Harvest 2010

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is everbody making out, we started desicating wheat today,and will start swathing canola on sunday.I have never seen water in the high clearence tracks before, should be interesting with the combines:confused:

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is everbody making out, we started desicating wheat today,and will start swathing canola on sunday.I have never seen water in the high clearence tracks before, should be interesting with the combines:confused:

Rain cost us about $5000 on our first cut of hay. Now concerned about cutting late and getting frost damage to the plants in the ground. Continued rain not good...

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we still got to find the swather lol, and the combine in under all the crap from the winter,,, so we got to find the combine still lol, but we could start just about any time now, their are a few guys cutting canola

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. Pea's desiccated last Tuesday and wheat will be done this week.
Just brought in a new used combine tonight, figure we might have to pay for 14 inches of rain with a wet harvest.

Good year for crops, chitty year for putting up hay...

Play safe and let's bring these crops in this year, best I have seen in over 15 years!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. Pea's desiccated last Tuesday and wheat will be done this week.
Just brought in a new used combine tonight, figure we might have to pay for 14 inches of rain with a wet harvest.

Play safe and let's bring these crops in this year, best I have seen in over 15 years!

Totally agree. Good luck to everyone. Here's to hoping we can recover some losses out of our first hay crop! :beer:

Horses need to eat this winter!!!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

14 inches? you live in the desert man i think we are close to 30 here

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Originally being from Scratch, however a long time ago, I have a certain feel for the farmers and their constant struggle to provide us with food stuffs.

I do not know what desicate means; peas and wheat are or will be desicated. Please inform or enlighten an old fart......

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We spray the cereal grains with a non selective herbicide(roundup) to quicken and evenly ripen the standing crop for straight cutting with the combines,no swathing. It also helps with weed control.
Dont worry its perfectly safe..... Monsanto wouldnt lie:confused:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things around Red Deer are starting to turn but out Coranation way still green. Seen a couple mornings of light frost on the cut grass in low ditches east of Didsbury this week. Hope it stays dry for all you harvesting soon and wave to the milk truck when it goes by, it might be me:hi:

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw some canola getting knocked down yesterday near Devon. Looks like nice crops around that area. Please post some pics once you guys are out running your thrashers. I sure miss home at this time or year.

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things are mostly green out here. Only thing that's really been harvested thus far is wheat that was planted early and lots of lentils.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed Barley is turning real fast now, frost warning for tonight, cover those canola fields.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a new holland in the field straight cutting what looked like barley saturday afternoon north east of Lloyd on the 774. My camera was back at the rig though and I was on my way to town for a beer.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
Around MB, spring wheat, lows of 25b/ac with a high yield heard of 55b/ac,
Canola, low yield of 7b/ac and high yield of 48 heard
Peas havent started, odd oat field done, 70-80 b/ac.
Grass crops, timothy, 350 lbs/ac
Perennial ryegrass yields from 650-1100 lb/ac

grass crops did ok, with all the moisture we were lucky enuf to have the flowering period dry to allow for good pollination.

Legumes, it looks like most of our alfalfa will be below average with yields in the 150 lb/ac, Trefoil, should average 150-250 lb/ac

Lots of drowned out areas in the field,(~25% of field dead) most producers feel they will have a crop insurance claim on the whole farm. Quality, poor. Not a happy harvest in MB so far and we just had another 1" rain, which brings some areas to over 30" to date this year!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very fortunate here so far. Swathing the most incredible canola crop that I have ever grown

Top Bottom