hmm.. for 100 bucks, this might be worth it.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Kevin at Rapid Revolutions he is selling GPS trackers that are 100$ a year and his staff said they work very well.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I replied to this ad to get more info, like...

Is it based on sattelite gps, or cellular gps.. It would be useless if it was cellular, especially if you are way in the boonies.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot cheaper on amazon.ca

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks FnDan,
I looked up the specs on this unit, and it works on 2G and 3G networking.

Guess that is ok, if you can respond quick from your parking lot/hotel room, or if it ever turns up somewhere in a cell zone?

stomper

Reaction score
I went with the Spot Trace. SPOT Trace Product. It was a mail in rebate of 120.00 and they cost 120. there is a 100.00 a year subscription bought a couple
Curious as to where u would mount it in a sled. Would you just tuck it in the tool pouch or make some kind of bracket and really hide it under the hood somewhere? Looked at these at London drugs and just about pulled the trigger yesterday but would like to know if someone has tried it out in the real world yet.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this might be a good idea to mount in the trailer or the truck. It would be easy to set up a charging system.

Where I live, it would take an hour to be out of cell phone range so that is lots of time to track the thieves. When I had my sled stolen, it was in the back of my truck. The thieves drove it to a industrial area 15 minutes away and unloaded the sled. they left the truck.

If I had one of these, the cops could have caught them pretty easily.

Another idea is to have it plugged into a charging system while in your trailer or truck. This would not be hard to wire up so that it is on the sled and being charged. If the thieves see your sled plugged in, they may just walk away.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like you could buy one of those booster 'life saver' portable USB charger battery units that people use for cellphones and leave it connected to this device. That might increase the battery life by 2-5 times. Do these non-SPOT ones need a cellular subscription? Because that would be at least as much as a SPOT subscription, right?

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do need an activated sim card. But I suppose that would not cost much if you got a "pay as you go" sim card. Im thinking one of these would be better. Low Cost GPS Tracking Solution | www.komodotec.com I might just get one as well. I did read that it should be mounted under glass or under plastic only so that it can communicate with GPS satellites. So mounting inside a trailer would not work so good.

John Cambell

Reaction score
These units sound great. Anybody try any models yet. Would really like to hear some live reviews on any of them

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Spot Trace I have mounted in trailer takes 4 aaas and I can buy a plug in cord to go strait to trailer battery. If trailer batt dies the aaas are back up. They come with a mounting bracket to screw it to something and are waterproof. The one for the sled I wouldnt put in engine bay but maybe in handle bar bag or bolt under seat. As long as they are facing sky through wood fiberglass plastic. Metal screws it up. I wouldnt mount to a removable seat though. The last pic is the plug in to run off 12v battery. The trailer one I have active texts me that it is working and hasnt moved. It will text and or send email of location. If the battery is low it tells me.If it does move it will send me a google earth update every 5 min as it tracks. Forgot to turn it off and tracked me from Valmount home. I like the app for my android or apple that I can see my trailer wherever I am.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbCqFewves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MBsRb2q9s

Attachments

• spot-trace-gps-16211-MCO20116803272_062014-O.jpg
    spot-trace-gps-16211-MCO20116803272_062014-O.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 218
  • tumblr_inline_n9m0pxca8X1rdrfns.jpg
    tumblr_inline_n9m0pxca8X1rdrfns.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 211
  • SPOTtracecABLE-2.jpg
    SPOTtracecABLE-2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

John Cambell

Reaction score
That device looks pretty slick. I like the long battery device. And the fact it warns you when the machine is moved

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are on eBay for under 30$. I looked into the kijiji ad and then went right to eBay and found them. Way cheaper....free shipping from China and 26$ plus tax

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up the spot will not go through a metal roof but will work in a roof vent, fibreglass nose or something external like a battery box with a plastic lid. Tried all these areas tonight.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Capt560

Reaction score
I replied to this ad to get more info, like...

Is it based on sattelite gps, or cellular gps.. It would be useless if it was cellular, especially if you are way in the boonies.

There is no such thing as "cellular GPS". Cell towers can be used to augment the GPS location but that's it. GPS systems are space based and triangulate based on the number of satellites visible at any given time.

Top Bottom