Helmet Cam

Braaap

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to look into them for some time but i don't know to much about them.. How do they work, as in what kind of battery pack does it come with or do u need? Also where does all the video get stored to and does anyone know how well they work in the cold weather as i would expect the battery life to be short. Oh and i guess i should also ask where do you get them and price range?

Thanks

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is something I am interested in as well, I have heard twenty20 for a brand name but really that's abou it.........Any help????

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a helmit cam,It is an Oregon Scientific.Takes good quality video for the price.The best part is its self contained with no wires and waterproof.Kind of a bugger to mount on a helmit though.I have about twenty minutes of video from the brazeau rally but about 3 minutes into it I clipped a tree branch and broke the mount so most of it after 3 minutes is shaky and when I noticed it was boke I took it off.Also in the video section there is some blackwater video as well.I will post a clip from the Rally in snowandmudtube!
Cost me 88.00 on Ebay!
A little more now.
catmando!

foxyrmk

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I have been researching the helemts camera and for the price of the tweny20 (Vholdr) would make a good helmet camera that's affordable. This is the camera that I'm going to purchase.

VholdR

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll second the scientific helmet cam (ATC-2K model). I use a 2g card, works great!! Can't beat the price. No wire or battery packs.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what you want to do with your footage. to send it via email, or watch it on youtube or your computer, you will be happy with the cheap hard drive units. if you want to put the vids on DVD or watch it in high quality video, spend the cash and go with the VIO POV1.

Viosport has been building helmetcams since 2000, they know their stuff. they are more expensive than most, but you get what you pay for.....been a customer of theirs since '03. hoping to upgrade from the Adventure Cam 3 that I have now, to the POV this winter. they were around $700 last I checked.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quick vid on the bike with the Adventure Cam 3. to watch it in high quality, click the link on the bottom right corner below the screen.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YUtOeZDWE[/media]

edit: high quality option not available in embedded video. once the player comes up, click on the screen twice to go to youtube site.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! How long does your battery last in the cold?

I carry 2 2gb cards and two sets of double a batteries,one set for each card,One hour video on each card,One set of batteries may last but I change em and have no issues.Downloading vid on snowandmud tube as we speak titled Brazaeu Rally.Just remember the mount is broke so it is a bit shakey!
catmando!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
quick vid on the bike with the adventure cam 3. To watch it in high quality, click the link on the bottom right corner below the screen.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yutoezdwe[/media]

edit: High quality option not available in embedded video. Once the player comes up, click on the screen twice to go to youtube site.

nice vid teeroy... Good pics and gotta love the sound of the thumper 4 strokes, eh? I like the wheelie on the hiway!!!

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
Been looking around alot also and gotta agree with teeroy the VIO Sport has the best reviews anywhere i have looked and what most people are suggesting i am thinking i will be order the POV.1 before the snow flys..

depends what you want to do with your footage. to send it via email, or watch it on youtube or your computer, you will be happy with the cheap hard drive units. if you want to put the vids on DVD or watch it in high quality video, spend the cash and go with the VIO POV1.

Viosport has been building helmetcams since 2000, they know their stuff. they are more expensive than most, but you get what you pay for.....been a customer of theirs since '03. hoping to upgrade from the Adventure Cam 3 that I have now, to the POV this winter. they were around $700 last I checked.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the POV 1. The video quality is second to none, for a wearable recording device. I like the fact it has its own recorder and its digital, and now my camcorder is not tied up with my now for sale Twenty20 helmet camera. I will be able to use the Camcorder for what its ment for. More angles for my video files, and different persectives. Once you buy a decent recorder and a helmet camera the costs work out about the same to the POV 1.... IMO. I know there is some other product out there that are wireless like the Oregon scientific and the Twenty20 Vholdr, but i perfer the cables, kind of a little more security for me because you will know if the camera falls off or in the case of a wipe-out the chances of loosing it are reduced, again just my opinon..... Happy filming!:d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the POV 1. The video quality is second to none, for a wearable recording device. I like the fact it has its own recorder and its digital, and now my camcorder is not tied up with my now for sale Twenty20 helmet camera. I will be able to use the Camcorder for what its ment for. More angles for my video files, and different persectives. Once you buy a decent recorder and a helmet camera the costs work out about the same to the POV 1.... IMO. I know there is some other product out there that are wireless like the Oregon scientific and the Twenty20 Vholdr, but i perfer the cables, kind of a little more security for me because you will know if the camera falls off or in the case of a wipe-out the chances of loosing it are reduced, again just my opinon..... Happy filming!:d
so many great features the POV 1 has, they intentionally made it a cable unit for the exact reasons you mentioned. it records in a constant loop and will only save the clips you want for a pre set amount of time, controlled by pushing the save button on the wireless control you wear on your wrist. it uses AA batteries, no proprietary battery or charger stuff. the only downside I could come up with is the lack of changeable lenses right now, and maybe the price.

Santa is bringing mine....hopefully Tab will have a few pointers for me by then.....:d

mudbug

Reaction score
If you are looking for a good cam, there is the new Go pro By hero. All weather proof case uses 2Gb sd card runs on AAA batteries one 2 gig card will give you 1hour of video
you can get many different mounts ,helmet, handlebar etc well worth the money at $200
if you would like to see footage of what it can take go to youtube and punch in hobiretired and look at the videos all recent videos ie, jet boat or Grandcache are done with the Gopro camera

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw on their website that they have a new wide-angle lens?

You are correct Rucky, but they are for the analog cameras though. The POV 1 comes with a 110 deg. lens for wide angle too which is one of the widest there is for a wearable camera.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you guys buy your helmet cams like the pov 1

You can order from online distributers in the USA or direct from the canadian importer/ distributer in Vancouver. By the way they have free shipping right now too.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a good cam, there is the new Go pro By hero. All weather proof case uses 2Gb sd card runs on AAA batteries one 2 gig card will give you 1hour of video
you can get many different mounts ,helmet, handlebar etc well worth the money at $200
if you would like to see footage of what it can take go to youtube and punch in hobiretired and look at the videos all recent videos ie, jet boat or Grandcache are done with the Gopro camera
just uploaded the helmetcam video last nite of the ride up to Hamel where we met you folks.

watch it in high quality, normal quality is kinda crappy.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NPp1Wpuac[/media]

Top Bottom