Help! 12 etec 800 won't start and bogs out when started

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're up on the mountain here and my dads etec just won't start after it ended up on the side, it started for a bit at first then it bogged out and shut off and will not start anymore, don't wanna have to tow it down this chit show of a trail, it's more of a ice luge track than a trail, anyone know what it can be??

Sent from a iPhone

signedge

Reaction score
Hold the throttle wide open and try starting it. Just flooded from being on side. Little time it will start had same problem with friends sled. It just went after about 10 minutes and all day had problems when rolled over. Hope it works

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's not it, it might be the fuel pickup in the tank. Don't ask me how I know that.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well got it running finally and limped it down, it's definitely running on one cylinder now

Sent from a iPhone

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you let us know what you find wrong with it. My 12 E TEC spends alot of time up side down and I never have issue starting it. I did have it helicoptered out once because it wouldn't start but that turned out to be the crank position sensor had a small peice of metal touching and shorted somthing out. removed the peice and it fired right up.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do people come up with this stuff? Hold the throttle open? It shouldn't start. They also do not flood. Its an etec.

It sounds like one of a few protection modes. Was the sled on its side or even upside down from being rolled over at all? The low oil protection circuit will let the sled start but not run properly until it detects oil once again.

It could also be ice/snow build up in the throttle block. If the throttle is not fully closed the sled will go into a protection mode. Just a few mm's of ice will hold the throttle open enough to engage the start limiting circuit.

Even after you start them, if you don't let the system reset itself it can act like that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with TTB. It is most likely snow behind the throttle block or something simple like that. Do not rule out a plug failure either. On 2 separate occasions I have seen plug failures after the rider was riding it hard and tipped it on its side. Dont know why but it happens once in a while.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There wasn't any snow in the throttle or anything, it came out of a heated trailer and went straight up the trail, all hard pack then this happened at the top of the trail. We tried to take out the spark plugs but they were in there too tight we ended up stripping the wrench, we tried starting it again and had left one of the spark plugs unplugged and it started and was able to run. It wasn't able to run before with both spark plugs hooked up. So we b lined it straight down the chitty whooped out trail on one cylinder back to the truck. When we got back to the truck we hooked up the one spark plug again and the sled was running fine. The sled got rode hard all day today in 2feet of powder with no issues. I'm guessing maybe it had a stuck injector in the cylinder that we unplugged the spark plug from and the bagging it down the trail might of fixed it? I have no clue

Sent from a iPhone

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The injectors run at something ridiculous like 500 psi. They don't just stick.

Strange scenario that you would get to the top if the hill and then it wouldn't start or run on two cylinders and no CEL came on.

Oh well, such is life.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom