Help Needed! Engine light?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Engine light came on the dash steady on my 600 rmk. Decided it was due to poor fuel from sitting all summer with a quarter tank and possibly too much stabalizer. So I topped the rest of the tank up with premium to mix with the bad fuel. Took it out today and light is still on, engine seems fine except for if Ipunch it around mid thotttle it will not rev up and same with top end will not go past about 8000 rpm when I jam it. Wondering if the light retards the engine from revving up to high to prevent engine damage? or if I have a bigger problem. I don't think the track is ratcheting. engine and clutch is all stock.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it throwing a code? Look in the manual. You set the park brake with engine running and use select button (or something like that) and it will give you the code.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to see what code is being displayed. The next time it comes on,do not shut the engine off, set the the parking brake and toggle throught the display button until the code is shown.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will check this out tomorrow, hopefully it's not something bad

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright so the code is 173 and the subscript is 3. manual says exhaust temperature sensor, voltage too high. Does that just mean it need replacing or?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google that. I've seen that code come up from others before. Sounds like exhaust temperature thermocouple is toast.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I took it out and looks like my wire was lose and causing the sensor to vibrate in the pipe. Took it out tightened it up, also followed the wiring back to two connections, one of them was also unplugged... Plugged it back in turned the sled on, light still came on, let it run up to 100F and light went away. Engine seems better now too but still has a slight hesitation around mid throttle.

wildman

Reaction score
Well I took it out and looks like my wire was lose and causing the sensor to vibrate in the pipe. Took it out tightened it up, also followed the wiring back to two connections, one of them was also unplugged... Plugged it back in turned the sled on, light still came on, let it run up to 100F and light went away. Engine seems better now too but still has a slight hesitation around mid throttle.

Had the same thing happen on my 11 last year. after replacing the sensor it didn't run right till I had the code erased. takes 2 minutes but dealer has to plug it in to the computer to do it.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen on my 11 last year. after replacing the sensor it didn't run right till I had the code erased. takes 2 minutes but dealer has to plug it in to the computer to do it.

Do I have to take it to the dealer to get rid of the code? seems like waste just to plug into a computer. Is there no reset?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright ill give cycle works a call, Thanks!

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't run to good when this happens either....
IMG_3251.JPG

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you install the new sensor after 5 minutes of driving the light will go out you do not need to take it in to get it cleared.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes light has gone away now but I am still experiencing a lag mid range and have to letoff then throttle it again to get rpm to increase and then it pulls hard. Any thoughts Chris?

Top Bottom