But shafts can twist, and the rails do twist, not a crazy amount but I could see the brace binding the rails

In the t motion there's not two pivots, it a cracked tube and pivot... So at max pivot one way I can see one rail at back having to flex, drop, lift.... More so at rear.... Just trying to recall with that demonstration t motion I seen at a sled show...

Put the x brace in and no more t motion twist - articulation

Last edited:

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone wants a x brace i have a order in with iceage right now for T3 bomber rails that wont ship for a week or so could add a couple braces to it and save on shipping

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
What the phuck did you say

I think he has Twisted Tea on the brain Sean.....LOL!
Think you have to give us a clear language version Tex... Ha Ha!

I do not think the brace should effect the skid articulation either. Just added strength between the rails.

Would it not be like adding an extra shaft between rails?
I would think that it would just stop lateral flexing on a single rail and help disperse the stresses between the two?

Not 100% sure! Just a theory. I am sure some young or old engineers on te site can add some insite...

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he has Twisted Tea on the brain Sean.....LOL!
Think you have to give us a clear language version Tex... Ha Ha!

I do not think the brace should effect the skid articulation either. Just added strength between the rails.

Would it not be like adding an extra shaft between rails?
I would think that it would just stop lateral flexing on a single rail and help disperse the stresses between the two?

Not 100% sure! Just a theory. I am sure some young or old engineers on te site can add some insite...

In theory, stiffening up the rear of the skid, will likely load the front arm slightly more in torsion. Those little cross shafts out back have little bearing area on the rail and can only do so much in keeping the rails truly vertical. There is some twisting behind the rear arm, it's probably not much, but it has to be there. Pretty simple moment theory. Adding the brace stiffens that section up, but only in torsion. What flex is removed there, will likely have to be picked up by the rails, cross braces, and front arm ahead of it.

In my mind, on the 154 and 146's, the benefits of this would be minimal. The distance between the rear arm mount and the rear axle is small and there isn't quite as much rail to support. In the 163's and 174's, it might be beneficial, but I really think it's difficult to say how much twisting is really going on. The only thing this brace does is keep the rails vertical. Is that really a problem? Hard to say....The job of the rail stiffener and this brace are really two different jobs IMO.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THIS IS DIRECTLY FROM THE ICE-AGE WEBPAGE.... THE LAST LINE SUMS UP WHAT THEY HAVE ENCOUNTERED(AS PER ENGINEERS):

[h=4]Product Description[/h]
Strengthen your stock or IceAge rails with the IceAge billet X-Brace. Provides increased torsional strength that far exceeds that of cross shafts or rail stiffners alone! Designed to mount between the rear suspension torque arm and rear idler wheels this brace has a massive footprint providing great rigidity in the rear suspension.
The X-Brace has light profile but massive footprint, providing far more strength then current cross shafts. This brace is designed to fit all OEM rails regardless of window patterns. The mini stiffner outside of the rails couples with the inner X allowing us sandwich the rail, providing maximum support of the rail beam.
The X-Brace can be bolted on essentially wherever space allows.

* Please check fitament before ordering
** Brace is 6.75" front to back, ensure proper clearance
*** Make sure brace has clearance at full suspension travel as to not cause damage to brace and rear suspension
**** This brace will dampen the affect of the Pro-Motion or T-Motion suspension as it limits flex in the rails.

Top Bottom