Heavy duty mechanics

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm 22 and in my 4th year HET and I love my job. You'll have to be willing to do some bitch work and put up with bullchit (it's everywhere, doesnt matter where you work, some are worse than others) but it's a great career choice IMO. Depending on where your working you can make 80-100k a year plus benefits (in Edmonton, fort mac is way more). My suggestion to you is to stick to the offroad side of the trade and if you can, work for a dealer or large construction company. They usually have better pay and benefits. And you get to play with some cool equipment:D When you are signed up,make sure you go for the 4 year program and not just the three year. No sense in limiting yourself.

Another thing is tools, spend the money and buy quality tools. Your gonna be earning your living with them, don't skimp on them. Be prepared to spend a good chunk of cash on them.

School isnt that bad, apply yourself, do your work and you'll be fine. Dont let other guys lead you to believe that you won't use your brain in the trade. Wait until you get into third year school and start playing with hydraulics and figuring them out. It's pretty cool stuff and challenging. Being able to troubleshoot and diagnose problems correctly is what separates a good and bad tech. Also when an old timer or someone with experience has their mouth open, pay attention and listen.
Hope this helps!

Any more questions shoot me a pm!

like he said if you can wrap your brain around the new electronics, multiplexing, etc and hydraulic systems and all you will do great. and hardley ever get really dirty.

problem with machines now adays is 1 wire corrodes a bit and it can shut down the whole unit. and if you have no idea or dont understand the system you can spend weeks and thousands of dollars trying to find the issue. if you have agood understanding of how electrical works you fix it fast and cheap, customer and employer both like you.

small ex. of a issue i expierienced customer turns left all lights flash told the techs the first day it was a signal light, they ripped apart entire interior of unit , wiring harness, unplugged all the lights they said still didi it , replaced siganl stat, 2 weeks of fuggin around with it, ended up being left front signal light filament half broke off shorting the 2 circuits together. i had a good laugh over that one. customers bill was 6500.00 to replace 1 signal light. i think they are still fighting over it. lost their customer and the billed time because they didnt want to listen/think about what they were doing and what the problem was.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been an HD Mech since '93, spent all my money in the '90's on sex, drugs and women.

I say go for it but skip the drugs.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Some great stuff here.

I am wanting to go into the off road side.

I am also kind of confused.. When I get an apprenticeship which I may possibly have at finning right now, can I just go to work for the 4 years, write the tests etc? or what. Do I get the apprenticeship, then go back to nait?

How does the apprentice ship work. Is the school required or just a good thing to have?

(I dont mind getting dirty or oil on my hands.)

As stated above, some people say the money in fort mac is awesome compared to Edmonton (Which I thought was true)

But some people were saying the money wasn't as good?

I found a tool list on the Interwebz of what tools are used. Anyone wanna give me a crash course introduction on the tools?

Tools are going to kill me to. I am considering doing this for a lifetime trade, and getting out of it when I am older, I want to take a business course or something along those lines and have something of my own.

What do I do for tools? Bank loan? Buy them as required while I work?

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Some great stuff here.

I am wanting to go into the off road side.

I am also kind of confused.. When I get an apprenticeship which I may possibly have at finning right now, can I just go to work for the 4 years, write the tests etc? or what. Do I get the apprenticeship, then go back to nait?

How does the apprentice ship work. Is the school required or just a good thing to have?

(I dont mind getting dirty or oil on my hands.)

As stated above, some people say the money in fort mac is awesome compared to Edmonton (Which I thought was true)

But some people were saying the money wasn't as good?

I found a tool list on the Interwebz of what tools are used. Anyone wanna give me a crash course introduction on the tools?

Tools are going to kill me to. I am considering doing this for a lifetime trade, and getting out of it when I am older, I want to take a business course or something along those lines and have something of my own.

What do I do for tools? Bank loan? Buy them as required while I work?

For the apprenticeship, you work for the company you choose, and depending on what year you are in, you have a 2-4 months of school to attend. Usually starting in Janurary.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically you work 10 months of the year and go to school for 2 months. That's what I've done. School is required to get your ticket. You can challenge the tests but your better off to do the in class time and learn more. Plus it's a nice break from the shop.

For tools, start with a small collection and build as you need. You can get a bank loan if you want but there is financing with your tool dealers but if they charge interest it's at an insane rate (I'm lucky both of my guys are interest free). You'll need 3/8" and 1/2 ratchets, sockets, air tools, pry bars, heel bars, wrenches from 8mm-36mm and 1/4"-2", screwdrivers and on and on. Pm me your email addy and I can give you a more thorough list as to what you'll need and some pics of my setup. Keep in mind though you'll build your collection as you go and being a first year you'll probably doing a lot of basic work like GET changes and services. Look on kijiji too, there's lots of guys retiring or getting out of the trade that have full toolboxes for sale at a good price.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out costco for tool boxes. I just bought one for the garage that was 550 for top and bottom 42" wide. Good starter box. Get the basic tools from crappy tire when they go on sale. The have had some BIG sets go for the 100-200 dollar mark that will give you a good chunk of what you will need for first year stuff. Just make sure when you borrow someones tools return the fawkers.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out costco for tool boxes. I just bought one for the garage that was 550 for top and bottom 42" wide. Good starter box. Get the basic tools from crappy tire when they go on sale. The have had some BIG sets go for the 100-200 dollar mark that will give you a good chunk of what you will need for first year stuff. Just make sure when you borrow someones tools return the fawkers.

Plus Canadian tire has lifetime warranty on their tools.

Sent from my kickass HTC Desire because Apple sucks!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if you go to school for 2 months, you still need the required hours to get credited for your apprenticeship year. IIRC is was about 1500hrs per year, but things might have changed since 1996 :)

Don't get suckered into the hype of fancy tools during your apprenticeship, get a good tool box and fill as necessary.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Comp trans ticket has done me well, apprentice at 19 running 36 guys in Kazakhstan at 28. I went for the commitment early and balls deep with snap-on also and dont regret it. I still use the tools i bought in 99, medium apprectice set. Financed 8 grand with a used tool box other than adding and bigger boxes over the years its all the same stuff. Having the license allowed me to get financing to start my own outfit, also needed for corporate insurance. Been 12 years and I live well. I wasnt an easy apprentice i pushed everyone and pissed off everyone, i found my drive to learn helped me get the knowledge. Not everyone wants to teach you everyday. Its your job as an appretice to get after it!! Never be afraid to quit an outfit cause they wont teach you but never quit cause you cant do it!!!

Hope this helps
Polar

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya so you can spend 150k+ on a degree that earns you 20phr flipping burgers in ft mac.
a degree is friggen useless trades is were the money is at. if your good and know youer chit can organize some sort of circle jerk in a couple years of being ticketed you wont need to get dirty anymore and will have grunts to do the hard work. just sayin.
and earning 100k+ with your 4000 dollar trade ticket.:d

$4000 for a trade ticket??? minimum cost is going to run you $2500 for books and tuition x4 years is $10k plus tools and starving on ui for 8 weeks each year while in school.

Don't see too many engineers/ Dr./ Nurses/ financial guys flipping burgers these days.
Nurses start around $35/hr + shift differential
Engineers start $60k salary in the cities, get a PEng degree and look at $150K
HD techs with experience are making $30-40/hr out here depending on the industry.

Trades are a good way to go for sure, but when you are 50 and worn out you will wish you went to Uni, at 50 engineers are raking in the dough and keep increasing their salaries until they retire, working 8hrs a day in an a/c office.

Remember the 80's and 90's when many trade guys were going back to uni and Nait because there was no work for them? It happens.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Close Pano but not quite right. When everyone bailed in the 80-90's that helped create the trade shortage we are coming into now.

Anyplace that's decent will pay your tuition and books as well as keep you on payroll while you are in school.
I here ya on the body being wore out though, after a really good wrench fest I can hardy twist a beer open.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to go for it, know 2 people who are journeymen one knows his stuff well and enjoys his job decently. The other.....I don't know how he's still employed i'd be surprised if he's capable of a oil change......and he's got his ticket somehow.

Here's what stopped me, it's "meh" money. Biggest thing, working on vehicles that much you have to love it. I can wrench for a weekend here and there and enjoy it but not 40 hours+. I know it would kill my passion for modding/tinkering with my trucks on the weekend. Plus there is little advancement, besides for going into business yourself (not all THAT common) or being a foreman you will do the same crap for 30 maybe 40 years pretty much. I mean if you do electrical it's good but not all do.

Like anything though, a huge part is finding a good employer.

There's nothing wrong with it as a career, just not for everyone.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$4000 for a trade ticket??? minimum cost is going to run you $2500 for books and tuition x4 years is $10k plus tools and starving on ui for 8 weeks each year while in school.

Don't see too many engineers/ Dr./ Nurses/ financial guys flipping burgers these days.
HD techs with experience are making $30-40/hr out here depending on the industry.

Trades are a good way to go for sure, but when you are 50 and worn out you will wish you went to Uni, at 50 engineers are raking in the dough and keep increasing their salaries until they retire, working 8hrs a day in an a/c office.

Remember the 80's and 90's when many trade guys were going back to uni and Nait because there was no work for them? It happens.

I swear EVERY trades guy says that. I know so many that lived at home during it and were broke and whining about it. I couldn't believe it, 2 frigging months, your STILL getting some money and your broke? Something is wrong.

I mean if your on your own is 100% different but a lot at home have tons of money issues.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the toolS I would watch kijiji for some used guys quit and sell box and all then you would have something or watch for tools at stores on sale and get the basic tools then buy as you go. Talk to the old man he may Have some cash you could use too. That's what I would do.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said, 10 months of work, 2 month of school. Auto is 4 yr program, the govt decided to change up the hd program. On road or off road. 3yr program, if you take the 3rd of the other side, you get both hd tickets. It used to be 4 yrs & get all the hd stuff. The 2 months of school doesnt pay that well. Out of 8weeks, you will get 6weeks pay from the govt. Also @ 55% of your current wage. It has good days & bad like anything, but if I was to do it all over again, I would be an electrican or give it a try. I enjoy wiring.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been told I will thrive in the program. I have a passion for wrenching on stuff. gives me such a feeling of accomplishment when I finish.

Everyone's giving such mixed answers about the salary's!

Sent from my killer Nexus S.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just sayin as an example i know a few computer techs, teachers, accountants etc cant get a job in their trade. and if they do it pays nothing.
2500 for books and tuition buddy ill sell you my books. i pay for my guys to go to school all tuition and books cost is just barely over 1000 bucks a year for all right now.so dont try to scare the guy, even so 10g for a 100k a year job not bad pretty good return on your investment imo.
35phr for a nurse how does that feel when you investeed 100k in your tuition and 10 yrs. i hope they give hugs or pull your hair after that one. lol yes you do get better later on but they do top out in the same range as hd techs. have a relative that is head of cardiology at U of A making 45 phr. that tuition pill is a hard one to swallow.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda wishing i took the HD route. Im getting out of the military as a mechanic in september and have my automotive blue seal equivilency but there sure is alot more work out there for HD techs then light duty thats for sure!

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have something like 7000 hour's of work you can challenge the certification (or something like that) to become an h.d. while skipping the apprentice'ing.

(I may be wrong. Still learning the ropes.)

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I decide later in life that I want to start my own outfit, what would it require? Business course's or just a ton of tools or what? I know you did this Polar

Top Bottom