Hybrid Travel Trailers? Pros/Cons?

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan to camp in a lot of the National or Provincial Parks, many are starting a policy of no soft walled trailers if bears are in the area. It's due to the fact soft walls/hybrids still have fridges and food storage inside the trailer.

Hmm i never even thought of that ! that could certainly get expensive if a bear took a liking to your trailer / content inside haha :eek:

SilverGrizz700

Reaction score
There are so many options for hardwalled ultralights now I would consider one of those instead. Less hassles more efficient heat etc. etc.

It all comes down to what you want to spend and how many you need to fit.. for what we needed at the time ours was perfect. Lots of room inside. Your typicall lightweight hardwall is designed for 2 maybe 4 in a pinch.. but is not comfortable for lots of people.. there just isnt the room.. Yes it is more convenient for 2.. and probibly warmer.. but honestly I did not mind my hybrid.. it was what we could afford at the time and it fit all of us. We used it almost every weekend (summer) for 3 years?

Now the bears... well ya I have to say that may be more of a concern if you are planning to camp in a lot of bear area's it is something to consider.. I mean people tent in bear areas all the time but you have to be carefull. I always thought that worst came to worst we would just put the ends in and stay in our hardwall section..?

crmxgirl

Reaction score
I own a tent trailer toy hauler (starcraft RT36) We really like the unit, as it has an offroad package, is light and very roomy. Bathroom and shower are a plus. We can fit into many spaces, and take the quads without needing 2 vehicles. HOWEVER, at the end of the day I wish we had bought a hybrid or hardwall because of the simple fact that we do a lot of early spring (Sometimes 2 feet of snow on the ground) and late fall camping and the furnace will run all night at minus 10. The set up and take down sucks. Plain and simple. We had an old tent trailer before this and I found the old brown canvas held the heat in a lot better, but it was also less than half the size of the one we have now.

backseatrider

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there has or has had, or knows someone who's using them. We were kinda steering away from them, but it's hard to ignore the lighter weight. Looking for any feedback.

Thanks

If you haven't bought yet, Sledderglen just posted our trailer for sale on here. Actually it is my trailer and we are getting "our" trailer hopefully. I originally had a hybrid trailer with two pop outs, but Glen and Norm teased me so bad about bears that following a hail storm I traded it in for the one listed for sale. I loved the one with the popouts for the spaciousness of it. I am also short so getting the queen size bed up on my own was hard, I had to stand on the hitch. The unit we are selling is also a hybrid just no popouts. From looking at dealerships and other sites our selling pricing is fair as we want a quick sale.

Top Bottom