how to remove M7 steering post ?

freehand

Reaction score
Hey friends. I am in the middle of changing a steering post I have everything off but the bottom of post has a swivel with threads on it . How the heck do I remove it anyone Tks

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you gotta reach up from the bottom and take the nut of the bottom of the swivel piece. if i remember right you got to slide your hand up between the track and the bulkhead, it should have loctite on it so it make be a little stubborn to bust off, i know it is a pita when the sled is on it's skis. i'd suggest finding a way to tip it over if possible or get a felxible arm up there

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey friends. I am in the middle of changing a steering post I have everything off but the bottom of post has a swivel with threads on it . How the heck do I remove it anyone Tks

Hey Fellow Sled Head! I just did this last weekend to my M800, added the telescopic post! I picked up the front end of the sled, setting it on a firewood chopping block about 3 feet off the ground, make sure sled is stable from side to side. DO NOT USE A BUMPER JACK! THE JACK WILL KICK OUT. I grabbed a 12" extension with swivel for my ratchet, slid a sheet of plywood I had kicking around under the bellypan/track area. Make sure to turn your track as to get the socket extension to line up nicely on the NUT.The nut is located between the front rounded area of your track and the back wall of the steering post area. You will see it, mine was shiny gold grade 8 nut with a bit of lock tite on it. Be sure to loctite it back on. I used blue loctite and torqued it back to my manual suggestion.... Hope that helps. I took pics as I went along!

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are the steps to doing this?? do i take the nut off the bottom first then take the handle bars off??? i am switching mine from the adjustable to the fixed on my 09 M8.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After all is said and done,I recommend getting rid of that little plastic bushing that mounts on the top and replace it with a BDX anti slop bushing kit.Put one on mine and what a diffrence.

Last edited:

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After all is said and done,I recommend getting rid of that little plastic bushing that mounts on the top and replace it with a BDX anti slop bushing kit.Put one on mine and what a diffrence.

I agree, got a on mine too, huge difference!

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got my 07 fixed steering post in my 09 HCR it was very easy to do!!! It is solid once again works great. I never tried to BDX anti slop but i just didn't like the adjustable bars from day one. So if anybody is looking for an Adjustable Steering post and 2inch AMP riser for it PM me a price..

Top Bottom