How to deal with clutch heat

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us were talking about how to deal with clutch heat and one of the guys swears by venting.I beleave venting is only dealing with the symptom. Good clutching should not build excessive heat. In other words if thereis excessive heat you have work to do on the clutches, not just vent to loose heat.

Any thoughts on this approach or should a person just go western medicine on the sled and just deal with symptoms.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us were talking about how to deal with clutch heat and one of the guys swears by venting.I beleave venting is only dealing with the symptom. Good clutching should not build excessive heat. In other words if thereis excessive heat you have work to do on the clutches, not just vent to loose heat.

Any thoughts on this approach or should a person just go western medicine on the sled and just deal with symptoms.
I concur with your theory. venting is a band aid for poor clutching if one is having belt problems.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do like some venting but only once everything runs cool in the fist place .

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vented panels and drilled cover helps cooling but like stated you're probably misaligned my sled went over 1000km on the stock belt then 2rides maybe 80km and the next one went needed a little shimming after doing a clutch swap

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do like some venting but only once everything runs cool in the fist place .
If I was 20 years younger, I would most likely need venting because I could have probably held it to the bar for more than a few minutes at a time. "hangin' and bangin" has a lot different meaning and duration in my 40's....

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My recomendation is to quit burping the throttle all the time. Brapp brapp brapp. Those clutchs really work during that. Brapppp Brappppp Brappppp bbbbbrrrrraaaapppppp. Just my idea

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
What do you consider hot for clutches?(Temp Gun, or just touch of hand?) and how can you tell the difference between clutch heat and engine heat heating up your clutches?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you consider hot for clutches?(Temp Gun, or just touch of hand?) and how can you tell the difference between clutch heat and engine heat heating up your clutches?
I packed a handheld infrared temp gun around for a month or so with the '08 doo, I can't recall high temps but spit would sizzle on the sheaves when it was blowing belts. it is still my opinion that sleds that were blowing pto bearings were a direct result of clutch heat baking the isoflex out of the bearing by transferring heat from the clutch. tells me that a slipping belt generates far more heat than the engine can at the stub. would be interesting to take that temp gun and point it at the block and the primary on a new doo with the plastic cooling housing and see if there is a difference.

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
Yea now im curious, iv never ever check any clutch for how hot it is after a pull up a hill vs riding up the trail vs boondocking for a bit. My sled stays around 50-60 Celsius for the water temp soo i cant see the motor block being hotter but the pipe might be more of a culprit. Im going to bring a temp gun out next time im riding.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for shits and giggles, here's what a non x package summit front shock reads after the renshaw trail on an '09 rental....this was back at the trucks so it had cooled off some lol

pics052Large.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol who would of thought!
it was a lot hotter than that, I touched it with my hand before I went searching for the gun and it was hot I tell ya. I ran that thing as hard as I could down the trail to the truck, noticed it steaming when I loaded...lol

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iv always ment to get a temp gun. I never claimed to be a great tuner but have learnt through the years what working clutches feel like and what slipping,or out of line.....clutches feel like.
Also I think I get the most heat boondocking, and that seemed to get less as my riding style got better. Maybe it was as I got older or better at clutching

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch gets hot with friction, friction is power that is not getting to the snow, cooler clutch means. More efficient Not to many belts blow on cool clutch But. Also. There is a lot of heat under the hood. With snow covering what factory vents there are, it doesn't take long to get dam hot in there, I think venting is good to get some of the heat out. Especially when you stop Good luck. Ride hard and buy more belts

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A properly clutched sled produces minimal heat. You should be able to touch the sheaves with your hand.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mark Ive bought my share of them for that m7... Thank god both my 2013's work a bit better than that lol

Top Bottom