goggles fogging

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't overdress. The fog is usually caused by sweat (=humidity) in your helmet. OR when stopped... some breathe very shallowly and the humidity will rise up. When I stop, I direct my breath away from my goggles and rarely have problems. 509's. I also have the goggle holder that Cat makes for under the hood, so I'm set either way :)

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
u sould be able to buy a bottle of anti fog spray either at canadian tire or any parts dealer for quads or snowmobiles i have a pair of smith and fox and the spray works excellent. they never fog up. my brother has a modular helmet and uses it too

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys/gals! I just tried my habervision goggles out in the kootenays for a few days and here are my results:

1. you must switch the fan on the eliminator to on or auto, do not let the goggles fog then switch the fan on. You will not defog this way as the fan cannot defog already fogged goggles, however it will keep you fog free if switched on before riding.

2. Remove your helmet or goggles before unstucking your sled. Your body heat especially from your head will greatly increase the fog in your goggles.

3. At one point after unstucking my sled, i put the helmet and goggles back on an just the heat from my head fogged me up right away. I run a Motox style helmet with air vents on it. I found if I opened the top side of my helmet vents this helped cool it off around my head which meant less fogging.

4. If you use the eliminator, keep an eye on the snow build up atop your goggle, especially the area between your top of goggle and where the goggle sits against the top of the helmet opening. If the foam part of the goggle is clogged with snow the humidity cannot escape making the fogging worse. I had to constantly remove snow from this area to achieve a no fogging scenerio.

5. carry toilet paper with you for wiping the inside/outside of the goggle when you remove your helmet and goggles. I found that wiping down the goggles while off my helmet prior to riding after breaks really helped. I had initial fog for about a minute until I started to get up speed. Once I picked up some speed the fogging went away.

6. Use the breath deflector that came with your helmet, mine wraps tightly around my nose, so tightly in fact i almost mostly breath from my mouth forcing the breath downward out the bottom of my helmet. I found this really helps to keep the fogging away...

7. Do not let your helmet fall into the snow. Self explanitory this one :)

8. If your goggles are icing, you can stop and place them safely under your hood for a min or two and they will clear up. Wipe them down with paper inside and outside. If your goggle breath foam is wet you will need to dry it completely to achieve better results. A under hood goggle bag is highly recommended, always pack 2 or 3 goggles, and make sure if the spares are under your seat, they are packed in a dry bag.

Until some newer goggles or anti fog gadgets come out, i will be sticking with the prima blue flash with eliminator from Habervision. best I have tried yet. Kind of sounds like a 1 out of 5 dentists commercial but I have had no luck with goggles until the Habervision goggle was strapped onto my helmet :)

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I wear SPY goggles and added the Haber Vision fan inside the goggles. It clips up inside and has a fan that extracts moisture from inside. Works slicker than one could imagine and at a cost of about 65.00 it's well worth it. Most of the better sled dealers carry them in stock and if not just google Haber Vision on the net.

I used this for three days last week up in the mountains...worked freakin awesome...!!!!!!!

amishdonkeys

Reaction score
used the smith turbos's on new years day. was -27 at the time. never had trouble with fogging but freezing up the lens. i'll have give it a try with warmer weather. the modular helmets were even having a hard time from freezing/ fogging up.

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my thought would be that the foam seal has a gap between your face and the seal. fog happens when hot and cold air mix, i.e hot air from your face heating up the air inbetween the goggles and your face, cold air getting in that area as opposed to inbetween the lenses. better seal on your face will prevent fogging.

though i also agree with what most people have said, when you stop take them off if its for more than 1 min or 2 of resting.

also make sure that your goggles dry completely at the end of each day riding. fog can often be caused by water evaporating out of the foam by your body heat. so make sure they dry completely at the end of the day.

also, don't wipe if inside of your goggles if you don't absolutely have to. the antifog coating on alot of goggles is very delicate, and can be scratched off by using things like tissues, or if there is snow on the inside of the lense and you wipe it off. the sharp edges of the crystals will stuff the anti fog coating. just the goggle bag provided with your goggles.

to eliminate fog, spin your goggles around your index finger by the sprap until fog dissipates.

P

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are so glad to hear that your eliminators are working!! We had 4 of them out with us this week with different goggle/helmet/eliminator combo's and with some fine tuning they rocked!!

Here are just a few tips on getting the most out of your eliminators:

1) Make sure that there is a space between the top of your goggle frame and your helmet for the air to vent out of the eliminator.

2) Start with your eliminator in either auto or on do not get all hot and sweaty and then turn it on and expect it to work like magic. Please give it a fighting chance.

3) The eliminator will keep the inside of your goggle fog free but not the outside be sure to wipe the outside of your lens first if you are experiencing fogging to be sure of the source. Don't be like me I sat on my sled with foggy goggles thinking my eliminator wasn't working and I sat their and sat their until it finally occured to me to wipe the outside and lo and behold that was were the fogging was occuring...DOH!!

4) The Haber goggles come with a blue bag put this in your pocket and use it to wipe your goggles. This is a soft cloth that will not scratch your lens.

5) Try not to touch the inside of your goggles. Their is an anti fog coating on them and it is designed to absorb moisture. When you rub the inside you disturb this coating and could cause "scratching" on the inside lens. Sometimes their are actual scratches but other times the "scratches" are lines of coating that has been displaced. That being said I have filled my goggles with snow because I didn't pay attention to where I took my helmet off and it got filled with snow. I knocked as much of the snow out first and then blew on it until I thought I was going to die and finally I had to dab a bit out.

An excellent source of information on the care of your goggles can be found at the following link click on the video entitled "Eliminator Performance Tips":

Jan

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hi Moyiesledhead and Teeroy

I spent some time today looking at that battery box case and found that if you line up the top and get those 2 slots even with the top and slide it forward you can see a small plastic ledge that it slides on top of. It will click into place. Getting the case off does require a bit of work. Push down on the ridges and pull it back. It did take me a few tries to get it right though.

Larry and I will be passing on some suggestions to Haber about the operation of that battery box. We are suggesting that perhaps they could put a lever type opening like they have on the backs of remote controls.

I talked to Sarah today from Haber and she is sending me some replacement battery box doors. If trying to slide the cover on doesn't work for you please pm me your addresses and I will send you a replacement battery door cover as soon as I get them.

Hope that helps!

Jan

aalina

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteapes.com
You can easily take away your goggles from fog.Take them off when you are going to be doing strenous work IE: getting unstuck if you are a mountain rider. Use a breath deflecter although i see you already have one to stop foggint theres a thing called a "Smith No-Fog Cloth"--Not sure if you can still get them though.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with 3 pairs, I find once the inside foam gets wet they are toast......No matter what brand IMHO

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can easily take away your goggles from fog.Take them off when you are going to be doing strenous work IE: getting unstuck if you are a mountain rider. Use a breath deflecter although i see you already have one to stop foggint theres a thing called a "Smith No-Fog Cloth"--Not sure if you can still get them though.

I have Scott No Fog Cloths here at Main Jet... Not sure about the smith ones. I'll ask my rep. They retail for 2.99. :)

Top Bottom