How Cold is Too Cold?

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought my limit was around -20C until last winter when we went to Whitecourt. Temperatures dipped to -34 overnight and warmed up to -25 later on. We rode without getting too cold so now have a new limit of -25C. Gotta like the new clothing and boots. I do prefer around -10 to -5 though.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At what point is it too cold to sled? (both from a human standpoint and the sled's mechanicals)
Yesterday today tommorro next day.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is too cold if you have to say to yourself. IF MY SLED QUITS CAN I WALK OUT OF HERE WITH ALL OF MY TOES AND FINGERS OR WILL I LEAVE SOME BEHIND! That's what scares me.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when the high school closed at 40 below,we would fire up the snowmobiles and head out to the cabin..
Boris and Adrian doubled on there 1970 Rupp 440,Dan also had a Rupp 440 ,Doug had a SKIROULE ,Wilber had a Arctic cat puma 440 and Dale had a very fast hard to start PUMA 634 and Wes had the tow truck,, 203 SNO cruiser..he usually pulled one of us home,I had a 669 TNT that was also a bear to start ..traded that off for a new Rupp 23 Sprint..we would get the local RCMP to chase us around town..we had files welded on our runners,and 1/4 in bolts in our tracks..the RCMP had a stock AC ..but we drank together after he was off duty...was good times back then...

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ride down to about -30 C as growing up in Sask there would be weeks with no alternative. The point about small break downs becoming serious is a great one. The other point I would like to make is the risk of getting separated. Two years ago a good friend of mine and his buddy went for a Friday night ride just about 20 km away on Dec 29th, the temp was -40 C. On the way back they got separated and my buddy ended up taking a different trail and never made it back to his cabin. By the time his friend realized he was not behind him and eventually found him pinned under his sled more than a couple of hours lated it was too late. Friend had passed away and left behind his wife and three kids. A fun ride turned horribly tragic. If you do choose to ride in the extreme cold - wear the gear, have emergency supplies, never ride alone, and stick together.

Top Bottom