Go Pro Interface issue with Transciever....please read

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call BS! Not that the beacons will not pick up a stray harmonic from electronic equipment but that I do not believe that a beacon would even notice the go-pro if there was a transmitting beacon available for it to lock on to. I have rode with much electronic equipment and never have seen any of it negatively interfere with the low 457 kHz frequency of a beacon.

Now why is someone picking on the go-pro? Surely there is way more risk to interferance with many of us carrying 2 way radios after=all they are actually designed to transmit.

Anyway anything is possible but before everyone jumps on to the bandwagon here, do your own tests, Not a test with no beacon transmitting though. Turn one to transmit and one to search, now turn on all your electronics, camera, radios etc. now see if they interfere.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call BS! Not that the beacons will not pick up a stray harmonic from electronic equipment but that I do not believe that a beacon would even notice the go-pro if there was a transmitting beacon available for it to lock on to. I have rode with much electronic equipment and never have seen any of it negatively interfere with the low 457 kHz frequency of a beacon.

Now why is someone picking on the go-pro? Surely there is way more risk to interferance with many of us carrying 2 way radios after=all they are actually designed to transmit.

Anyway anything is possible but before everyone jumps on to the bandwagon here, do your own tests, Not a test with no beacon transmitting though. Turn one to transmit and one to search, now turn on all your electronics, camera, radios etc. now see if they interfere.

this is what the the engineer for orthovox told me aswell. that frequency was chosen because it is almost impossible to create interference on that frequency.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey teth-air have you done any testing with the cordless teth air interfering, it's just something I've thought about a couple if times ?

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had an extra beacon laying around would test it but the gopro had to be about an inch away to throw it off. So assuming someone is wearing a gopro while burried, you would still find them. How hard is it to turn it off though

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Electronics are not perfect. You may not have any 'bad' samples, but how do you know that what you have doesn't "leak" when you really need it? Radio waves can be emanated on first, second, etc. order harmonics. Not to mention that other antennas have the potential to lens, reflect, or absorb a radio signal. Yes, it may be a small risk, but a risk nonetheless. Simply turning devices off eliminates that as a possibility.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would just make me look bad, my sled is always upside-down

Thanks to the op though, obviously it's good to get people thinking about their electronics

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my own tests the issue wasnt with the guy buired, but the guy with tranny in search mode. turn your tranny to seasrch mode in your house and see how many things like fridges microwave ovens etc affect it. ok so not too many fridges in da backcountry eh. but do your own tests. the older and cheaper units have a poor range. and are way harder to use effectively than some of the new ones. I hate seeing guys ride with us wearing a 10 year old unit. one I tested was only good for 18ft! if your buddy is buying a tranny, make sure he gets a good one and user freindly.
Everything with a battery in it can have an affect. the prob with cell fones are most people carry them near the tranny in a front pocket. from my tests and other ski tourers, we found 2ft was the magic number, if the cell or wotever is within 2ft expect something, maybe just noise interferance.
I'm not saying dont bring your cell, as the invention that saved more lives in the 20th century is ... the phone.

so a gopro on your head, I farkin doubt it. if I hadnt lost mine I woulda tested it last nite.
there are a few other youtubes of people testing trannys.

get a creww together and practise practise practise ... flux lines are a big problem for most people to understand. the way the pulse is sent out and the angle the tranny is buried can affect the readings an inexperianced person may get. then add a fool with no skill using a tranny with his cell fone on and ... remember 15 minutes and your dead !!! most full senario tranny search training takes 5-8minutes to get a acurate probe strike, then if the fool is fat and unfit and digging 2meters down for you. best of luck with that.

motomike450r

Reaction score
Has anyone tested different devices such as a GPS or smart phones and maybe some two way radios with their beacons? My Tracker DTS was not effected by my Casio Gzone smart phone. I was going to buy a Gopro today. I will test it and post if I find any effect happens.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey teth-air have you done any testing with the cordless teth air interfering, it's just something I've thought about a couple if times ?

Yes and retested just this weekend after upgrading to a Tracker2. With no beaon transmitting and mine in search, I hold our transmitter tag right next to the beacon and NO interefrance or notice of the tag at all.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't undertand the point of all the arguements here. Just shut off all your electronic gadgets if you're doing a search. You're trying to save someones life for Christ's sake! :realmad:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't undertand the point of all the arguements here. Just shut off all your electronic gadgets if you're doing a search. You're trying to save someones life for Christ's sake! :realmad:

I don't think that is a reasonable thing to expect marginally trained people to remember in an emergency situation. It would be nice if some instructors could post in this thread.

I remember when we did some avy training at a Ride With Chris Brown event, a GPS was causing some interfernce. Before I go out for a ride this year, I am going to test my GoPro, my GPS, my cell, and my Spot to see if there is any interference.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. But.....
My question is about the guy your trying to find with his helmet cam on or cell phone on in his pocket. Will this affect being able to find him?

marshalldemp

Reaction score
It's a big topic in the industry for a few years now. I have never had any issues when in search. My phone lives in my pack. The spot lives on the sled and as for the go pro well shut that chit off if your searching. If I'm barried and you are close enough for my go pro to affect your beacon then stop messing around and start digging me out of the snow. For me the take home message from all of this is people need to spend some more time with there gear. Know how to use it! Just like anything els in life practice like you play.

Top Bottom