Help compression to high after top end rebuild

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 xp, I just put a new set of mcb dual ring piston kit in, piston,rings,bearing, wrist pin clips and metal base gasget came with kit, I tried pulling over with plugs in it it will only pull over like two lobes not two revolutions on the third the compression builds I'm assuming si high it stops the engine from turning, This is the rest of senarios I tried . I'm using the word lobe as if the rotation is like a lobe on a cam , u know when u pull your sled over slowly u feel it stiffen up as compression builds then it let's go for a sec until the other cylinder starts building pressure , I'm calling that feeling a lobe. 2plugs in ..... Pulls over 2 lobes, will not let it roll the third1plug threaded in 4 threads...... Can get to pull over to the third actually with one plug screwed in all the way I started it for a sec but then I killed engine, I then did it with the other side but broke pull cord when it started No plugs pulls over with easeI removed exhaust system , raves, put plugs in and same as above will only pull over 2-3 lobesSo I believe I have eliminating piston fetching up, plugged exhaust etcCompression is 148 cold of course at 1500 feet , I also put a terra alps head on with 13.5 domes Has anyone seen this before , is it possible that the base gasket is too thin, would it actuall cause that much compression for it not to completely roll over with one pull of cord , pistons r definitely have arrow pointing at exhaust , rings writing up , I'm gonna go check the kit packaging to make sure they r for an 800r verses 800 ho or wat ever , plus redo pull cord , please any experience in this would be greatly appreciated, I'd hat to have to tear the cylinder off again I got way to much on the go , I'll be in garage awaiting any input.Thnks

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your actual compression after the rebuild? does the sled turn over nice without plugs in it?, .Try putting the stock head back on. and see if it helps, easiest thing to do. Either way it sounds like the engine needs to be tore down again for inspection. something is not right. piston could be binding under the load of the compression i dunno. Ive never heard of this happening. 13.5 head doesn't give that much more comp over stock, check the squish of the piston to head
You should mic the gaskets and check ring gap during the rebuild to eliminate questions if a problem arises after it all back together.
I'm sorry if this isnt much help to you, but there is alot of things that need to be looked at. Maybe someone could chime in that this has happent to before.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's normal. Mine did the same thing with the mcb kit. Is your clutch on? This makes a huge diffference because of the rotating mass. My issue was I had to much assembely oil and it was just sealing to good. Dumped some fuel down the holes to wash it out and it was much easier to pull over. Before I could barely get it to rotate. Fired up first pull and now it runs great and is much easier to pull over after the first run.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on Maxwell, thanks will update shortly , no clutches were on at all , I meant to post that too , kit is correct number, just got bcd with coffee and beer , will replace cord put clutch on and try that , I actual mention to my buddy before cord broke if he thought clutch would do anything , Man I got first trip on the 30 3sleds to finish , my buddy and I just bought the summit river lodge, trying to get all the paperwork done on that , and I have 8 -12 hr shifts , I'm losing my mind but it will all be good once we roll in vale mount on the 30 for a week . , again thanks a lot , fingers crossed , thks too caper

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's normal. Mine did the same thing with the mcb kit. Is your clutch on? This makes a huge diffference because of the rotating mass. .

x2, make sure that clutch is on or it will feel like a tank to pull over. As for a side note with my kit i can in at 155psi cranking cold. If you truely want to loose some compression stick in a thick base gasket for the cylinders. This will ditch some compression, but consult with kit builder as this may slightly change the porting timing.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right on maxwell, thanks will update shortly , no clutches were on at all , i meant to post that too , kit is correct number, just got bcd with coffee and beer , will replace cord put clutch on and try that , i actual mention to my buddy before cord broke if he thought clutch would do anything , man i got first trip on the 30 3sleds to finish , my buddy and i just bought the summit river lodge, trying to get all the paperwork done on that , and i have 8 -12 hr shifts , i'm losing my mind but it will all be good once we roll in vale mount on the 30 for a week . , again thanks a lot , fingers crossed , thks too caper
tada perfect maxwell , the holz is alive and well lol, anyone reading this post please take note that the primary not being on was the problem.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on Maxwell, thanks will update shortly , no clutches were on at all , I meant to post that too , kit is correct number, just got bcd with coffee and beer , will replace cord put clutch on and try that , I actual mention to my buddy before cord broke if he thought clutch would do anything , Man I got first trip on the 30 3sleds to finish , my buddy and I just bought the summit river lodge, trying to get all the paperwork done on that , and I have 8 -12 hr shifts , I'm losing my mind but it will all be good once we roll in vale mount on the 30 for a week . , again thanks a lot , fingers crossed , thks too caper
I never thought of the clutch not being on it, assumed it was ALL back together. I should of asked before thinking of the assembly side of things. :eek: Right on glad to hear yah got her running.
:beer: to maxwell!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
to check squish bend two pieces of solder and align them with piston pin and roll engine over this will flaten the solder then you can measure the squish.

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Hey, good to hear you bought the lodge. Used to stay there a lot till change and it flopped. What are plans and will a guy be able to stay there. Great place. Let me know. Thanks.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summit River Lodge, ths big horn and tex, as 88 said its located 20 kms outside of valemount on the right just before keyhole, great big sign on road, large log cabin down over the tracks, My self and 2 buddies bought it and Chris and Michelle are going to run it for us, we have had a pretty tight lip on it as we were going through the paperwork, as of right now we will not be opened for Buisness till Dec 7/11 as we dont sign the paper wor till next Friday, but i can tell u, phone is suppose to be hooked up tomorrow, the propane tanks are filled, internet cable arranged for next week, grocery order is put in, we r just chomping at the bit. Our crew is going down next weekend for a few days i will be there thur - wed , trust me i will be posting info at the latest monday, pricing, phone number, pics etc. we always called it the best kept secret in valemount, now we can say owned by sledders for sledders. i encourage all to atleast try it once and i guaranty u wont stay any where else, but youll have to book early. ths for the info and comments and please check us out u wont be disappointed.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh I will have to keep it in mind. Only rode valemount once so.... It's been on the to do list

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Hey TPOWER sounds great. Give me a call and I might be able to help you with some info if you are interested. Thanks Ken @ 780-998-1701

Top Bottom