Hood removal and all the felt

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hood removal is completely different this year -- see pg 83 in your owners manual -- sort of clear -- but -- different

Also --all the felt on the sled -- what are people going to do with the felt? I would like to remove it -- but -- input -- suggestions?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I haven't got mine yet but the first thing will be to open it up and trash the foam and felt. Clean off the glue on the inside of the panels and then install a wrap.

Hood removal different from what other years?

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed all of the foam and felt -- so much crap -- glad I took the hood off to find all the filler -- there is a huge piece lining the entire hood

trev6

Reaction score
I personaliy feel that the large piece under the hood, on the bottom side of the air box, will do a good job of keeping the engine and pipe heat away from the cold air feeding
the monster 850. Now just need a blow hole that will fit in the new side panel.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think someone here who has taken out all the foam should soak it in water, put it in the freezer then weigh it :)

I didn't take off the foil wrapped foam as I am putting a can and some of them get a little hot (I know this from experience) and melt some of the plastics. You can also carve on the right hand side and collapse the side panel into the can resulting in a melt mark on the side panel. All of my foam/felt dry weighted a whopping 1.0 pounds (yes it was a bathroom scale and if you want to be picky do the experiment yourself!).

I have been told ever since they started to use the foam for sound proofing, that it soaked up mega quantities of water from the freeze thaw cycles that we experience throughout our riding. The word from the the big boys was, "take out the foam because it will fill up with water and be heavy". I don't recall when that process started buy I know I have been removing foam for years and years. I will continue to remove it and I will really make sure that I remove the felt. The felt soaked up more water than the foam (sorry, I don't have that particular data but the felt was very heavy coming out of the bath tub. For the purists out there, I soaked everything for an hour and lifted the pieces out of the bath tub and placed them in a plastic bag. I didn't squeeze out any water nor did I let it stop dripping. I used a bathroom scale. If you want more accurate results, get to it and do it!

The foam and felt that I removed weighted 1 pound dry. After it soaked for an hour, it weighted 11 pounds soaking wet. So, there was a difference of 10 pounds. In other words, the foam/felt in a 2017 G4 850 soaking wet may hold 10 pounds extra weight. It is interesting to note that we spend hundreds of dollars on a can to shave 10-20 pounds but some don't want to do something for free to save 10 pounds. It would be interesting to remove and weigh the foam in March.

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_4438.jpg
    IMG_4438.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 431

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i didn't take off the foil wrapped foam as i am putting a can and some of them get a little hot (i know this from experience) and melt some of the plastics. You can also carve on the right hand side and collapse the side panel into the can resulting in a melt mark on the side panel. all of my foam/felt dry weighted a whopping 1.0 pounds (yes it was a bathroom scale and if you want to be picky do the experiment yourself!).

i have been told ever since they started to use the foam for sound proofing, that it soaked up mega quantities of water from the freeze thaw cycles that we experience throughout our riding. The word from the the big boys was, "take out the foam because it will fill up with water and be heavy". I don't recall when that process started buy i know i have been removing foam for years and years. I will continue to remove it and i will really make sure that i remove the felt. the felt soaked up more water than the foam (sorry, i don't have that particular data but the felt was very heavy coming out of the bath tub. For the purists out there, i soaked everything for an hour and lifted the pieces out of the bath tub and placed them in a plastic bag. I didn't squeeze out any water nor did i let it stop dripping. I used a bathroom scale. If you want more accurate results, get to it and do it!

the foam and felt that i removed weighted 1 pound dry. After it soaked for an hour, it weighted 11 pounds soaking wet. So, there was a difference of 10 pounds. In other words, the foam/felt in a 2017 g4 850 soaking wet may hold 10 pounds extra weight. It is interesting to note that we spend hundreds of dollars on a can to shave 10-20 pounds but some don't want to do something for free to save 10 pounds. It would be interesting to remove and weigh the foam in march.

genius!!:)

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

I didn't take off the foil wrapped foam as I am putting a can and some of them get a little hot (I know this from experience) and melt some of the plastics. You can also carve on the right hand side and collapse the side panel into the can resulting in a melt mark on the side panel. All of my foam/felt dry weighted a whopping 1.0 pounds (yes it was a bathroom scale and if you want to be picky do the experiment yourself!).

I have been told ever since they started to use the foam for sound proofing, that it soaked up mega quantities of water from the freeze thaw cycles that we experience throughout our riding. The word from the the big boys was, "take out the foam because it will fill up with water and be heavy". I don't recall when that process started buy I know I have been removing foam for years and years. I will continue to remove it and I will really make sure that I remove the felt. The felt soaked up more water than the foam (sorry, I don't have that particular data but the felt was very heavy coming out of the bath tub. For the purists out there, I soaked everything for an hour and lifted the pieces out of the bath tub and placed them in a plastic bag. I didn't squeeze out any water nor did I let it stop dripping. I used a bathroom scale. If you want more accurate results, get to it and do it!

The foam and felt that I removed weighted 1 pound dry. After it soaked for an hour, it weighted 11 pounds soaking wet. So, there was a difference of 10 pounds. In other words, the foam/felt in a 2017 G4 850 soaking wet may hold 10 pounds extra weight. It is interesting to note that we spend hundreds of dollars on a can to shave 10-20 pounds but some don't want to do something for free to save 10 pounds. It would be interesting to remove and weigh the foam in March.

Awesome! Also take the foam off the can side and replace it with silver tape, so you protect the door but get rid of the foam, canadian tire has it...

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, You Doo guys are lucky that the foam comes off so easily. I did my 14 Pro recently and had to soak the panels with Seafoam overnight to get the glue to soften up enough to scrape the glue off. What a chore!.. I also have been taking the foam off all my sled over the years.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Man, You Doo guys are lucky that the foam comes off so easily. I did my 14 Pro recently and had to soak the panels with Seafoam overnight to get the glue to soften up enough to scrape the glue off. What a chore!.. I also have been taking the foam off all my sled over the years.

You already know that Polaris has that really heavy duty glue.........:rollinglaugh:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard it wasn't that good, rather it wasn't good enough! No experience with that though as I have titanium a-arms instead of stock. What colours did you go with on your new rides?

Top Bottom