How Many of You Guys Plow With your ATV?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just spent the last couple hours wrenching... I purchased a plow for my quad an I am wondering if I should have just put a 48" blade on the thing... the blade I bought is a 60". I'm thinking that when the snow is heavy like it is right now that I might be biteing off more than I can chew? I have about 400 feet of driveway to plow, a loop style driveway. My quad is a 500 Cat... Should have I just bought the 48" blade, Easier to Push? :confused::confused:

Any of you with experience pushing snow with your atv please reply, I can always get the 48" before I use the 60" :rolleyes:

I made the Cat decal for the blade just because it was way too "Yellow" it needed to be less Dooish :)

Attachments

• 2008_0130QuadPlow0003.jpg
    2008_0130QuadPlow0003.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 2008_0130QuadPlow0002.jpg
    2008_0130QuadPlow0002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 177

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well just use low range and let those tires bite...my dad plows our drive withour 700 sportsman...but dont know blade width...it works awsome untill we get the wet heavy stuff...next year i hope we get the plow on the rhino :D

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only thing I have heard is be prepared to spend the dough on the drive line if you plow. I guess it's pretty hard on those litte gears. What I heard was it's not worth it in the end. Don't know this for fact though, only rumer. I guess though, what else are you gunna do? Unless you have a neighbour or a contractor around with bigger equipment and just save this for emergancies or light clearing.

See, now I am just talking, trying to get to 1000 posts. :D

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what happens at 1000 posts...spunds like a challenge :p:D
and we have ONLY blown one built on our quad and weve had it since 2000 or 2001

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guy that works for me has a foreman 500 with 60"plow and has about the same about of driveway on acreage in rich valley. He's been doin it for about 2 years and has had no problem ...yet....even brings to jobsite and does the site once in awhile. Should be fine

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots and lots of people plow with quads(I dunno about CAT quads):D
May want to throw tire chains on though. The 2 or 3 guys I know that have blades have the 48"er but they don't have 10 acres(sorry 17 Hectares) to plow.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 60" plow on my brute 750 and haven't had any problems yet. Have about the same amount of drive way with a loop. With the 60" it's wider than the quad so you won't have problems driving through the ridge coming off the end of the plow. Does your plow have adjustable height pads so your not digging into the gravel?

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the 7' snowbear blade for my truck...............It all gets done in a short period of time in the relative comfort of my truck, blade mounts easily and quickly. just turn up the tunes and go

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have a 48" blade on my 400 BRP they work great, the best addition to that was the tire chains. I have them on the back tires only, but I would add them for sure. I live in the park but I have a long L shaped driveway and 48" is good at home but at your place I would think a 60" would be fine.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I using the 60" blade on my 450Foreman. No problems yet. Same u-shaped dirveway on 4 acre lot.
Only thing I've been told by dealer is any plow is harder on tierods. I guess from when the blade digs in and stops the quad?

GRD

Reaction score
I just spent the last couple hours wrenching... I purchased a plow for my quad an I am wondering if I should have just put a 48" blade on the thing... the blade I bought is a 60". I'm thinking that when the snow is heavy like it is right now that I might be biteing off more than I can chew? I have about 400 feet of driveway to plow, a loop style driveway. My quad is a 500 Cat... Should have I just bought the 48" blade, Easier to Push? :confused::confused:

Any of you with experience pushing snow with your atv please reply, I can always get the 48" before I use the 60" :rolleyes:

I made the Cat decal for the blade just because it was way too "Yellow" it needed to be less Dooish :)

Looks good... Nice clean shop too.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 48" on my 700 and wish I had gotten wider. Most of the time I have it angled and then my quad sticks out a little on each side. I think you're better off with the 60".

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been ploughing for 12 years now with my 60" on a 400 Foreman. I always pough with the blade on an angle. If the snow gets wet and heavy and you spin out whitch hardly ever happens just back up and take a half cut at it. If you go smaller blade, it will just take longer to plough.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60" on my foreman. Been doing pretty much my hole subdivisions driveways. Man have I been rewarded for my Plow guy services...... I have recieved more booze than I know what to do with, pies, baking, etc.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
48" state plow on my little outlander 400, no chains and haven't worn a belt or anything. it works great as long as you do it shortly after the snow falls, even the wife will get out there and do it while I'm at work. mine looks like the highway snowplows, higher on one side and throws the snow off to the side so you don't have to plow the same snow over and over again. mind you, I'm travelling a little faster than the recommened 5km/h......good as long as you have a nice flat base.

steveo

Reaction score
I plow my driveway with a 48" plow with my grizz 660 and never had a problem and i'v been using it for 2 years only problem lately is the damn thing wont start because of the cold:(

Top Bottom