GoPro-2 (need help with mounting suggestions)

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a Hero-2 for Christmas. Been through the manual and tried it out around home and cant wait to get it out sledding. Im a little concerned with the mounting hardware they provide for the sled helmet however. Its just an adhesive strip... Is this enough? Im worried about boondocking and a tree branch hitting the camera and knocking it off without me knowing... Suggestions?

What part of the helmet are most guys mounting it? Im thinking of mounting on the side as opposed to the top of the helmet in case i have to duck for a branch etc..

Thanks in advance.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stick on mounts work good my friend has it lots of branches while dirt biking and they have never fallen off
i think I would wrap a tether cord around it so that if it does get knocked off it will not get lost

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the m3 sticky mounts will stay on forever,if u put it on in a warm environment 24 hrs before taking it out in the cold.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the 3m sticky pads work really well. Only one i ever had come off was when i had my gopro on top of my helmet and dropped it right on the gopro...pulled the paint right off my helmet haha so they are strong

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you helmet is clean (use rubbing alcohol), dry and warm (room temp), make sure the mount is warm, and they will stay on no problem. I mount mine on the side for fear of hitting branches as well. I'm not so worried about losing the gopro as much as just have my head wrenched back by the camera getting caught on the branch.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tether is a good idea as well as let it sit min 24 hrs before using. let the adheisive cure

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My helmet was pretty beat up when I attached it. Held good for 2 years. Bringing of the season, on a fairly cold day I dropped my helmet onto the frozen gravel road and it peeled off. So it needs a good direct hit.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those suction cups work pretty good if you have a smooth surface. Tethers are a good idea too. Heat up the adhesive and surfaces with a hairdryer or heat gun... get that glue nice and warm, but not hot.

I took a ski pole and mounted the gopro on it with the handlebar mount. I then rigged up a way to mount it straight in front of your sled by about 3 feet facing you. It makes an AWESOME POV... and it's easy to store when not in use.

Last edited:

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those suction cups work pretty good if you have a smooth surface. Tethers are a good idea too. Heat up the adhesive and surfaces with a hairdryer or heat gun... get that glue nice and warm, but not hot.

I took a ski pole and mounted the gopro on it with the handlebar mount. I then rigged up a way to mount it straight in front of your sled by about 3 feet facing you. It makes an AWESOME POV... and it's easy to store when not in use.

Let's see a pic of the mount pls

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good suggestions - thanks guys. Has anyone mounted one to the sled itself? I was thinking about between the headlights. Only thing is, the 'over the hood' days the camera wouldnt be much use. And you wouldnt get the POV of the rider. Just straight ahead. Although with the sled 'bopping' around, the actual video might make a person dizzy trying to watch it. Thoughts on this?

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not get 2 gopros then? I am building a front mount for my sled and will post a picture if it works in fernie next week

All good suggestions - thanks guys. Has anyone mounted one to the sled itself? I was thinking about between the headlights. Only thing is, the 'over the hood' days the camera wouldnt be much use. And you wouldnt get the POV of the rider. Just straight ahead. Although with the sled 'bopping' around, the actual video might make a person dizzy trying to watch it. Thoughts on this?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll try to dig it up, it's on an old hard drive. It made the ground twist and move while you were leaning, and the sled stayed still. You never had a problem at snorkel time, because it was a couple of feet ahead of the bumper.:cool:
Let's see a pic of the mount pls

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMAG0538.jpg

i added a teather because i have seen them fly off and be lost. i used a cable from a mtn bikr, drilled through my visor.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have put mine to the test and the clips seem to brake off more the the 3m letting go.
I always use a tether and the only one I've lost was out of my pfd kayaking.

Have fun there is nothing better then coming home to 2 more hours of sledding

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is another reason that I mount my GoPro to the side of my helmet. You see the visor at the side of the shot, and it gives a constant reference. So even with the rest of the frame bouncing around, the constant really helps to give it a more stable feel. I also mount mine to the front bumper, looking back (with a bunch of those little extra attachments to make it longer), and I've also experimented with mounting to the rear bumper. It gives a really good perspective, but I need to get it up higher as well. It just gets buried really quickly.

Top Bottom