How about Powder King

GRD

Reaction score
Grreat to here stories like that....

quick story about the awesome people most mountain sledders are, about 5 years ago in Hasler a dude fired up his sled in the parking lot and when he blipped the throttle it stuck and went flying across the parking lot by itself and smacked into my pickup, right into the drivers' side rear wheel. the guy's sled was badly damaged and he was done for the day. this happened after we had left the parking lot, and we are usually one of the last groups off the mountain. this guy sat there ALL DAY waiting for us to return to let me know what happened (he was in deep pow the day before in Powder King), the only thing I could see on the wheel was a clean spot where it hit on the rim, otherwise no damage at all. I thanked him for hangin' around for us, and gained even more respect for my fellow sledders.

muskegman

Reaction score
Hey Summit,
I have to appoligize I will not be able to make it to Pine pass area to get some pics before the snowflies; however I will be sure to make it up there for some great pics of the snow.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
That's okay, I was looking for some winter pics. Thanks for leting me know.
Steve
Hey Summit,
I have to appoligize I will not be able to make it to Pine pass area to get some pics before the snowflies; however I will be sure to make it up there for some great pics of the snow.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We go from Fort St. John all the time to PK we never have a bad time. My brother drives from Onoway Ab. 7hr one way to do a ride then he drives home. The riding is the best I have sledded all over western Canada and nothing can come close for powder:d

Go Hard Or Go Home

Reaction score
what kind of riding is there ? and what condition like know, maybe head there in stead of going to Blue river, ant info would be awsome.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Was in Powder King last weekend Had some hard pack but found snow in the trees. All ways a good time Keep away from the ski hill. The owner not a big sledding fan. He has made a groomed trail around the ski hill. Too bad he has a nice place to have lunch or supper and has great parking. Still lots of area to sled. We go every two weeks.:d:d

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to powder king snowboarding about 3-4 years ago and sledders were sharing the same parking lot as the ski hill. They don't anymore? We were planning to try it someday and thought we could stay at the ski hill "hotel"(Atco trailer when I was there). Had I great time in the pub and I remember the waiteress had a sled! I remember waking up Sun to the sound of sleds.We stayed in a motor home in the parking lot. Any info if they aren't sled friendly anymore would be great. The day I was there we had 4 1/2 feet of fresh!!!!

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to powder king snowboarding about 3-4 years ago and sledders were sharing the same parking lot as the ski hill. They don't anymore? We were planning to try it someday and thought we could stay at the ski hill "hotel"(Atco trailer when I was there). Had I great time in the pub and I remember the waiteress had a sled! I remember waking up Sun to the sound of sleds.We stayed in a motor home in the parking lot. Any info if they aren't sled friendly anymore would be great. The day I was there we had 4 1/2 feet of fresh!!!!

You can't stay in the parking lot or even unload, check there website for snow updates. I think you can stay in the hillbillie hotel but you would have to trailer out of there. Its to bad, the hill would be super busy, probable to busy.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:I talked to a buddy that has a cabin in Powderking he told me that a sledder went across the sky hill at a fast rate of speed, Was stopped by the owner was told to please keep away from the skiers so nobody would get hurt. Well.... at the end of the yelling the sledder spit in the face of the owner and this is why we can't sled near or go to the ski hill.. I think that this sledder gave all of us a bad name and somebody should steal his sled with no insurance to cover him. People like me try to keep the peace and we should all work to keep a good name for all of us I have sledded since 1968 and this is the worst I have heard.:nono::nono:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks that one can spoil it for the rest of us! I will probably never go there now. Its a long drive to nowhere as it was, now to have to worry about your truck, where to park,not welcome, etc. And the worst part, the waitress/bartender with the sled was SMOKING HOT.:perfect10:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We still go buy we park at Azozzetta lodge it is about 3 miles up the hiway to Chetwynd. I think he has rooms and you are locked in over night. He sleds and is a nice guy when you get to know him, He has coffee and hotdogs for lunch. My next trip in I will get some info from him and pass it on.

dirtbag

Reaction score
hey is anybody going out sunday or monday I would love to get out around one of the areas near powder king need someone to ride with

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d:d We are going out on Saturday to Oldfriend. That is right by Powderking more south and on the east side of the road, Good sledding but the road sucks 7k in. We have 6 guy's now. If Saturday works get back to me. We are out of Fort St. John

dirtbag

Reaction score
I cant make it saturday ,if its a regular thing and you guys are going next weekend to I will plan for it for sure,...anybody,sunday or monday going or want to go

gxsrboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode silver sands last weekend and the snow was great of course we had a buddy that new the area,we have had alot of nice weather since then,but slushy snow can be fun to, i think we are going to beaver creek on monday(10+/-km form pk)

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Powder King last week for 4 nights in a cabin right on the hill. We had a great time, lots of fresh snow. We went over to PK one morning and spoke to Jim, the owner, about riding around the ski hill. He was a pretty good guy (not a bad guy at all) and he gave us the lowdown on where we could ride around the hill. They have groomed the pipeline both ways from the ski hill for us to ride on to get away from the hill. Once you get to where the groomer has turned around you can blast up through the trees anywhere you want. Right at the ski hill there is a groomed trail that goes down below the hill, use it. When riding on the groomed trail near the residential area's, drive slow. There is a lot of locals that own and ride sleds at PK so they are not totally against sleds. Use your head when riding near the hill, respect the rules there and we should be able to keep on riding there. Look on PK's website for a link to the cabin rentals at the hill, if you're interested. Just checked PK's website 545 cm base, but no snow in the last 72 hours. Oh yah there website is powderking.com, hope this helps.

Cheers;:beer::d
Shane

renegad

Reaction score
hey frock we stayed at PK for a week at the end of March. Same experience with Jim the hill owner. Rode the groomed trail till it ended then did whatever we wanted. Did ask about parking at the hill and he seemed to think it would be alright ASK 1ST and he charged $10/day seems reasonable to me way cheaper than the experiences I have had parking on the highway.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I parked my truck and 4 place enclosed at the hill as well. No room at the cabin except on the street and they were plowing them everyday. I was kind of leary of leaving my truck there, but nothing was touched. For sure Renegad, $10/day is way cheaper then what some have lost parking on the highway. Renegad, where do you guys ride when you stay at PK?

Cheers;
Shane

renegad

Reaction score
Hi frock i have been riding the pine pass lots in the last 7 years many great areas. If you want more details on an area. Let me know.

Top Bottom