Horsey Creek?

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why would the local S&R not go into horsey? I've been in there once and it was some great terrain. Definitely not for newbies but great riding nonetheless.
I would say i'm a intermediate rider and their not to many places I don't go but when u get to my age u think twice before u go into a area. To be 20 again with the way this sport is going with all the new machines would be awsome but when u get a littlee older it takes a little longer to recover plus their are so many great areas to ride in that why do u need to go into areas like horse creek where u claim there is no area for even a helicopter to land if needed and yes their are hard areas to ride in but rescue groups will go into these areas but not into horse creek. So why wouldn't peaple listen to a group of guys who rescue peaple for a living wouldn't go their so why would I and it doesn't matter how much training u have if u keep going into unsafe areas your luck is going to run out and we no the mountains are not that forgiving.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why would the local S&R not go into horsey? I've been in there once and it was some great terrain. Definitely not for newbies but great riding nonetheless.
I met one of the rescue guys last year and he said if the area is not safe to get into to do the rescue they won't go because instead of doing a rescue they may be the group being rescued.The only group I no of that would go into a area like this is s&r in the military and they are the best but the group of peaple that do this are localy volenters and they do a great job but they aren't trained like the military.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why put yourself and others at risk. It is well known that Horsey Creek is an avalanche trap and you are taking your chances going there.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to dangerous. not one good spot for a helicopter to land without being in some sort of danger from an avalanche runout

You are correct and it is to dangerous as deemed by S&R to go in on the ground so we don't. the coppers need an avy tec. on board to land in the backcountry and most spots in horsey are to much of a risk for a safe landing.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to dangerous. not one good spot for a helicopter to land without being in some sort of danger from an avalanche runout
There are safe areas to land at Horsey but not very many and there is no way to get to the end of the lakes without crossing several slide paths that slide every year. The runouts by the lake take out the entire flat section and into the tress and over the cliff. Anyone who has seen the aftermath of the slides in this area knows that the survival rate will be zero as the recovery would be over the edge past the trees.
There is a reason that there are so many short trees up there. Even at the lower elevations,to the right of the Y evry climb is through short leaning trees that run to the creek. When an area has well over 50% of it's area as sketchy at best you really have to give it some serious thought!!!

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
Soooooo...for the rest of us who love the area
has the trail been made up the waterfall yet?
My buddies and I broke trail to the base of the waterfall a couple of weeks back (2 DEC 2012)
needed more snow back then...hoping somebody who loves this area would shed a little light on
conditions
Thanks
Cheers

Bigbragg

Reaction score
I would say i'm a intermediate rider and their not to many places I don't go but when u get to my age u think twice before u go into a area. To be 20 again with the way this sport is going with all the new machines would be awsome but when u get a littlee older it takes a little longer to recover plus their are so many great areas to ride in that why do u need to go into areas like horse creek where u claim there is no area for even a helicopter to land if needed and yes their are hard areas to ride in but rescue groups will go into these areas but not into horse creek. So why wouldn't peaple listen to a group of guys who rescue peaple for a living wouldn't go their so why would I and it doesn't matter how much training u have if u keep going into unsafe areas your luck is going to run out and we no the mountains are not that forgiving.

I ride horsey cause u don't. I'm a pig and I want it all to myself.

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
Rode there on Sun 10 feb 2013
Bluebird day
Fresh pow everywhere..about a foot
Helped a couple that was stuck on trail on the waterfall going up
they had never been there before
Helped them get turned around on the waterfall section...
they said they were not going to try and go up again.
Problem i noticed is that the waterfall section is getting RUTTED UP
SO if you have the time to stop ... fill it in...that would be great
There is no room for error on that section of trail
with their help we filled in the one he made and we were on our way up...
now for some pics

Attachments

• DSC00252sm.jpg
    DSC00252sm.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC00256sm.jpg
    DSC00256sm.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC00257sm.jpg
    DSC00257sm.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00260sm.jpg
    DSC00260sm.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC00264sm.jpg
    DSC00264sm.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode there on Sun 10 feb 2013
Bluebird day
Fresh pow everywhere..about a foot
Helped a couple that was stuck on trail on the waterfall going up
they had never been there before
Helped them get turned around on the waterfall section...
they said they were not going to try and go up again.
Problem i noticed is that the waterfall section is getting RUTTED UP
SO if you have the time to stop ... fill it in...that would be great
There is no room for error on that section of trail
with their help we filled in the one he made and we were on our way up...
now for some pics

Pics look Good!

It was my first time in Horsey, and I'd definitely ride it again. I would equate the avalanche terrain there to that of Avalanche alley in Allen, only shorter and not as many high risk slopes.

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet Photos and nice to hear & see you had a blast
This area looks nice but it has elements of danger and when stuff happens it is serious
Not for the Novice rider
Thanks Chris for showing us around on Saturday

birdie

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, I was back there Dec30th and had a blast! Goona have to make another trip up that way this year.

Top Bottom