Heating an enclosed?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys all use to heat your enclosed? I was looking at this one but would it be safe even if I did vent it? And I would be leaving sleds in it over night

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u are talking about the sunflower head propane heaters? they should be okay, best to vent for moisture, as it gets very damp in a trailer

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you whether it's safe or not. I have done it and was advise to leave a vent cracked because it will pull the oxygen from the air and then when you open the door in the am you are poisened with c02. Either way it doesn't work. You need forced air to circulate. I had 2 going in my 30ft insulated trailer and it wasted a lot f propane and made a mess that's about it lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you whether it's safe or not. I have done it and was advise to leave a vent cracked because it will pull the oxygen from the air and then when you open the door in the am you are poisened with c02. Either way it doesn't work. You need forced air to circulate. I had 2 going in my 30ft insulated trailer and it wasted a lot f propane and made a mess that's about it lol

Not to mention gasoline vapours and a closed environment.....Any sort of combustion heating unit and closed space is a bad idea IMO. Also poses a risk that it could melt some plastic on your sleds or catch fire if it tipped over. I would be more inclined to get an electric heater and run an extension cord for a couple hours to a plug in at the hotel, should be enough to get it up to temp in a small space and no need vent for CO.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys all use to heat your enclosed? I was looking at this one but would it be safe even if I did vent it? And I would be leaving sleds in it over night
I was standing in my 5th wheel bathroom looking at the vent and wondered if anyone has ever hooked one of those up to their trailer to suck out the humid air. heat + air movement might dry things off faster.
Any thoughts?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention gasoline vapours and a closed environment.....Any sort of combustion heating unit and closed space is a bad idea IMO. Also poses a risk that it could melt some plastic on your sleds or catch fire if it tipped over. I would be more inclined to get an electric heater and run an extension cord for a couple hours to a plug in at the hotel, should be enough to get it up to temp in a small space and no need vent for CO.

hey bud, you don't think a guy would have any problems with water do you. i'm guessing not if trailer had vents, but i've thought i could go whitewater rafting with the water in mine sometimes. never tried the electric heater as it is next to impossible to get next to plug ins.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was standing in my 5th wheel bathroom looking at the vent and wondered if anyone has ever hooked one of those up to their trailer to suck out the humid air. heat + air movement might dry things off faster.
Any thoughts?

well they do have those vents with fans in them should work i'm thinkin.

rider1

Reaction score
I insulated my own trailer and put a 30,000 btu suburban heater in a 21ft trailer. For drying out the floor i bought a fan from greggs dist that moves a lot of air i think it cost around 80.00.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x3

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I insulated my own trailer and put a 30,000 btu suburban heater in a 21ft trailer. For drying out the floor i bought a fan from greggs dist that moves a lot of air i think it cost around 80.00.

is that the heater that sticks out from the wall? my trailer is just over 6 ft and i fear getting decapitated, hehe.. the fan idea sounds like a good idea

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?
I have one of those in my enclosed, it's called a fantastic fan. Seems to work alright for pulling moisture out. Sure gets rid of the exhaust smoke fast when your unloading.

MRFUSION

Reaction score
I have a 27 foot enclosed insulated with a forced air Suburban furnace, only way to go for sure. My last trailer had a propane catodyne style heater but would make so much moisture in there and we would have to always have a vent cracked. My new trailer has sleeping for 6 people and we sleep at the mountain, only way to go IMO. Everyone is loading up to go and we are into our second Rum. Shad

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of those in my enclosed, it's called a fantastic fan. Seems to work alright for pulling moisture out. Sure gets rid of the exhaust smoke fast when your unloading.

Why would you want to get rid of the exhaust smoke? I am jealous of the guys with inclosed trailers they get to stand in the smoke, and me with my open trailer it just goes up into the air. Man I like 2 stroke smoke!!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 27 foot enclosed insulated with a forced air Suburban furnace, only way to go for sure. My last trailer had a propane catodyne style heater but would make so much moisture in there and we would have to always have a vent cracked. My new trailer has sleeping for 6 people and we sleep at the mountain, only way to go IMO. Everyone is loading up to go and we are into our second Rum. Shad

Come on I call BS with out pics........lol show us some pics............

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to get rid of the exhaust smoke? I am jealous of the guys with inclosed trailers they get to stand in the smoke, and me with my open trailer it just goes up into the air. Man I like 2 stroke smoke!!!
Love the smell myself but 2 reasons for the fan to pull the smoke out.

1- after starting 4 machines it's a pretty thick wall of smoke
2- less smoke means less chance my wife gets a headache that day and well..... You know where this is going.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a 28' enclosed that is insulated excluding the floor. Tried a 24x24 catadyne on prop. Makes way too much moisture and burned about 30 lbs a night. It didn't do much for heat at -10 out side. Switched to a 40000 btu suburban forced air and a big fan to circulate the air more. Now we leave our gear in the trailer and everything is dry in the am. 4 nights of use maybe use 60 lbs of prop. Except if its -30 it will use a little more. Imop it's the only way to go.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2 karosene heaters in a 4place trailer and it got pretty warm,,and stinky lol and got a pretty good buzz going on if you stayed in there too long...

forced air is the way to go..

Top Bottom