Hinton / Brule Dunes

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
If you are looking for info about riding and camping in the Hinton are please feel free to send me an e-mail or leave a post here.
There are many great places to ride all around Hinton. The Dunes is just one of many.

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going on Saturday, there is another guy coming from hinton as well. you are welcome to come.

scareybanshee

Reaction score
Hey, we are out there every May long! LOVE IT, although it is really nice when you go and barely anyone is there, the water on the lake is just GORGEOUS!!
Me and my hubby(soon to be actually) are getting married up there this summer...Right on the lake hopefully.
AWESOME place to ride!! AND CAMP!!
A.T.V. repair shop never seems to be open on May long....we have learned to bring spare parts and a tool box along....lol.
Every year we seem to get at least one flat in the group of us...lol

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
Hey. Sorry i missed the ride this weekend. How was it? Beautiful day for sure. Went for a short ride with the kids. We had 7 young riders out ages 4 to 18. First good ride of the season for them. We got to find out who has outgrown what. Now we are shopping for some new riding gear. I will be bringing in some good rain/mud wear soon. Hopefully before may long. The selection of wet gear here in hinton is lousy. Speaking of flat tires I also have a ton of tires coming in. I have Areospeeds, Sandstars, Mud lites and XTR's in stock. Got a few used ones around. I have a tire machine coming hopefully within a week. Also carry tire slime for the leaky ones. I live and ride here so if you are ever needing something on a weekend do not hesitate to call! I don't camp. We ride from home so I'm never too far away.
We are starting to prep for the Robb Rally on May 10th. Should be an adventure as always! See you out there!

Dagen

Reaction score
Hintonatv - do you know who is running the wildhorse lake campground this year? Last year was Rick Taylor I believe, but the number I have isn't in service. I'd like to book a spot in the campground.

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
Hintonatv - do you know who is running the wildhorse lake campground this year? Last year was Rick Taylor I believe, but the number I have isn't in service. I'd like to book a spot in the campground.

I'm not sure who is looking after that camp but I will try to find out.

iluv mud

Reaction score
hi there, i have never been to brule, can you give me some directions on where to camp and do you have any idea what the campground is like ? showers and is there a swimming area.thx iluv mud

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
there are no showers or anything. no quadding in the campground but you can random camp pretty much anywhere. i will find the directions again and post em up later.

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
hi there, i have never been to brule, can you give me some directions on where to camp and do you have any idea what the campground is like ? showers and is there a swimming area.thx iluv mud

Hello. Take hiway 16 west of Hinton to the Wild Horse Lake provincial campground. Turn north off hiway 16. Go past the camp ground entrances.
Stay on the bumpy, crappy road for a while. Make two left turns, they are very obvious. This will bring you to a staging area with a map and several fire pits. There are trail maps available in Hinton. Stop at the tourist info building off hiway 16 in Hinton. It is on the south side just past the first set of lights.
There are no facilities at the dunes. The only water, other than the lakes in the provincial park or the small ponds in the bush, is Brule lake. There is a nice swimming area at Jarvis lake. Thats a few minutes north of Hinton on hiway 40 in William A Switzer Prov. Park.
The forestry wardens are checking all off hiway vehicles for registration and insurance. They will also bug you about headlights and taillights. They may not enforce the headlight if you are not a jerk to them.
There is another staging area at the west end of the dunes but directions are tricky.
Also to everyone out there who rides or may want to ride the dunes. Start using whip flags! alot of people are getting hurt because it is hard to see one another on the dunes. They are mandatory in many other sand dune riding areas. They should be here too. There was another fatality here recently that may have been avoided with the use of a whip. I will have whips in stock when our new shop open on Aug 1st. Pick one up somewhere!!

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
looks like the directions were posted already. lol. and yes get a flag whip. i have one and several of the guys i ride with have one too. i think mine cost $10. well worth it to save my neck.

Landrew

Reaction score
Is there a way to unload a Canoe at the lake or is it bike/atv access only?

I have been there once but we had to "learn our way in" by following the other tracks and dont know the area to well.

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i live in bc what kind of insurance do we need to ride at the bruel dunes,as over here we do not need to have any kind of insurance on our atv,s .we have never rode over there before thinking of coming over in september any info whould be helpfull thanks

whopper809

Reaction score
Here in Alberta you will need to have your quad or bike licenced and insured. The licence plate will also need to be mounted on the machine, there starting to get picky about not mounting the plate.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
call your insurance company and get insurance before comming out. then call alberta registries and see about out of province riders and temp plates or if the plate is required etc.. if you dont register them locally.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i live in bc what kind of insurance do we need to ride at the bruel dunes,as over here we do not need to have any kind of insurance on our atv,s .we have never rode over there before thinking of coming over in september any info whould be helpfull thanks

dar, you will have to have insurance to ride in Alberta, same as you need to ride on BC forest roads, but you, comming from another province, are for 30 days, covered under whats legal in your province, for registration, need prof of where you reside, drivers liecence, insurance etc. Where in BC are you from???

insaneZ400shane

Reaction score
cant wait for dune season, im planning on going here at least once a month nxt season. it sounds like a lot of fun

whopper809

Reaction score
ya Brule can be alot of fun, and once you have some time in the sand box you can head some where huge like Idaho to St.Anthony and be ruined for life and need to return every year :d:d:d Trust me I speak from experiance. With you living in Calgary you could make the trip in 12 hours or less.
fa1e537483eca4dbf294a079f092155f0_large.jpg

b8cb0d5575d9a915d6cc1a20f5b8327d0_large.jpg

insaneZ400shane

Reaction score
yeah i spend a lot of time watching vids of these sand mecca's and your right on the money once i get some practice and get some good skills in the sand i do plan on going south. glamis looks like a gong show! nice pics btw.

whopper809

Reaction score
Ya, we have friends that live in Las Vegas and have told us that they only go to a few of the large events at Glamis because of the out of control situation. But like everything if you go on a non event week or weekend it is way less crazy. Race events are good to go to also, the crowds are big with lots of eye candy to look at :d, but not as large as some as the big summer events. Dumont, St.Anthonys, Sand mountain, or the Oregon coast areas have alot less pressure and only a few large events a year.

CLICKY.WyoDuner's Sand Duning Pages - Start

Top Bottom