Happy Holidays VS Merry Christmas????

canamgirl

Reaction score
So where I work i see a lot of customers throughout my day, with the holidays around the corner I have found myself wishing some customers a merry christmas... Now I see that some ppl do get offended by that, and i had someone tell me you are suppose to say happy holidays...
I do understand that some people have different religious beliefs such as being Johovah wittness etc. But why get offended by something that everyone celebrates in Canada I know way back when ppl would celebrate it for what it was.. Now a days isnt it for the kids?? and getting together with family and having a good time.. anyways just wanted somw feedback
Merry Christmas!!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This time of year, under the guise of 'political correctness' more and more people are wishing others 'happy holidays.' The thinking being that the recipient of the well wishes might not be Christian and therefore might somehow be offended or feel alienated by hearing, "Merry Christmas." Consider these three factors when choosing your greeting:
1. Christmas is a religious event. Were it not for the Christian faith there simply wouldn't be a Christmas. We have other days of the year devoted to celebrating the birth of our nation and to honor our mothers and fathers. Christmas however, was not created as merely a day-off (that's called Labour Day).
2. How do you suppose a Jewish person would feel if rather than saying, "Happy Hanukkah", a non Jewish person just said "Happy Holiday"? Do you suppose a Muslim fasting during the period of Ramadan would appreciate a non Muslim calling it a 'holiday'? The word holiday in the English language no longer conveys the original meaning of holy-day. Instead it's become a colloquialism for a vacation (British vacationers are commonly referred to as 'holiday-makers').
3. For those people who do practice Christianity, simply wishing them a "Happy Holiday" is to avoid calling the event by its proper name and to demonstrate our intentional or inadvertent disregard for one of their most sacred religious events of the year. To me this is the height of political incorrectness.
If our purpose is to send a non religious greeting to our clients then perhaps we'd be better off sendi
cards on Groundhog Day. In the meantime, here's wishing you a Merry Christmas!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cutoff should have been the mid 90's when all this politically correct crap started popping up everywhere! If you were born pre 90's, "MERRY CHRISTMAS" applies!!! Anything after that, say "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" I WILL NOT CONFORM, and on that note MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL SNOW AND MUDDERS!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! And "HAPPY NEW YEAR" while I'm at it. EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY. LET IT SNOW:beer:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From My Family to yours........

Attachments

• Christmas Card 2012 2013.jpg
    Christmas Card 2012 2013.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 177

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im half jew,,half jahovah witness, half muslem, part rastafarian,, practicing mexican sientoligist and a full blooded cree...you have offended me

This thread has been reported to the national anti rasism concil of canada!

Just say f&ck you to people that way no one will be offended...

Last edited:

mxracer14

Reaction score
Hands down MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! This is Canada and what is the holiday, day?? CHRISTMAS. For those who are offended by merry christmas and the fact the christmas is the day off work, I expect all offended people to be working that day!! I will not conform to foreigners trying to change our holiday! F@#* OFF and go back to where you came from if you dont like our traditions! Merry Chrsitmas and Happy New Year to all you crazy Mud and Snow enthusiasts!!!!! :D

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im half jew,,half jahovah witness, half muslem, part rastafarian,, practicing mexican sientoligist and a full bloaded cree...you have offended me

This thread has been reported to the national anti rasism concil of canada!

Just say f&ck you to people that way no one will be offended...

That's a lot of halves.... You must be one big dude.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a new friend last Sat.....Met this guy that is newto our Country, he and his family are from Lebanon he was has been learningEnglish ( a lot better than most) and trying to learn how we Canadians dothings so he can fit in.
He choose Canada as he has moved his family out ofLebanon re the living conditions and first to moved to Dubai but wanted out ofthere re the human rights issues. He just wants a place that is safe to raisehis family.
The first thing he said to me was Merry Christmas; we hada good conversation about it and several other cultural differences. Wecomplain about drivers here, wow some of the stories he had makes us look likecomplainers....the more we talked the more obvious it became.
What has happened to us as a society we seem to be more contentto complain rather than get up and go fix the problem.....

My Christmas wish to Adam and his family is the same asit is to all of you, even Willy...
Is………MerryChristmas.
Mele Kelikimaka Hawaiian
Milad Majeed Lebanese
Joyeux Noël French
NollaigShona Irish
FroheWeihnachten German
WesołychŚwiąt Polish
FelizNavidad Spanish
З Різдвом Ukrainian
Vrolijkkerstfeest Dutch
诞快乐 Chinese
メリークリスマス Japanese
عيدميلادمجيد Aribic
Veselévánoce Czech
Buon Natale Italian
KrisimasiNjema Swahili
MaligayangPasko Filipino
क्रिसमसकीशुभकामनाएँ Hindi
BoldogKarácsonyt Hungarian
Selamat HariNatal Indonesian
Buon Natale Italian
즐거운성탄절되세요 Korean

Both sides’ my families have beenin Canada for three generations, we have some Irish, Scottish, English andpolish heritage. I am Canadian, but we did come from somewhere else…..

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I made a new friend last Sat.....Met this guy that is newto our Country, he and his family are from Lebanon he was has been learningEnglish ( a lot better than most) and trying to learn how we Canadians dothings so he can fit in.
He choose Canada as he has moved his family out ofLebanon re the living conditions and first to moved to Dubai but wanted out ofthere re the human rights issues. He just wants a place that is safe to raisehis family.
The first thing he said to me was Merry Christmas; we hada good conversation about it and several other cultural differences. Wecomplain about drivers here, wow some of the stories he had makes us look likecomplainers....the more we talked the more obvious it became.
What has happened to us as a society we seem to be more contentto complain rather than get up and go fix the problem.....

My Christmas wish to Adam and his family is the same asit is to all of you,

We are........

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where I work i see a lot of customers throughout my day, with the holidays around the corner I have found myself wishing some customers a merry christmas... Now I see that some ppl do get offended by that, and i had someone tell me you are suppose to say happy holidays...
I do understand that some people have different religious beliefs such as being Johovah wittness etc. But why get offended by something that everyone celebrates in Canada I know way back when ppl would celebrate it for what it was.. Now a days isnt it for the kids?? and getting together with family and having a good time.. anyways just wanted somw feedback
Merry Christmas!!

Its actually quite simple. You say "Merry Christmas", they are offended. Why should you change in order to not offend them when they are not willing to change to accept "Merry Christmas." Myself, I'm at the point where if you're offended by what I say, then I'm offended that you're offended. Now what??? We're both offended. Tired of all this political bullchit we have to deal with. If they are pissy about it, they aren't worth a pot to piss in.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I reported that offensive post....

Its actually quite simple. You say "Merry Christmas", they are offended. Why should you change in order to not offend them when they are not willing to change to accept "Merry Christmas." Myself, I'm at the point where if you're offended by what I say, then I'm offended that you're offended. Now what??? We're both offended. Tired of all this political bullchit we have to deal with. If they are pissy about it, they aren't worth a pot to piss in.

Top Bottom