Government to cash in on Revy tragedy.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little birdy told me........ or perhaps you would like to ask them? The Crazy Canadian has a website and would be more than happy to tune you in!
BC registration has never been enforced. Cops dont care. If you want insurance you register and pay tax on your purchase.

Sure are a lot of smart Azz answers here lately. What is it with people like you and CR500R? Your types don't like sharing info when asked questions? You just have a hissy fit and tell people to go look! Lighten up and loosen your shorts man.

Cops don't care? Hmmm, tell that to all the people that have been fined in BC for not having their sleds registered and proof of such with them while riding.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW! Your responses surprise me every time... you are getting more and more belligerent with old age... Not the same guy that I met and started riding with 8 years ago! :( Where did the "old Dave" go... the guy who would approach people with respect and be the first person to take the time to help another out or take the time to explain something to someone with less experience in that area??? Dissapointed... :nono:

Not sure what has changed but the "old Dave" was a much better guy! It would be nice to see some of that guy!

Braden

I don' know this Dave guy but I agree with your comments Alberta Boy. Whats with you Dave? Somebody pizz in yer cornflakes?
Someone asks you civilized questions and this is how you respond. You'll go places in life with that attitude. Why are you even here?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure are a lot of smart Azz answers here lately. What is it with people like you and CR500R? Your types don't like sharing info when asked questions? You just have a hissy fit and tell people to go look! Lighten up and loosen your shorts man.

Cops don't care? Hmmm, tell that to all the people that have been fined in BC for not having their sleds registered and proof of such with them while riding.

I have been riding for 12 years now, never been asked for registration. Twice have had cops in a check stop check my serial number and then tell me to have a nice night.

As for smart AZZ? You are commenting on things that have already been posted and reposted!! Go look old man before you say things like that!! It's very disrespectful to the heroes that were there AT REVELSTOKE.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW! Your responses surprise me every time... you are getting more and more belligerent with old age... Not the same guy that I met and started riding with 8 years ago! :( Where did the "old Dave" go... the guy who would approach people with respect and be the first person to take the time to help another out or take the time to explain something to someone with less experience in that area??? Dissapointed... :nono:

Not sure what has changed but the "old Dave" was a much better guy! It would be nice to see some of that guy!

Braden

You gotta be friggin kidding me.....
Read this whole thread over slowly, very slowly. A few people here just can't seem to get past the fact that it's a small part to a big picture in making riding in the mountains of BC safer all the way around. I think it's a pretty simple thing to understand, No one thing is going to save lives, hell you could have everything imaginable on your side and still get wiped out by mother nature, nobody can control her, But why not reduce the risks;

Insurance and registration protects you and others from each other,

Proper training, such as avy courses, or even maybe a snowmobiling course, protects you and others,

Proper gear, beacons, probes, shovels, backpacks with survival gear, etc. helps protect you and others,

CAC issued warnings, advisories and bulletins are there to protect us,

The list could go on, I'm sure.There's alot more that can be done by every level of the snowmobile community, from gov't , clubs, BCSF, and us as individuals to make the sport safer. How many people do you think actually have a back pack with the gear to get them thru an emergency, with what I've seen I'd say a generous guess would be 50%. How many people check and understand the CAC bulletins before they ride, probably even less.
If you can't understand this simple fact, like I said earlier, no sense in trying to explain it , you won't understand anyhow...

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
You gotta be friggin kidding me.....
Read this whole thread over slowly, very slowly. A few people here just can't seem to get past the fact that it's a small part to a big picture in making riding in the mountains of BC safer all the way around. I think it's a pretty simple thing to understand, No one thing is going to save lives, hell you could have everything imaginable on your side and still get wiped out by mother nature, nobody can control her, But why not reduce the risks;

Proper training, such as avy courses, or even maybe a snowmobiling course, protects you and others,

Proper gear, beacons, probes, shovels, backpacks with survival gear, etc. helps protect you and others,

The list could go on, I'm sure.There's alot more that can be done by every level of the snowmobile community, from gov't , clubs, BCSF, and us as individuals to make the sport safer. How many people do you think actually have a back pack with the gear to get them thru an emergency, with what I've seen I'd say a generous guess would be 50%. How many people check and understand the CAC bulletins before they ride, probably even less.
If you can't understand this simple fact, like I said earlier, no sense in trying to explain it , you won't understand anyhow...

No I'm not kidding... why didn't answer like that in the first place??? You could have provided your thoughts and opinions but SAVE US THE ATTITUDE!!!

This isn't the only post that your arrogent comments can be found. It seems like anytime you type something, you are spewing venom! Drop it!!!

Read it slowly? Now you have to be kidding me... There are so many things that I could say but I will refrain as you are clearly overmatched in this wits and intelligence arena! This is probably where you will go on to insult the "flatlanders" not knowing anything about sledding or sled saftey... FLAME ON GRUMPY!:rolleyes:

backseatrider

Reaction score
This has been a long time coming in my opinion. We as sledders have to figure out a way to pay for the heli-vacs!! The cost of rescuing us should not be part of normal peoples taxes!! We put ourselves at risk, not the school teacher down the road who warms up before golfing and struggles with a mortgage!!
We as mountain sledder push the limits because it makes us tick, i cant live without it, but my nieghbors are paying for the rescue missions to save my friends lives, why? If you can afford this sport then you can afford to pony up some dough to pay for a chopper to save your buddies or your life!!
If you have to save up for a beacon take up a different sport this ones out of your means!!
And that goes double for extreme river boating!! I hate hearing about a rescue for those guys cause i cant afford one yet!!!

In Alberta you need to have a license and insurance on your sled, and I have no problem with paying for it. That said, unless the BC government is going to license skiers, white water rafters, and mountain bikers so they can chip in on the rescue costs then I expect all the money collected from licensing and insuring sleds to go into a pot for sledders rescue! All summer long in Calgary, you hear news reports that the river is too high and people are to stay of it but walk along the bike path and there a hundreds of people out on it. All winter you hear and read road reports that the roads are bad and people should stay home, but look out the window and traffic is normal. The job report should improve significantly in the next little while as the government and police forces hire all the people who are going to ticket us. I wonder if they will be able to fine themselves because if I get a ticket for being in the backcountry when it was closed I was not the only one who broke the law. If I need to be rescued, I have no problem with paying for my rescue, I do have a problem of paying a fee to keep a service in place and then when I need to use the service finding out the service was cut due to lack of funding. My rant!:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding for 12 years now, never been asked for registration. Twice have had cops in a check stop check my serial number and then tell me to have a nice night.

As for smart AZZ? You are commenting on things that have already been posted and reposted!! Go look old man before you say things like that!! It's very disrespectful to the heroes that were there AT REVELSTOKE.

You've been checked twice that means the cops don't care everywhere? I guess you're saying the world revolves around you. Thats what I figured.
The only one I see in this particular conversation thats being at all disrespectful is you my friend, go look in the mirror.

Dude, you were asked very simple questions and replied like a child, grow up!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've been checked twice that means the cops don't care everywhere? I guess you're saying the world revolves around you. Thats what I figured.
The only one I see in this particular conversation thats being at all disrespectful is you my friend, go look in the mirror.

Dude, you were asked very simple questions and replied like a child, grow up!

Perhaps i have missed your pertinent questions would you mind reposting them kind sir?

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But why not reduce the risks;

So hypocritical!!! Start looking in your backyard first Dave... how about the fact of you saying that the CAC info is a total waste of time (and yes there are a couple of people that can confirm)... or bragging about setting off slides (yes, there are a few people that can confirm)... OR having a nephew that hasn't gone through an avy course yet (been riding in the mountains for 6 years!) or the fact that he just got a probe but still carries his beacon in his pocket...

When is the last time that you did any avy training??? Maybe it is time to practice what you preach... I know that your nephew is bright enough to understand it if you take the time to explain it! :nono:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just to lighten this up a bit, it appears to me that the RCMP in different areas have different agenda's.

The Blue River/Valemount/McBride area is renowned, as evidenced on this forum in the early season, for road checks. Registration, insurance, GVW, proper lighting, proper distance past bumper, etc. are a constant thorn in the side of sledders using the area. I have never ridden there, so I'm just taking this from the pages of the best forum out there.

On the other hand, in Revy, Golden, Radium, Fernie, the road blocks/checks appear to be only for stolen sleds and liquor consumption. I have been stopped on numerous occassions, VIN# dispatched, sleds not reported stolen, have a "great evening sir!" Never any mention of license, registration truck and/or sleds. As stated above, in the areas that I ride, the BC registration appears to be a non-issue.

But times are changing and so they should......

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said...most snowmobilers just need avy & survival training

Alot of sledders have it now adays, the problem is that yeah even though they have it their not using their brains when it comes to it, last weekend was a classic example. Bunch of people hyped up by an event, at the end of the day had to prove how had the least amount of common sense and unfortunatly ruined alot of people's weekend, and altered their lives dramaticly.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not enough have the training. PERIOD.
That is a given.
You can choose who you ride with, AVY training is just a bonus. I agree some are just plain reckless, and have training, and some have a safe outlook and have no training. You can lead a horse to water... no need to finish the rest.

There are people who I have ridden with have broken some basic awareness rules. I have seen it first hand. I won't get into details.

Someone needs a new Christmas or birthday gift. I have learned this first hand when I spent a weekend with him.

Do yourself a favour. Be good uncles. Go as a group and refresh your training. Thank me later.:d

(Fescue you shitdisturber...LOL)

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I'm not kidding... why didn't answer like that in the first place??? You could have provided your thoughts and opinions but SAVE US THE ATTITUDE!!!.........

FLAME ON GRUMPY!:rolleyes:

So hypocritical!!! Start looking in your backyard first Dave... how about the fact of you saying that the CAC info is a total waste of time (and yes there are a couple of people that can confirm)... or bragging about setting off slides (yes, there are a few people that can confirm)... OR having a nephew that hasn't gone through an avy course yet (been riding in the mountains for 6 years!) or the fact that he just got a probe but still carries his beacon in his pocket...

When is the last time that you did any avy training??? Maybe it is time to practice what you preach... I know that your nephew is bright enough to understand it if you take the time to explain it! :nono:

Wow.... absoultely unbelievable, not sure what I did to provoke this kind of personal slanderous attack, I thought we had a good discussion going on about the original post until your posts AB, I thought you had abit more class than that, you've definitely proved that wrong. But I'll respond to your so called facts in my backyard,

First off, I guarantee I've never said the CAC is a waste of time, I agree that would be very hypocritical, especially when its been on my fav list here at home for years, and is on the folks computer out in Mcbride, or at least it was last trip out, as we were checking it out there for info on Revy ,etc. and others will back that up as they were there looking over my shoulder...

If freely admitting to triggerring a few very small slides/sloughs when asked is bragging then, yes, I'm guilty. I won't lie to anyone if they ask, far from bragging, I don't run down to the bar and say ""Hey y'all I set off a slide today"" that in my books would be bragging, and not cool.

As for the nephew, we showed him out to use his beacon when he was given it, If what you say about him carrying it in his pocket and not wearing properly is true, he will be given a reality check next trip out. He's 18 yrs old, I don't, and shouldn't have to, dress him in the mornings before we head out. This is complete news to me that I was unaware of, whether you want to believe it or not is your choice...

As for my training, I've admitted many times that I can use a refresher, I have had training in winter survival, basic avalanche awareness and some other stuff mountain oriented that was offerred when I was in the military. No, the nephew hasn't had any yet, it has been in the plans, but due to a number of reasons just hasn't been able to come together yet...

and as far as this goes,"" This is probably where you will go on to insult the "flatlanders" not knowing anything about sledding or sled saftey..."" that's your comment not mine, as other than my brother, every one of my friends I ride with is from the prairies, and are great people.

I find it quite comical that you seem to think of yourself as the internet police here, and would sincerely hope that you don't try to drag others we know into this hatred you have built up for me, When I look back at the posts the only obvious attitude and belligerence is coming from you at me.

I'll finish up here, by saying sorry to my fellow snow and mudders who are reading this for having had a good discussion go south for no apparent reason, as I have hard time believing this would be over my comment"" like I said earlier, no sense in trying to explain it , you won't understand anyhow... "" as that would be the only thing here I typed that might show attitude. Guess I'll have to throw my WOT t-shirt out as that's what's on it too...
Braden, if you still feel the need to attack me please be respectful to the forum users and just send me PM's I'll be more than happy to entertain you that way.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow.... absoultely unbelievable, not sure what I did to provoke this kind of personal slanderous attack, I thought we had a good discussion going on about the original post until your posts AB, I thought you had abit more class than that, you've definitely proved that wrong. But I'll respond to your so called facts in my backyard,

First off, I guarantee I've never said the CAC is a waste of time, I agree that would be very hypocritical, especially when its been on my fav list here at home for years, and is on the folks computer out in Mcbride, or at least it was last trip out, as we were checking it out there for info on Revy ,etc. and others will back that up as they were there looking over my shoulder...

If freely admitting to triggerring a few very small slides/sloughs when asked is bragging then, yes, I'm guilty. I won't lie to anyone if they ask, far from bragging, I don't run down to the bar and say ""Hey y'all I set off a slide today"" that in my books would be bragging, and not cool.

As for the nephew, we showed him out to use his beacon when he was given it, If what you say about him carrying it in his pocket and not wearing properly is true, he will be given a reality check next trip out. He's 18 yrs old, I don't, and shouldn't have to, dress him in the mornings before we head out. This is complete news to me that I was unaware of, whether you want to believe it or not is your choice...

As for my training, I've admitted many times that I can use a refresher, I have had training in winter survival, basic avalanche awareness and some other stuff mountain oriented that was offerred when I was in the military. No, the nephew hasn't had any yet, it has been in the plans, but due to a number of reasons just hasn't been able to come together yet...

and as far as this goes,"" This is probably where you will go on to insult the "flatlanders" not knowing anything about sledding or sled saftey..."" that's your comment not mine, as other than my brother, every one of my friends I ride with is from the prairies, and are great people.

I find it quite comical that you seem to think of yourself as the internet police here, and would sincerely hope that you don't try to drag others we know into this hatred you have built up for me, When I look back at the posts the only obvious attitude and belligerence is coming from you at me.

I'll finish up here, by saying sorry to my fellow snow and mudders who are reading this for having had a good discussion go south for no apparent reason, as I have hard time believing this would be over my comment"" like I said earlier, no sense in trying to explain it , you won't understand anyhow... "" as that would be the only thing here I typed that might show attitude. Guess I'll have to throw my WOT t-shirt out as that's what's on it too...
Braden, if you still feel the need to attack me please be respectful to the forum users and just send me PM's I'll be more than happy to entertain you that way.

Thank you for the admissions... I will "entertain" and/or "attack" you via PMs :rolleyes:

Top Bottom