Grizzly Bear hunt ban in BC

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizz populations are already higher than they were 40 years ago by more than double. I feel this hunting ban will only allow the population to increase causing more bear issues in towns and cities as well as a long term affect of reduced fear of humans. You will see CO's exterminations increase and more maulings and attacks. There's really no science supporting that we need to save the bears. BC already has 25% of total North America grizzly population.

This is totally a political play to satisfy the city dwellers that are disjointed from rural living and the true outdoors realities. I just hope this doesn't gain momentum and lead to stopping the wolf cull as some of these pamphlet warriors are calling for.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hunters kill 2% of the population. You think 300 more animals out of 15,000 is going to cause all these problems? Maybe we should get you and your rifle out there to scare away every grizzly in BC. Show them all how scary you are so they don't come close to us.

You act like the BC bear population is something to be proud of? It's literally the only place left, beside Alaska that the bears can live. They previously roamed all across North America, but I guess if there's a bunch left in BC, lets shoot them.

Theres a big difference between protecting your family and your egos need to mount a head or rug. I apologize if you're not a trophy hunter, but I assume you are by defending the pointless murder of Grizzlies.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Defiantly don't defend govt management of wildlife resources. History has proven. Like I said I hope they eat all the mtn Caribou.

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I saw more signs of grizzly in the Kananaskis last year, then in the the pervious 34 years I've ridden there. Got closer to one and it's kill then I ever wanted to.
There is no shortage there. Maybe the bleeding hearts need do some "personal" research. Over population is not the answer.
I love nature and wild life, but I like living more.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hunters kill 2% of the population. You think 300 more animals out of 15,000 is going to cause all these problems? Maybe we should get you and your rifle out there to scare away every grizzly in BC. Show them all how scary you are so they don't come close to us.

You act like the BC bear population is something to be proud of? It's literally the only place left, beside Alaska that the bears can live. They previously roamed all across North America, but I guess if there's a bunch left in BC, lets shoot them.

Theres a big difference between protecting your family and your egos need to mount a head or rug. I apologize if you're not a trophy hunter, but I assume you are by defending the pointless murder of Grizzlies.
I assume this is directed at me. I am not a trophy hunter and don't necessarily support trophy hunting for the sake of trophy hunting but I do support population management. If that population management leads to a sustainable harvest level and businesses then all the better. The numbers have almost tripled since the 70's how many grizzlies do you feel BC needs to support to make up for those areas that let their populations dwindle? We're talking 300/year do you understand how exponents work and how the population will grow year over year?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw more signs of grizzly in the Kananaskis last year, then in the the pervious 34 years I've ridden there. Got closer to one and it's kill then I ever wanted to.
There is no shortage there. Maybe the bleeding hearts need do some "personal" research. Over population is not the answer.
I love nature and wild life, but I like living more.

Ummmmmm......did they move the Kananaskis to BC without telling me?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of coarse if the human population increases, most animal numbers will fall regardless if there is hunting or not. I do believe wildlife management is very important and have a job to do insure healthy numbers of "all species"... however there are a lot of people who disagree and figure large numbers of grizzlies is healthy for the environment ..when in fact it is just the opposite. Crows and rats are the exception.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your first point said it all. 2% and 300 of 15000. Even if you factor in poaching, natural loss and say 3rd party death by train or truck or something let's say 1200 bears die a year. 1200 of 15000 is still a growing population. A grizz hunt can generate between 10-20,000 dollars. That's just for the tags. Add in hotels food meals and extras that adds up to a whole bunch of revenu and jobs lost. Don't forget buying a tag doesn't guarantee a bear either and not all frizz hunters are after just the rug as much as the experience.

This was a ndp decision to please greens over the site c dam fiasco

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Typical attitude for some who has no idea of what is going on here . We are facing riding closures because of caribou numbers ,single biggest predator of mtn caribou is g bears during calving season , 300 more = a lot less surviving caribou calves . Another number they don’t want to discuss is the increased number of problem bears disposed of by the CO service . Leave your southern Alberta ideas in southern Alberta

metrod

Reaction score
I work all over the bush in the East and West Kootenays, there are no shortage of bears in these areas!! Cant wait till these bleeding hearts have to deal with a growing population that will lead to more and more encounters with people in the backcountry and in town.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm not defending the government just rewriting some things. They say there is more money to be made in bear tours than in hunting them. I don't know if that is the case or not but I do know that outfitters have a pretty good income. Will the money from bear tours be enough to cover the increased medical costs for those tourists that just happen to get too close, or the cost of more people mauled in the bush or in the rural towns, and/or the extra need for CO's to control increased populations. I can see it being a trade off with the Greens but it sure doesn't follow any science that is out there.

I'm betting that the many outfitters are p*ssed. It is only the beginning of many things to come that the people of the lower mainland want and vote for. We, in the rural areas are in for a rude awakening in the next 3 years.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not defending the government just rewriting some things. They say there is more money to be made in bear tours than in hunting them.

The greenies "income" argument is stupid. So.......do both of those and make even more money! They're not real good with math when they run out of environmental excuses.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the added bears will eat the ndp supporters and next election things will turn out better. Hope they like looking at grizzlies, because they won’t be able to look at deer, moose, elk, farmers cattle and other animals as much.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not just an overpopulation problem in B.C. Here in the eastern foothills, I saw 6 different grizzlys in 6 days of moose hunting. Word on the minesite where I work, is, there are 18 collared grizzlys on the minesite alone! Its time for some form of management.

Nordeggab

Reaction score
Here in Nordegg Alberta the grizzly population is way up since the hunting ban and the elk have disappeared. I prefer elk meat myself.

Top Bottom