HELP! Need some towing info!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep reading, and just confusing myself. I know you guys can help me!! We are buying a travel trailer, and I need to know if I can haul it with my Denali. I'd likely NOT be hauling it often, maybe between the house and the lake lot an hour away a few times a year, but I want to make sure I can do it without damaging it. We'll probably use the Denali to pick it up from Edmonton - if we can!

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali 6.2L
We are looking at a 2010 Jay Flight 26BH.

HELP ME. Too many numbers. I don't understand! LOL

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I keep reading, and just confusing myself. I know you guys can help me!! We are buying a travel trailer, and I need to know if I can haul it with my Denali. I'd likely NOT be hauling it often, maybe between the house and the lake lot an hour away a few times a year, but I want to make sure I can do it without damaging it. We'll probably use the Denali to pick it up from Edmonton - if we can!

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali 6.2L
We are looking at a 2010 Jay Flight 26BH.

HELP ME. Too many numbers. I don't understand! LOL

ACcording to an RV Dealer Site I found here are the trailer weights:

Weights
  • Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) : 4,585
  • Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) : 615
    [*]Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) : 7,500
  • Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs.) : 2,915
Vehicle towing capaticties:
Yukon Denali AWD
Yukon XL 2WD
Yukon XL 4WD
Yukon XL Denali 2WD
Yukon XL Denali 4WD

Last edited:

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw those numbers, and figured they lined up... but that's as in depth as it goes? LOL

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw those numbers, and figured they lined up... but that's as in depth as it goes? LOL

Those are the biggest worries yep. If buying from an RV Dealer they should assist you in picking the right RV for your tow vehicle.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One issue you may have is the Auto. Leveling system.. Friends of mine stoped using their Yukon to tow their trailer which was smaller than yours and bought a truck. I think because of the auto leveling. Other than that it worked good..

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One issue you may have is the Auto. Leveling system.. Friends of mine stoped using their Yukon to tow their trailer which was smaller than yours and bought a truck. I think because of the auto leveling. Other than that it worked good..

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

I would think that a weight distribution hitch would help with that?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brakes are for puzzies Dale.....lol

Ian, your just like our safety guy, " there’s on the job and what I do on my own time" his response when I questioned him about having two sleds on a deck on a Dodge half ton short box, with a roll-n-lock so the deck sits back 11", , the deck was tied to the truck with non certified straps and the sleds had clamp tie downs on the skis and nothing on the back end....

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's an add on I believe. It's got the little black trailer brake box. Not built in.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ian, I'm really in no hurry to pick it up. I assume the guy won't mind hanging on to it for an extra week? It's in St Albert. I'm going to try and get up there this week to view and pay for it. Hopefully while the kids are at the sitter's :) LOL

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clearly, I've never owned a travel trailer. LOL also, have never hauled with my vehicle either.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mirrors are another thing; I like to be able to see down beside the trailer, so you canchange lanes without running over someone.
Along with having a brake controller, setting it up properly, the newer unitsare easier but still require some adjustments.

If this is yourfirst time driving with a trailer, would be great to have someone with you thathas some experience.

A few tips: The width of the trailer tires will be wider than the trucks, comes into play when parking alongside a curb, or driving down rutted up roads.

You will need more turning radius, turning at intersections it’s no problem stay in your lane just crowd the outside and the trailer wheels will have lots of room, tigh tcorners at gas stations, getting in and out of parking lots, you need more turning room as well as this is where good mirrors help out.

Backing up,takes practice and good mirrors, find a empty parking lot and pick a spot and practice backing in and out, you should be able to notice that the trailer will pivot differently going forward vs backing up.

Get out and look at the spot you want to park in, and if in the middle of backing up, yournot sure if it’s working or you lose site in your mirrors, STOP and go andlook.

Watch how tight you turn, really short tight turns forward or back, you can jackknife the trailer to the point that the trailer or the hitch will hit the tow vehicle aswell at that point your skidding your tires real bad, have seen tires come right of rims or wreck the side walls.

When driving down a two lane hiway, keep an eye out forlarge tractor trailers, I will even move over to the right a bit, as they pushso much air they can move your trailer. (the larger you truck the less this will affect you)

Dont forget to look up and know the drive height of the trailer( there will be vents and possibly an AC unit on top of the trailer) it's good to know if you'll fit....

Like anything that's new, it's really not that big of a deal, just some things to know and understand.

Good luck have fun, welcome to the world of RV's

Last edited:

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! To clarify, I will NOT be towing it home by myself, Kevin will do that when he comes off shift. I won't ever pull it until I get comfortable towing, since it's not something I've ever really done.

Will look around for mirrors!

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brakes, mirrors, equalizer hitch, anti sway bar, and also 10 ply tires. That's what all half tonne or equivalent vehicles should have. IMO. Even airbags help a lot!!

Top Bottom