Hope

speed800c

Reaction score
Has anybody heard or been into Hope, recently, or the rock face at the 50Km. Was thinking of going on Dec 6/08 saturday.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the government put up a blockade and closed the road. Guess another riding area is gone....:(

knizer8hun

Reaction score
I was told the government put up a blockade and closed the road. Guess another riding area is gone....:(

This is true, but temporary, we just don't know for how long.

I have spoken to Chatter Creek and all they can say is that they are pushing very hard to get it re-opened; there is no way they can afford to chopper everything in that was once sledded/catted in.

Anyone caught on the road after the closure is supposed to be fined... I dont see how they'd have osmeone sitting up there to do so though. It's frigging 2 hours from Golden.

simmy

Reaction score
They are patroling it and do have the intention of stopping people to educate them. They will also fine if you are caught in there.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends sledded Hope a month ago and were able to drive around this rock at that time. Once there is a little more snow I can't see what the harm would be in parking your truck in as far as possible and then sledding around the obsticle.

They said that some of Chatters snow cats were parked out by the highway. They will need to get them in somehow. If they hadn't already brought in their fuel for the season I don't see how they will operate this year without the road open.

knizer8hun

Reaction score
True and true.

I dont think I speak alone when I say this area is my favourite place to ride... Chatter is fantastic, and I am super bummed about this.

I think it's one of those "at your own risks" scenarios, or atleast should be.
If we can get through the rock slide, then let us ride.

By the sounds of it, it IS only big enough for sleds to go through, so it just adds another 10 k or so to the trail ride up.

I will be in Golden Friday so if we try it during the day, I will post in here and on snowest as to whether we made it through or not.

Chatter's website said that there is only 2 feet at the lodge... just wondering if it would be worth it to ride yet?

knizer8hun

Reaction score
Just spoke to a lady at Chatter Creek's office in Golden....

She couldn't say too much about the closure, other than that there is closure signs all the way long the trail, past the Susan Lake turnoff.

The slide is around the 54 KM mark, I dont know if that is before or after Hope.
They are supposed to be fining anyone found AFTER the slide, and there is supposed to be closure signs at the Donald site, as the trail starts after the bridge, by the gravel pit.

She directed me to talk to BC Ministry of Forest, so I called them, and was forced to leave a message to someone with a clue.

We'll see if the guy gets back to me or not, 6 minutes and counting:nono:(haha kidding).

Im just trying to clear up with them IF we can drive to the 70 k point, and if not, if we can unload wherver possible before the slide (hope the truck's not buried under rock after the day) and sled to wherever possible.

Chatter Creek is not responsible for this at all, however they are the only ones allowed access through ( I dont see how a cat makes it through a hole no bigger than a sled ?? )
They are on our side, and are trying to get it open again.

I think all we can do is maybe ask them to try and clear the road, or let us in at our own risks?

It's up to you, but maybe give BC Min. of Foresty a call(they closed the road; Donald road IS for logging after all...) 1-250-837-7611

Top Bottom