Helmet durability

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i was riding quad the other day wearing my new helmet (1st time out) and i rolled the quad diving into a ditch. I got pitched off and the quad tumbled over me. A day later i was looking around my helmet cause i thought i seen a scratch on it. Come to discover it was busted already!

So my question is are any helmets better than others with the exception of carbon fiber? It says snell approved and DOT on the back like all helmets but i am wondering if certain helmets arent as durable. I was suprised as i didnt think it was much more than a typical roll over but it must of been worse then i thought. :shrug:. With the exception of better padding and graphics and ventilation why such the price difference in helmets. Seems to me they have to meet safety standards anyways and if you do happen to get in a wreck, graphics and comfortable padding or not its gonna wreck the helmet. My take is buy a middle of the line helmet and go. At least if crash and break it you wont be out as much money. After that accident im sure glad i got the $125 helmet over the $220 509 helmet!

By the way, the helmet i was wearing was an HJC, i thought that company has always made good helmets :confused:.

Sent while not working too hard

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned helmets are only good for 1 impact. No matter how hard it may seem, if it cracked the helmet, if could have cracked your skull instead. Usually SNELL approved helmets are more expensive than just DOT approved, as they go through more rigorous testing. DOT approved is the absolute minimum. I will always spend the money to get a SNELL approved helmet.
Usually more money will get you a lighter, more comfortable helmet.
When it comes to my head, cost isn't an issue.

• Love
Reactions: cs5

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What trollcat said. The helmet is designed to protect your melon from an impact. Once said helmet receives an impact good chances are that it's integrity may have been compromised. Helmet damaged melon OK mission accomplished. Now if you are thinking that said helmet should be good for several impacts, then maybe,just maybe, the impact you sustained in much greater than you think it was.

All helmets with Snell and or DOT approvals have to meet the same minimum standards.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya broke the helmet, it did what it was designed for. they generally are a one impact kind of product and then throw away. helmets are generally a you get what you pay for kind of product.

dot is the minimum standard with snell approval a little more thorough.
helmets will not protect ya from every head impact, but provide the best protection so far.
cheaping out on a helmet is usually not a good idea.

the oldtimers always say a $10 helmet for a $10 head.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya broke the helmet, it did what it was designed for. they generally are a one impact kind of product and then throw away. helmets are generally a you get what you pay for kind of product.

dot is the minimum standard with snell approval a little more thorough.
helmets will not protect ya from every head impact, but provide the best protection so far.
cheaping out on a helmet is usually not a good idea.

the oldtimers always say a $10 helmet for a $10 head.

As long as its snell approved why spend $220 vs $125? Besides plush padding, vents, and graphics which dont protect your melon anyways, why spend the extra dough?

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What trollcat said. The helmet is designed to protect your melon from an impact. Once said helmet receives an impact good chances are that it's integrity may have been compromised. Helmet damaged melon OK mission accomplished. Now if you are thinking that said helmet should be good for several impacts, then maybe,just maybe, the impact you sustained in much greater than you think it was.

All helmets with Snell and or DOT approvals have to meet the same minimum standards.

Snell approval is way higher than DOT, I would not even consider wearing anything only DOT. Yes they both meet the minimum standard set in 1972 but it's your head your talking about. If your lid was only DOT you may not be on this site writing about your broken helmet, think about that..... it did it's job now get a new one and be happy it worked :)

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snell approval is way higher than DOT, I would not even consider wearing anything only DOT. Yes they both meet the minimum standard set in 1972 but it's your head your talking about. If your lid was only DOT you may not be on this site writing about your broken helmet, think about that..... it did it's job now get a new one and be happy it worked :)

Im not saying i would buy a helmet only rated DOT, the one i wrecked was snell approved and it costs $125, you can take a higher priced (509 for example) $220 helmet that is snell approved and i am wondering how the $220 helmet is gonna protect ya better than the $125 one. Besides plush padding and fancy graphics and better ventilation what does the $220 snell approved helmet offer over the $125 snell approved helmet? Not trying to fight or say to buy a lower rated helmet, im just confused on this subject.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as its snell approved why spend $220 vs $125? Besides plush padding, vents, and graphics which dont protect your melon anyways, why spend the extra dough?

Why spend more? Some helmet Companies may exceed snell's standards more than other companies helmets. I am More than willing to spend the extra dough for vents, padding, for and graphics.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know i've broken two HJC's in wrecks over the past few years. I wear a carbon fiber helmet now.
Spend 10,000$ plus on a toy and cheap out on a helmet? I never could understand that.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why spend more? Some helmet Companies may exceed snell's standards more than other companies helmets. I am More than willing to spend the extra dough for vents, padding, for and graphics.

Yeah, but how do you know if they meet or exceed snell standards and if so how do you tell by how much? Also if you're willing to spend the extra on plush padding venting and graphics who is to say you only go 1/2 mile and wreck the helmet? Seems high priced to me. I still get good ventilation with the $125 lid maybe not the highest end padding and no graphics. Seems to work and if i do crash within a half mile i am only out $125 compared to $220. :shrug:

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So people say buy a $400 carbon fiber and then they continue to say if it takes an impact you need to throw it away. I guess some peoples money comes easier than others.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Besides plush padding and fancy graphics and better ventilation

I think you already answered your own question. Graphics generally don't have a whole lot to do with the cost of a helmet, as I've seen plain helmets for WAY more than helmets with fancier graphics.
But better ventilation and better padding, I will gladly pay an extra 95$ for. And $220 is a little much for a 509 helmet. Got mine for 180 last year. Even 220 is inexpensive for a good comfortable helmet.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya $220 aint bad at all. Check out street bike helmets, ive got an Arai......look at some of those prices, then pretty much all sled helmets will seem cheap

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but how do you know if they meet or exceed snell standards and if so how do you tell by how much? Also if you're willing to spend the extra on plush padding venting and graphics who is to say you only go 1/2 mile and wreck the helmet? Seems high priced to me. I still get good ventilation with the $125 lid maybe not the highest end padding and no graphics. Seems to work and if i do crash within a half mile i am only out $125 compared to $220. :shrug:

my thoughts only, all snell rated or dot helmets meet or exceed these standards as the minimum. the safety factor in a helmet is allabout the padding, graphics have no value whatsoever. snell rating was from one instituion that wanted higher than dot standards. i'd suggest zeebs buy one that is in your safety and price range with the best ratings you can find. as long as the fit is correct you should be okay for the dollar you spent. a helmet will never protect yer head from all impacts, and probably never will, you just want your best chance of survival. all helmet manufactures recommend replacing a helmet if it is dropped on concrete or been in an accident, as the linner crush properties will be compromised and you won't see it by eye all the time.

where a helmet, as any helmet will be better than none.

Top Bottom