I need help..broke the secondary bolt inside the shaft

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
I was putting my secondary back on after cleaning it up for the season, and for some reason there was a bit of play in it. it was moving back and forth on the shaft about 1cm, i made sure i didnt lose any shims so i dont know why it wasnt tight...anyways i (stupidly) decided to really try to tighten up that bolt to try to get rid of that play....and then snap, broke the bolt inside the shaft :mad: so now what can i do? what is the best way to get the broken bolt out without damaging anything? I REALLY need some advice plz...and yes i know, im an idiot :eek:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Use a reversing drill and left hand drill bits and bolt extractors(easi-outs) and you should be okay................... If you're not comfortable with doing that, take it to a dealer or repair shop........it's only supposed to be about 20 ft lbs i believe to tighten that bolt :(

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, easy out's for sure.

That bolt is really weak tos tart with, there is a reason I carry a spare in my riding pack.

nabr

Reaction score
Ha Ha no not funny i did the same thing but than i broke the drill bitt off into the bolt. My good friend a machinest made a large bored shaft with w centre hole, sharpened a masanary bit and drilled it out fo me ha ha thats worse than you.:eek::d:d:d:d:beer::beer:

RockyMntKing

Reaction score
Would it be O.K to use a "super out"? it requires you to drill a hole in the broken bolt and tap it in. it basically looks like a torx head and its supposed to just grab it so you can turn it out. im a little bit concerned that hammering it into the end of the shaft could be bad..:confused: also if that doesnt work i might screw myself over and not be able to use easy out.

nabr

Reaction score
What ever you do TAKE YOUR TIME. I forgot i also broke the tap off in the bolt as well. thats why we needed the sharpend masonary bit to drill it out.:eek:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy out is the easiest but I have also welded a nut to the end of the brokin bolt! works slick but the reverse drill will probably take it out by itself!

Top Bottom