Hockey Dads !!!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many hockey dads where on S&M...

My son's first yr hockey....Go HotDoggers... and ended up I am now head coach...so been alot of fun... and these kids at this age are priceless watching them play....:d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I was a soccer, hockey and lacrosse, and basketball dad for 10 years now...... Son started playin hockey when he was 4 and played all year round for 4 years, and suddenly decided he wanted to play lacrosse..... Loves it. I also was soccer and basketball dad for daughter, but she is now playing in women's league(even though she's just 17)..... I'm sure there are lots more hockey dad's out there......

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Cool Summitric......I can see this winter my sledding will be just during the week....weekends tied up tell mid March.....Oh well it's all for then KIDS ...right..

McCAT

Reaction score
I coached 2 sons and a daughter in hockey and for the last 15yrs. I absolutly loved it. But you are right, it really cuts into your sledding time. Oldest boy is done minor hockey,daughter is playing AA Midget Female in another community and youngest broke his arm real bad this fall,so no hockey for him.First time in 15yrs not on the bench. I am going to miss it but I think I get over it on my New 08 M1000. Have fun coaching. IT IS TIME WELL SPENT.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a hockey dad as of late but my neighbor sure is, he built a legal size rink in his back yard complete with lights, heated shack, and get this zamboni. I haven't seen him paint lines at all though but never fails any given evening his son is skatin his azz off while he leans on the boards with a beer. Alot of the acreage people including myself use it for casual skating and some games of shinny. Oh ya forgot to mention last year he paved the area because prior years with the ground being so dry the water would seep bad in areas and when he drove the zamboni there it was breakin up but now with the pavement no more problem. I know what your all thinking and ya money is no object with him, but he's super cool doesn't flaunt it in your face at all. My daughter is turning 4 in a couple weeks and i started to teach her to skate on his rink last year.

RevBlk

Reaction score
That is so awesome. Hats off to the guy for sharing the wealth. I would bet there will be a lot of fun memories for the younguns later on in life. If I was closer I would buy him :beer::beer: I was a hockey dad a few years back & looks like I will be again as my younger boys now want to play. It sure would be niice to have access to a rink like that.
Way Cool
Rev

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey now thats cool Showtime....good to have neighbors like that....:specool::thumbsup2:

Ya I love the coaching and spending time with the son,,,, :( Bummer that it cut's into sledding but hey who comes first,,,us or our kids...:thumbsup2:

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son started playing hockey at the age of 4.I have been coaching for 10 years now and LOVED every minute. Yes it is a committment but the time spent with my son is priceless.Also last year we went to the mountains as a family and that also was great, already planning x-mass trip, kidz can't wait!!!:cool::cool:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That is so awesome. Hats off to the guy for sharing the wealth. I would bet there will be a lot of fun memories for the younguns later on in life. If I was closer I would buy him :beer::beer: I was a hockey dad a few years back & looks like I will be again as my younger boys now want to play. It sure would be niice to have access to a rink like that.
Way Cool
Rev

Can't play hockey on the ice bridge?:d:d

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll just have to leave Wednesdays and be home friday afternoon this year. Except for Dec 11th till 15th Scotford. Now you know what i've been dealing with for the last 5 years.:rant: Soon enough our kids will realize they wont make the NHL and then they can get beer bellies like us and become sledders.:rolleyes: Oh well crank up the boost and lets get ater:d:beer:

Bucky

Reaction score
My son is starting his 7th year, and this is the first year I have not coached. Very strange sitting in the stands, not running a gate, and to be very honest was a bit hard to get used to! Last year only put just over 160kms on the doo, so with no coaching means no more dad having to go to practices.:d Sorry mom, Bucky needs to ride!:Snowmobile1: Never miss a game though...And for some reason the refs don't give me as much attention as they did in past years :realmad::realmad::d:d

farwest

Reaction score
Yes, mine are long since grown but they still play recreational adult.The only thing I don't miss is all the parents that live their life through the kid.Yelling at other players and the ref's.as well as other ignorant parents.

If I had to do it again I would only coach if the parents had to shut up or stay home.:d:cool::beer:

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been coaching for the last 6 years now, I'd have to agree, its time well spent. Sure miss out on alot of other activities, but seeing kids who really love the sport as much as I do makes it all worth it. If they dedicate their sorry carcass to be on the ice at 6:30am for a practice, or a 9pm game, then I can too. I'm coachin Peewee " B " this year, might as well keep doing it until my boy packs 'er in.... Good luck too all this year.... cheers..:beer:

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some parents are out of control, but for the most part the majority are great peeps to do deal with.:d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a hockey dad for 3 years, now my 2 daughters have decided they want to try ringette...So now I am a ringette dad, I have to learn the rules of it, kept thinking that they were offside, but in ringette you have to pass the ring cross the blue line! its like you can't teach an old dog new tricks! Still fun watching them out there having fun win or lose.:d

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awsome comments and stories guys....:d:beer:

Ya there's nothing like the time spent with the kids...:d

You dads that coach.....now with this new law that we have to wear helmets on the ice will coaching what is your opinions....

I've been wearing my since the start of the season...:d

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll just have to leave Wednesdays and be home friday afternoon this year. Except for Dec 11th till 15th Scotford. Now you know what i've been dealing with for the last 5 years.:rant: Soon enough our kids will realize they wont make the NHL and then they can get beer bellies like us and become sledders.:rolleyes: Oh well crank up the boost and lets get ater:d:beer:

:d:d:d:dALL FOR THAT TRIP BUD.....COUNTING THE DAYS...;):beer:

Top Bottom