*** Hwy 16 Jasper closed ***

Krystal

Reaction score
Thanks again. I guess I better get on the phone and tell his boss he won't be in for the night shift tonight!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello....

Does anyone know if the highway is back open? My husband is trying to get through to Ft. Mac, and left yesterday morning. He made it as far as he could go, but last I heard from him (yesterday, 3:30 pm) he was headed into Valmount. His bank card shows no hotel charges, or even a restaurant charge. I am extremely worried as I have no idea where he is and there is no cell service in that entire area. I had assumed he would at least stop to eat, as I only packed him a small lunch yesterday morning. I heard there was an accident as well.... If anyone knows if the highway is open again, please post...I'm very worried!

The highway was closed before 3:30pm yesterday afternoon. If he was heading towards ft mac and was just gettin to valemount he wouldn't have got thru before they had closed the road. There is a long line of vehicles stuck at the spot where they closed the road so he may have made it past valemount and got out of cell range and due to the volume of vehicles sitting waiting he may very well have not been able to turn around to get back to valemount. The road should be re-opening anytime. If you go to drivebc.com and click on highway cams then click on red pass cam you will be able to see when vehicles start moving on the highway there again.

Krystal

Reaction score
Last I heard from him was 3:30 yesterday...he said he had been waiting in a line up since around noon. I looked at his bank charges and I see he gassed up in Valmount, so where he went after that is anyone's guess. Hotels, I imagine, were probably booked.

Thank you, I will check the cam.

Ug, I'm making him fly back next time!

4x4chick

Reaction score
I found this thread through a google search lol

We are in the line-up outside of valemount (trying to get to g prairie-picking up a vehicle)

The story from a few truckers is:
One trucker decided to pass another semi, and collided head on with the propane truck (who's driver is now deceased and was a local valemount resident)

Very sad :(

Still waiting, talked to a local dot officer he said 12 but who knows ......

Stay safe everyone !!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found this thread through a google search lol

We are in the line-up outside of valemount (trying to get to g prairie-picking up a vehicle)

The story from a few truckers is:
One trucker decided to pass another semi, and collided head on with the propane truck (who's driver is now deceased and was a local valemount resident)

Very sad :(

Still waiting, talked to a local dot officer he said 12 but who knows ......

Stay safe everyone !!

I know how stories can be. But semi's were not trying to pass each other.

4x4chick

Reaction score
It will be interesting to get the full story then (this was from a trucker who talked to dot)

:confused:

riverside

Reaction score
Just got back from a quick drive south down highway 5 from Tete Jaune Cache and then back to 16 west toward McBride - traffic has just started moving about 10 minutes ago - was backed up all the way to Va:)lemount (20 km) and don't know how far toward Jasper from junction at Tete Jaune. Weather is good here now - warming with sunshine - -12C at Tete Jaune right now. Have not yet heard any local news re accident.

Krystal

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. My husband finally called me, just outside of Hinton. He said he spent the night in the truck as hotels were all booked. He said he saw the propane truck, it looked bad. Condolences to the families of the people hurt/killed.

I am making him fly now until Spring!

lazydog

Reaction score
Any more news on how the traffic is flowing. I just spoke to my husband who is on his way back from Calgary, via the Edmonton route, and he's approaching Hinton and doesn't know whether to try to get through to T.Jaune (home) or stay with friends in Jasper. I don't like the sound of him trying to come home if he's going to be moving 3km in 4 hrs, but maybe it's moving more steadily now?

Last edited:

Monkey

Reaction score
No news yet, last I heard from my husband was 2.5 hours ago and he had only moved about 4km as well in 4 hours. Spotty cell service there and haven't heard anything since. The hwy cam isn't showing a lot of traffic travelling through there either.

If I were your husband and had the time I would just stay the night in Jasper.

lazydog

Reaction score
No news yet, last I heard from my husband was 2.5 hours ago and he had only moved about 4km as well in 4 hours. Spotty cell service there and haven't heard anything since. The hwy cam isn't showing a lot of traffic travelling through there either.

If I were your husband and had the time I would just stay the night in Jasper.

I really hope your husband gets through soon! Mine has decided he is staying in Jasper, which I think is wise. Thank goodness we have friends there because I doubt his mum would have taken too well to sleeping in the car :eek: and I expect the hotels will be full.

Leona Eyben

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
We just arrived in McBride at 7pm today after being stuck in Jasper since 5am this morning there is one lane traffic only still and they are letting 5 to 6 vehicles go in either direction, there is still about 20 miles of traffice backed up from the accident west. It was a real nightmare, but no one was passing so once you got through the accident scene you were able to drive 70 to 80 km per hour much better than this morning. There is no cell service, so try not to worry there was no more accidents other that the semis that were from yesterday. hopefully you will hear soon thanks Leona

Does anyone know if the highway is back open? My husband is trying to get through to Ft. Mac, and left yesterday morning. He made it as far as he could go, but last I heard from him (yesterday, 3:30 pm) he was headed into Valmount. His bank card shows no hotel charges, or even a restaurant charge. I am extremely worried as I have no idea where he is and there is no cell service in that entire area. I had assumed he would at least stop to eat, as I only packed him a small lunch yesterday morning. I heard there was an accident as well.... If anyone knows if the highway is open again, please post...I'm very worried![/QUOTE]

littlehoe

Reaction score
well just made it into hinton... took about 7 hours to get through from valemount... it was slow going... saw the propane truck and also the 2 semi's doesn't look good... Appeared to be 2 semis almost side by side pointed the same way and one was crushed on the left front and the other the right front, almost like the propane guy had no where to go and went for the middle hoping for a chance... Condolences to the families of all those involved... when we got through at between 7-8pm alberta time there was still about 10km of traffic lined up on the jasper side of the accident and they were probably getting close to getting the one semi out of the left lane but they still needed to get the trailer from the left lane and get the complete semi out of the ditch on the right side... I was very surprised at the limited amount of heavy haulers they had out there... I figured they would have called in some big wreckers from Hinton/Edson way...

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolences to the drivers family.... We were sledding this weekend in Valemount, and the roads suck....Drive safe to all heading home tonight and those of us heading home tomorrow

Top Bottom