Golden oil in a diesel engine?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a oil change in our 2011 duramax 2000km ago. The oil on the dip stick is still very golden. Typically on anything diesel we have the oil is black.

Truck has the dpf and a efi live tow tune on it... anyone know wtf is going on?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Resized_20161204_183749.jpg

Fun$

Reaction score
The piston rings are doing there job of sealing the cylinder
usually blowby turns the oil black

seen46

Reaction score
Normal, It's probably your tow tune disabled your EGR. Which makes a big difference in how much soot is put into the oil. And Golden or black are both fine, doesn't necessarily mean anything. And blacks fine too, means your oil is doing it's job, suspending the soot and contaminants. I personally found Rotella turns black the quickest.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are still concerned get an oil analysis done. $25-30 most places and its nice to know if your services are frequent or even too frequent and save some cash

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's rotella 5w40.

Just thought it was strange it was so golden. All my other diesel equipment and trucks with no pollution controls turn the oil black right after a change. Thanks

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old 7.3 when i switched over to rotella stayed clean like that until it got close to being due for a oil change.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same with my 03 cummins. Ran golden until almost oil change.

my '12 is black about an hour after an oil change.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 11 Cummins w no pollution control is black within 5 mins of the change, just learned to accept it, we even went to the extent of doing a change (oil and filter), letting the truck high idle for a half hour and doing a second change (oil and filter),.... same result, something about the ol Cummins just likes black oil. don't matter if its rotela, north, mobil 1.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 11 dmax stayed golden like that till close to oil change time. Same oil rotella T6

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be fuel related too. I use Safeway diesel

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I put on an amsoil dual bypass filter on my duramax, kept my oil clear for 8 months, lots and lots of km's on my truck. EGR deleted, straight pipe, cooler gone, everything on the truck that is or was emissions is gone. Oil samples are cheaper then an oil change with amsoil synthetic lol. I ended up saving money in the end.

Both my 07 and 13 Duramax are black as soon as I change the oil.
duramax oil pan has a raised lip that you can't get all of the oil out of it. I try to tip my truck with some jacks so it gets as much out of it as I can. I also add a quart of cheap oil with the plug out to try and flush out whatever can be in the pan.

The hotter the oil oil is when you drain it the better, everything will be floating in the oil that the filter can't catch.

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 11 Duramax work truck would go black right away until I deleted it at 200k. Now it stays golden right to the change. I go by the OLM and it is always 16k to zero%. Truck has 350k now. EGR makes the oil black but I don't think it hurts anything.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine is a 07 duramax with 370000,the oil stays clean for life of oil,but egr is deleated. company truck oil goes black right after having oil change,but has egr hooked up.egr delete is what i believe is the reason for oil to stay clean looking. i have always changed oil at 25%oil life remaining.company truck has always been done at 50%

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My equipment and Dodge has no egregious goes black right away too.

Top Bottom