Gen 4 850 just picked it up. anyone else having lots of slop in the track????

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you see if a spacer is missing up there? Are you talking side to side sloppiness?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Picked up my sled from the dealer yesterday and there is a good amount slop in the skid top boggie wheel shaft is anyone else having this problem? Dealer said it's normal I checked a few more 850s and they seem to have play but not as much as mine. I put a wrench on it and it seems tight almost like there miss a spacer.

Any thoughts?

If you jack up the back of the sled so that the track is off the floor, how far below the bottom of the skid is the inside of the track. In other words, how much clearance is there from the track to the bottom of the skid?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was looking at this with nick lastnight. Seems the whole skid will move side to side an 1/8th or so creating a knock at the top bogggy wheels. Really seems like there should be a washer in there or somthing.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was looking at this with nick lastnight. Seems the whole skid will move side to side an 1/8th or so creating a knock at the top bogggy wheels. Really seems like there should be a washer in there or somthing.
Any fat boy springs installed? That would be the only reason a dealer would have the skid apart? Maybe it fell out and tech missed it if thats the case?

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Your sled is sloppy. Friday build. Have a beer and sell it to your brother in law. No other options as I see it.
Or get off the forums and get out to the shop and put a washer in. Prolly a bit quicker than loading it up, dropping it off, pickin it up, arguing with the resident parts changer(aka tech).
I just read that you are new to the forums so my crotchety post was more a lame attempt at humor.
Here's my take on sleds nowadays.
They are not perfect and the mechanics only do what is in BRP specs. The specs are not exactly "tight". That is often the argument you get "it's within spec." Ya, we'll brp spec sux. It costs customers money when they need a $200 belt Cuz the clutches are "within spec."
They work on a commission sort of so they don't get paid for troubleshooting or thinking or solving a problem with common sense. Most of the time, you can solve the issue yourself.
Full pop, no discount seems to be the norm. One expects to be treated better for paying full pop but we get treated the same as if we got the sled at cost.
I'm rambling but I feel better now.
I hope your slop gets tight.

Last edited:

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you may have a ten min project on your hands, remove the two hanger bolts, pull out the cross shaft grind/ cut a 1/16th off and reassemble. If still sloppy take a bit more off, if the hangers are being pulled in when tightening then put a spacer washer between the hanger and bushing and all done. I think thats easier than dragging it around back and forth to the dealer, getting the run around, my 2 cents

funrider

Reaction score
one would think that the pdi would pick up on this and a dealer would inquire with brp and fix in house before they deliver to the customer why would any dealer want to have product back to there shop if a quick fix there could solve a simple adjustment before delivery???

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks like you may have a ten min project on your hands, remove the two hanger bolts, pull out the cross shaft grind/ cut a 1/16th off and reassemble. If still sloppy take a bit more off, if the hangers are being pulled in when tightening then put a spacer washer between the hanger and bushing and all done. I think thats easier than dragging it around back and forth to the dealer, getting the run around, my 2 cents

Isn't it easier to put in a washer (one on each side) to tighten it up. Should that be picked up with the PDI? I can see where a technician would check the bolts to see it they are tight but not really expect there to be a sideways motion at that point. I know my 2015 is tight as I went out to the shop to check it.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Putting a washer in wont close the gap between the derlin bushing and the cross shaft. I realize its a new machine but sometimes if you want it right you gotta do it your damn self

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP service was called on this guys because of this thread. Ken Gauthier who many know from the Edmonton and Saskatoon shows said that is normal apparently on a T motion Summit? We checked multiple units on our show room floor and both new and used with the exception of a 2017 Summit x 174 in the XM platform had this side to side motion? Why the 174 doesn't I have no idea? Ferniesnow checked his 2015 174 and it was solid although he did say he saw a 1/16" gap under there but no movement. I don't personally understand the concept behind why it is there but it is. Anybody have an explanation of why they think this is?

Top Bottom