Guys willing to give a helping hand

willhickey

Reaction score
I thought after reading about the sled getting left behind in the toliet bowl, we could post some stories about some guys that were willing to give an extra hand when we needed it.

Last year I was up in Golden and was riding up to silent pass. When we left Golden we had a little over half a tank of fuel in the diesel truck. Did not think we would need anymore, however we had never been there and did not know how far it was. We headed up and by the time we got there we had an eighth of a tank left. So at the end of the day we were looking for a can of diesel. There was a guy that said he was in the same spot about three years ago and now always carries a can. I asked him how much he wanted for it (I would have paid anyprice) and he just said don't worry about it just make sure you are there for someone else. I could not belive that someone would help out when it was my own stupidity and then did not even accept my offer to cover the cost of the fuel. Thanks to who ever that was I can't tell you how much I appreated it.:hi:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that was really nice of him, I try to help where ever I can cause I'm a big believer in Karma, although its tough to stop and help someone broken down on the side of the road anymore due to the amount of psycho's out there nowadays.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find in saskatoon, if someone is trying to get into a lane from a parking lot or just trying to get into a lane to turn further down the road ill let them in the lane they want.you can sit for 10 minutes or so sometimes and i find when i do let some one in they just wave thanks so gratefully and alot of the time i have to almost stop and wave them in because they cant believe some one is letting them in a lane. this city is full of ------ no one lets anyone in, if you lane change people speed up......im sorry that your in that much or a rush that letting one person in is going to make you more than 10 minutes late.......

its not a great as a deed as pulling someone out of the back country or lending them some fuel but it sure makes people grateful when you do.

i see this is in the snowmobile section not the anything goes so my story dosent really fit.......but i have to say with sledding other than the few ------ out there, if you need a hand more than likely a majority of us will help. I guess its kind of like any recreation but when a fellow sledder needs a hand its makes it feel like you have something in common with them so you feel closer to that person. kind of like guys with the same trucks.......makes people more open and lowers their defenses

Last edited by a moderator:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a guy waiting for me in the staging area in Hasler when we got down from the mountain one day. when he unloaded his sled and was warming it up, he blipped the throttle and it stuck wide open and took off across the parking area and slammed into my pickup hitting the rear driver's side wheel. wrote his sled off, but he sat and waited all day for me to return even tho there was zero damage....just a clean spot on my rim. not really a helping out story, but I sure did appreciate the gesture.

waka

Reaction score
I remember a day not so long ago coming out of quartz, I was coming down the trail and lost focus for a second and my sled got swallowed up by the ditch, me without my bunjee... We were exhausted from the day and did not look forward to the dig... Four sledders stopped and litterally threw my sled back on the trail... You can't know how grateful we were.. Sledders are the best people if you ever need a hand... Thanks to all of you helpful people... Karma will shine on all of you...

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last night I helped push a total stranger out of the snowbank infront of my house, I could hear the tires spinning from my kitchen window, so I grabbed my trusty sorels and gave her a hand. She came back 5 minuits later with a case of beer for me and a rawhide chew toy for my dog, I was shocked.......

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
last night I helped push a total stranger out of the snowbank infront of my house, I could hear the tires spinning from my kitchen window, so I grabbed my trusty sorels and gave her a hand. She came back 5 minuits later with a case of beer for me and a rawhide chew toy for my dog, I was shocked.......

That is a class act right there! There are some left on this earth but not nearly enough! Good story!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some buddies and I were up sledding in McBride a couple of years back. We had come back to the Renshaw cabin for a stop and a pop. When we got there we saw a young kid (maybe 16 ish) sitting there all by himself looking all rejected. We asked what was up and he said that he blew his belt and did not have a spare and his buddies all took off sledding..He of course turned to me because we were running the same belt. He asked the question. Do you happen to have a spare belt? I said yes I do and I gave it to him. He asked where we were staying and we told him ( I did not think that I would ever see him again) When we got back down the trail and low and behold I had a $100.00 bill stuck in the door handle of my trailer...
Just goes to show that most sledders are honest and willing to help their fellow sledder out...:cool:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i went to silent a few years ago and when we got there we notied i had a slow leak in a trailer tire, and had no spares. of course we went riding for the day and worried about it later. so when we returned back down we asked a few trucks on the way out if they had a spare or an air compressor to use. sure enough one guy actually gave us his compressor so we could keep stopping to fill it enough to get to golden. i think we only had about $20 cash on us, so we gave it to him, and he didn't even want that. it was a way better option than ditching the sleds and trailer in the trees and hauling --- back to golden to get a tire only to return to no sleds!
when we got to golden it was late on a saturday night and had to call the 24hr service dude. he came out right away and helped us out. we made sure to grab cash and paid him very well!

Last edited by a moderator:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

last year during a snowstorm in Calgary, I was driving down a side street just off Macleod. There were cars parked on both sides and only one lane getting through.

In front of me was a minivan stopped at the bottom of a very slight incline. She was stuck on the ice. I got out to push and a couple of pedestrians stopped to help out as well. Try as hard as we could, we couldn't get that thing to budge even though there was very little snow under it.

Finally the guy pushing next to me yells out " DO YOU HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON?"

The lady replies "YES" and continues to give it gas spinning her front tires. The 3 of us looked at eachother and starting laughing. One guy went to the window and politely asked her to take the brake off.

She did and was on her way with just a little push from us.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year during a snowstorm in calgary, i was driving down a side street just off macleod. There were cars parked on both sides and only one lane getting through.

In front of me was a minivan stopped at the bottom of a very slight incline. She was stuck on the ice. I got out to push and a couple of pedestrians stopped to help out as well. Try as hard as we could, we couldn't get that thing to budge even though there was very little snow under it.

Finally the guy pushing next to me yells out " do you have the parking brake on?"

the lady replies "yes" and continues to give it gas spinning her front tires. The 3 of us looked at eachother and starting laughing. One guy went to the window and politely asked her to take the brake off.

She did and was on her way with just a little push from us.

bahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last fall the hubby and I were picking up a sled from my Yamaha rep, in the parking lot of a safeway. It was freezing cold and the rep forgot the keys to the trailer, without them we were without a ramp.

Out of nowwhere a truck full of firemen shows up, I gave them my best "help a sister out" look. They sauntered over, joked about the sled being stolen... Then cut the lock for us!

Thank you firefighters! If not for you guys a trip to Edmonton would have been wasted!

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought after reading about the sled getting left behind in the toliet bowl, we could post some stories about some guys that were willing to give an extra hand when we needed it.

Last year I was up in Golden and was riding up to silent pass. When we left Golden we had a little over half a tank of fuel in the diesel truck. Did not think we would need anymore, however we had never been there and did not know how far it was. We headed up and by the time we got there we had an eighth of a tank left. So at the end of the day we were looking for a can of diesel. There was a guy that said he was in the same spot about three years ago and now always carries a can. I asked him how much he wanted for it (I would have paid anyprice) and he just said don't worry about it just make sure you are there for someone else. I could not belive that someone would help out when it was my own stupidity and then did not even accept my offer to cover the cost of the fuel. Thanks to who ever that was I can't tell you how much I appreated it.:hi:

I think that guy you are talking about was me. I was in Silent last year, and gave some one my diesel from my jerry can. But I have done that for a couple people, I gave some to a guy in Quartz once too, and I was low myself. Got back into Golden at the Shell station with my low fuel light telling me I had 11 kms left so I was in good shape. I was driving a black chevy. Actually might not be me because I think I remember just taking a beer instead, and you didn't mention that part.

speed

Reaction score
there was one time at in revy we were all beat it was the very end of the day and my buddy decided that that would be a good time to get stuck in a tree well with his nytro so when i got up there he told me he didnt have his snow bunjee but sure enough somebody came to the rescue and gave us a hand getting him out

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what it's all about folks. Although I've never been in need of assistance (yet) - I'm a big believer in Karma. I ride with people who are willing to lend a helping hand, and we've done so on numerous occassions - the most recent a young lad off the trail and into the creek @ Quartz (I think he was on a MC 500 or 600, and he was pinned under the sled in the water. We got him and his sled out of there, and made sure he got back to the family. I may have ridden in wet boots all day after that, but I had a warm feeling on the inside...
So whether it's fuel, a tow out, mechanical repair on the hill, etc - I'm always willing to lend a hand, and there are numerous sledders out there that will gladly do the same. Kudos to them.

on the fence

Reaction score
Hi all the first time I went to the mountains in 87 you could have left a $100 on your jerry cans at any of the cabins in any areas. guys would help other guys getting unstuck had a buddy role a sled trying to get to somebody that was stuck that he didn't even know. through the years it seems to be changing sleds getting stolen, gas going missing, rig getting stolen, have to lock down just about everything at night, times have changed maybe not for much for the good.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last fall the hubby and I were picking up a sled from my Yamaha rep, in the parking lot of a safeway. It was freezing cold and the rep forgot the keys to the trailer, without them we were without a ramp.

Out of nowwhere a truck full of firemen shows up, I gave them my best "help a sister out" look. They sauntered over, joked about the sled being stolen... Then cut the lock for us!

Thank you firefighters! If not for you guys a trip to Edmonton would have been wasted!

Next time you get near a fire hall, doesn't matter which one, drop off a plate of cookies or a pie for them and tell them the story. ;)
Wife and had an incident last year where we came upon a guy and his wife. The wife had put her sled down over a embankment about 40 feet. She knew she wasn't going to make the corner and bailed. The sled was upside down on some fallen trees and up against another tree. The other couple they were riding with had left them behind. They had no gear for getting out of this mess. There was no way the sled was coming back up the embankment. We had to clear a path to ride it out from below. I spent 2 hours cutting down trees with my flip out hand saw. Broke one blade, lucky I had a second saw. We managed to get the sled running and then we bunjeed and bunjeed until we had it back up on the trail. About 10 minutes before we got the sled out, their riding partners came back. Better late than never. What blew me away during this whole ordeal was 6 different sledders came by, had a look and continued on their way. DID NOT HELP! How could anyone do that? :mad: A father and son finally stopped to assist. I was soaked through with sweat when we finished. I honestly enjoyed helping the guy and his wife out but I was really put off by the guys who stopped and looked and didn't help. The grateful couple offered to take us out for dinner that night but we graciously declined. One word....KARMA. I honestly believe in it!:beer:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember the first trip up to McBride for the year, I unloaded my old sled ( 02 summit 800) and started off up the trail maybe i dunno couple km's when i heard some bad rattling so i shut the sled off to investigate, Turned out my recoil has let go and the lil clip that holds it all together let loose and took out some electrical parts. So it wouldnt start and my buddies 6 of them! all took off saying good luck ( last time i rode with them). they wouldnt even take me back to the truck!!!

I started walking back down the trail watching sleds pass by making it worse! Low and behold an older gentleman and his son stopped and asked why i was walking and asked where my sled was ( a km up the trail approx) so he hooked up my sled to his and pulled me all the way down to my truck. I tried to pay him for his kindness but he absolutely refused and said well son were not done yet :d He made a couple "skidoo jokes" and proceeded to help me load the sled onto the sled deck.. i really could not believe the generosity of this Guy and his son, i would never have gotten that sled up onto the deck by myself... Thank god there's still some good people out there still!

I later went and rented a M7 and bought the parts needed to fix my sled and headed back to the hill for the rest of the afternoon and guess who i met up with? the pair that helped me, needless to say we became good friends and i still talk to them to this day. :d :beer:

willhickey

Reaction score
I think that guy you are talking about was me. I was in Silent last year, and gave some one my diesel from my jerry can. But I have done that for a couple people, I gave some to a guy in Quartz once too, and I was low myself. Got back into Golden at the Shell station with my low fuel light telling me I had 11 kms left so I was in good shape. I was driving a black chevy. Actually might not be me because I think I remember just taking a beer instead, and you didn't mention that part.

It could have been. You can't miss me out there I got my trailer all decaled up in RE/MAX Colors. That way it is a write off. Either way I can't tell you how much we appreate guys like you out there. That is the thing when you are running desiel, lots of gas kicking around but no desiel. Thank you so much.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember the first trip up to McBride for the year, I unloaded my old sled ( 02 summit 800) and started off up the trail maybe i dunno couple km's when i heard some bad rattling so i shut the sled off to investigate, Turned out my recoil has let go and the lil clip that holds it all together let loose and took out some electrical parts. So it wouldnt start and my buddies 6 of them! all took off saying good luck ( last time i rode with them). they wouldnt even take me back to the truck!!!

I started walking back down the trail watching sleds pass by making it worse! Low and behold an older gentleman and his son stopped and asked why i was walking and asked where my sled was ( a km up the trail approx) so he hooked up my sled to his and pulled me all the way down to my truck. I tried to pay him for his kindness but he absolutely refused and said well son were not done yet :d He made a couple "skidoo jokes" and proceeded to help me load the sled onto the sled deck.. i really could not believe the generosity of this Guy and his son, i would never have gotten that sled up onto the deck by myself... Thank god there's still some good people out there still!

I later went and rented a M7 and bought the parts needed to fix my sled and headed back to the hill for the rest of the afternoon and guess who i met up with? the pair that helped me, needless to say we became good friends and i still talk to them to this day. :d :beer:

And you can bet that his son will be the same sort of guy.....that chit is contageous....

Top Bottom