hot water on demand systems ??/

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
since im renovating my place i loooked into purchasing hot water on damand

there is electric and gas units

the electric one wouldnt work now here i guess since i only have 100amp circuit in my place and it would cost a fortune to upgrade to 200amp

just wondering who might have a gas hot water on damand unit and could give me some info on how they like it or where they got it from ?

thx alot

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric ones are inexpensive and easy to install as there is no flue required. They are 100% efficient as well.
If you have natural gas available and have a flue (chimney) then that is the best way to go.
I went with several smaller electric ones at my cabin down by Fernie and it worked well but there isn't any natural gas there and so I would have to have a propane tank sitting outside - and I hate the look of big ugly propane tanks. Also I have only one bill to pay and I am going to be putting solar power in and probably solar hot water heating too in the future.

Home Depot has various models they sell. Probably as good as any place to buy. If you are having someone install it then it is just a cheap to have him supply it (and warranty it).

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a gas model (nuvien)that thing is fricken awsome was installed when house was built three years no issues,can be used to heat house as well,did install a loop to circulate during peak use times so hot water is instant

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
my furnace runs on gas so shouldnt be a prob to tug the demand water in there

had electric units all already looked out and than got the bummer that it wouldnt work here :(

so gas it will be or back to the ugly old style highly costly water tank :(

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my furnace runs on gas so shouldnt be a prob to tug the demand water in there

had electric units all already looked out and than got the bummer that it wouldnt work here :(

so gas it will be or back to the ugly old style highly costly water tank :(
Rip your old hot water tank out and install gas unit and vent out the side of your trailer can get takagi's from ebay for around 600 done deal. Done lots in older homes where they replaced old electric water heaters. Al you need is a 120volt plug for them. Or this item on ebay 390380447442.

Last edited:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
looks like i might have to visit u this week ron :) and talk a bit about that hehe

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a gas model (nuvien)that thing is fricken awsome was installed when house was built three years no issues,can be used to heat house as well,did install a loop to circulate during peak use times so hot water is instant

my buddy has the same one it friggin rocks hot water like right now but they are pricey but worth it:rolleyes:

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one installed about 3 months before I sold my last house. It was great, unlimited hot water and no pilot light running constantly. It did take a little longer to get hot water to some of the taps but not really a big deal. I think the have about a 25 yr life span where hot water tanks are good for about 10 years. If my new house didn't have a new hot water tank in it I would have put another on demand system in.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold them while working at a plumbing wholesaler.

Pros
Not paying to heat 50 gallons of water 24/7
Endless hot water
Quick hot water (provided you put in a re-circ loop)

Cons
Costs more in the outset.

I think we calculated the pay off at 5 years. That was for straight retail costing and install by a pro.

Frankly, if you were putting into a new build, would be foolish to put in a tank. Hell, with a heating box you can run radiant floor heat from the On demand system as well. Very worth it.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that water softeners are needed? Any truth to that?

Here's a politicians answer for you... Depends on the water coming into your house. Hard water will 'gum up' the internal parts. You would need to get your water tested in order to know. I can't recall how hard the water needs to be before a softener is needed, but I'm sure I could find out.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a politicians answer for you... Depends on the water coming into your house. Hard water will 'gum up' the internal parts. You would need to get your water tested in order to know. I can't recall how hard the water needs to be before a softener is needed, but I'm sure I could find out.

thats the one problem I heard if water calcium builds up in the unit it will slowly clog and no real way to clean? and slowly no hot water pressure

I believe all of calgary has nice hard water so this happens very quick in these units so not many peeps do this??? unless u install a softner too I guess

the idea is great,,

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
contact me with yer deets and i can hook ya up..im at frontier plumbing and heating supplies in edmonton..we doo all that stuff!.i gots the right peeps for the job!..greg..780-643-8787

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not put a softener in? If there's remotely any issues with hard water, it's a no brainer. It's better for your skin, hair, clothes, dishwasher, etc. Most of the newer ones are demand based and only regenerate when needed.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not put a softener in? If there's remotely any issues with hard water, it's a no brainer. It's better for your skin, hair, clothes, dishwasher, etc. Most of the newer ones are demand based and only regenerate when needed.

well if money was never an issue I would also have 14lbs of boost on my sled lol,,, i believe the water softner unit will add to the cost corect? How much are they I do not know.

but yeah otherwise why not have a softner of course but I think he was trying to be budget concious.

cheers

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are a great unit to have. You will never run out of hot water. I put them in all the time. If you have hard water you can simply flush the heat exchanger out and you are back in buisness.

Shortcut

Reaction score
On demand definately the way to go, I have a Rinnai that also feeds my heatlink pannel for the garage and house slabs, no problems, fyi hooked up the heatlink system for approx 3600.00, Rinnai was about 2300.00 installed.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he lives in town.

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great, make sure to put a recirc line in to speed up the process if you go that route. They are way better than a tank!

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the gas hot water on demand and love it .had dishwasher, washing maching and ran a hot tub same time ..Once the waters hot its hot. And the extra space that the hot water tank used to take up is nice too, What I dont like .the wasted water at the start to get the hot water, but once its hot its there .

Top Bottom