How fast? 2003 Summit 800 151 Stock

fordevr

Reaction score
I bought a 800 Summit and it needed some clutch work and a belt alignment and a seal, so I havn't been able to try it out much. It would only do about 120kph. The mech said once the clutch is not so stiff It will perform much better. Anyone know how fast a stock 2003 summit 800 will go? :d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are not fast. maybe 140km/h uunder load in snow. maybe 180 down a road.

they are geared low to spin the large track in the mountains. if you wanted an actual fast sled that is the wrong one for you.

and what does the mechanic mean by clutch not so stiff? lol

fordevr

Reaction score
and what does the mechanic mean by clutch not so stiff? lol

I'm far from a Mech., so thats how I translated what the mech said. You know if you turn your clutch slow by hand, you can hear a click sound...well mine wasn't doing that, because the thingys that usually click were stiff.
If I have lots of bottom for the mountains and can still pull 180kph top I will be very happy.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm far from a Mech., so thats how I translated what the mech said. You know if you turn your clutch slow by hand, you can hear a click sound...well mine wasn't doing that, because the thingys that usually click were stiff.
If I have lots of bottom for the mountains and can still pull 180kph top I will be very happy.

i know what he means lol.

but 180 would be on a road. you wont see that on a lake.

you can play with your gearing but these are torque monsters not lake racers.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Dream on about 180 kph... There is no way that they will go fast unless you start changing tracks, gearing, clutching etc... be happy with 130 kph on the road/lake... that means that the sled is geared and set up properly for the hills!

My suggestion is if you aren't hearing that "clicking" from the primary clutch, you take it apart and clean it all up. They should move freely and if they haven't already been cleaned, there is definitely something that is restricting that movement. Hope that helps.

fordevr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Considering the last machine I rode before this year was my dads 1977 440 Motoski (which he took to the mountains and loved, in the late 70's at valemont) It will be awesome. The boys at the dealer are takin good care of me. Just told me today, that someone had recently redid the motor and it was making 145 on both cylinders. However the last guy in there also forgot to put the seal on the crank, on the Mag side....whatever that means...should be good as new when I get it back. It will be awesome for this winter, (something cheap to hone my skills in on) and then I will sell it next year and maybe get a 08' Summit or renegade.

It's Forsale between April and Dec. ;)

fordevr

Reaction score
HEY I GOT A GOOD IDEA!! :confused: LETS SEE WHO REALLY KNOWS WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT, AND WHOS FULL-A-CRAP.

POST YOUR TOP SPEEDS FOR THIS SLED AND WHEN I GET IT BACK I WILL GPS IT ON HARD PACK AT THE LAKE!!!

PUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS. :d:beer:

Then I will know who to talk to next time I have a question!!! :d

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Should be fun!

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
120-130km and it will do it alot faster that a short track! ive seen 150 when on a stand but thats it

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I had the same identical machine in a 144 and the fastest I ever got it was across the lake just under 150km. Never did it again! 140ish seemed to be it. Loved it though. Great sounding sled with a can on it!! :beer::d:beer:

fordevr

Reaction score
120-130km and it will do it alot faster that a short track! ive seen 150 when on a stand but thats it

Too easy...120-130KPH. Give me one Number ;)

PS. Someone might want to try a digit other than "0" for there last digit. lol

I'm gonna say 138KPH

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm going to say about 132kmph faster than the tree you hit wjhile looking down to check your gps.:d lol jk

fordevr

Reaction score
i'm going to say about 132kmph faster than the tree you hit wjhile looking down to check your gps.:d lol jk

You must be a SASK. boy if the only trees you have are in the middle of a lake. ;)

fordevr

Reaction score
cant get more accurate than 5 on those tachs raelly. especially going that fast. and they arent super accurate anyways.

I'm using my GPS and gonna hold it for about 2 miles. It will be +/- 1 kph.

Hey Magnet is that what they use in SASK. lol "132 KMPH"

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Not runnin a 800.... but the 1999 670x 144" X 2" pulls 147km/h across the lake:d

1997 A/C mountain cat cougar 550 with 136" 1 1/4 finger track pulls 125...sorry 126 Km/h

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock 670 does 131.2/kph across the lake. or 82 mph ask tko he can verify that same speed as an 09 xp

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
stock 670 does 131.2/kph across the lake. or 82 mph ask tko he can verify that same speed as an 09 xp

Dunno whats been done to the wifes then... unless the speedo is off because it's consistant 147...... I'm also built like a jockey with a beer gut if weight matters

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wasn't getting full speed either was running at about 8800rpm wasn't getting full clutch action and the snow was softer then.

Top Bottom