Garmin Rino® 530HCx

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure that it is illegal to have a radio when hunting. I believe that it once was but I also believe that it has changed. Since the proliferation of cell phones, this law would be awful hard to justify if it is indeed still intact.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with ya doc and for every reason you mentioned and if I had one I would take it to. Stiff fine though so make sure it's outa site if the warden is around.

I looked it up no law against these radios. There is a law against VHF radios mostly so you can't communicate with spotter planes etc.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well got a couple in finally. Took alook last night they are really user friendly. Easy to program, I like the weather radio. 5W power is gonna be nice.

farwest

Reaction score
We have both 5 and 3 watts and to be honest we did not see a difference in reception in the mountains.More of a line of site than anything else.Just my experience.We got some good western Canada topo' s from a guy in Calgary.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well got a couple in finally. Took alook last night they are really user friendly. Easy to program, I like the weather radio. 5W power is gonna be nice.
which shipping option did you choose doc? I think I might grab one, best price I've seen yet.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
which shipping option did you choose doc? I think I might grab one, best price I've seen yet.

also, I read something about a rechargeable battery, do the 530 rinos use a proprietary battery or still use double A batteries?

Just sent through the mail, they have a lithium ion battery pack. Better and cheaper than double a's in my opinion.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
USPS I presume?

Yup ............ little things like that you can send priority mail and get it within a week.

I just ordered a knife from Oregon and it was here in 3 business days!!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there much difference b/t the 530 and the 520?? other than an electronic compass and weather report thing? .. a friend of ours has a pair of rino's (not sure model) and it got us out of boulder last year a day or two before new years.. same night as the accident.. thinkin i should acquire a few for my more common riding group!

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
So which maps did u purchase and can u buy 1 map 4 3 or 4 units and use the same program?

Ours came with North America assume they are all the same.

is there much difference b/t the 530 and the 520?? other than an electronic compass and weather report thing? .. a friend of ours has a pair of rino's (not sure model) and it got us out of boulder last year a day or two before new years.. same night as the accident.. thinkin i should acquire a few for my more common riding group!

Altitude/Elevation is another I believe there are a couple more subtle differences ... not too much more we went for the full package.

martincc

Reaction score
Anyone else order these out of the US? Looks like geakdeal raised the price. Amazon.com has them for 373 but no info if USPS ships them.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
i ordered mine from the States as well and it is an awesome piece of equipment. We went to Communications group in Red Deer and bought the mikes like the cops have that plug in to the gps and it is the cats a$$. We attach them to our straps on our backpacks and they have a speaker built in which lets you hear if someone is calling when you are riding, probably the best thing we did with them. You leave your gps in a pouch somewhere in your backpack and just push a button all day, very easy to communicate and fast, the only thing is you have to allow for a second once you push the button before you speak. These mikes were under $50 bucks if I remember correctly and well worth the cash! If you buy them you wont go back.:d

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else order these out of the US? Looks like geakdeal raised the price. Amazon.com has them for 373 but no info if USPS ships them.

Just ordered mine today, $790 for a pair, priority post to our door by USPS.
Found them on EPal - call and ordered right over the phone.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know where you can get them for 399 us. Im in coaldale, if we can figure out some shipping and how i can get paid for them i will bring as many as you guys need back. Just let me know cause i am heading back to the states next thur to pick up some parts. I just brought back 4 for our group and it is the best deal that i have found.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know where you can get them for 399 us. Im in coaldale, if we can figure out some shipping and how i can get paid for them i will bring as many as you guys need back. Just let me know cause i am heading back to the states next thur to pick up some parts. I just brought back 4 for our group and it is the best deal that i have found.

If you're going to do that, you might want to try WalMart (US), $373 and you order the item and pick a store to ship it to, takes 7-10 days to get there and they will hold it for 21 days. If you don't pick it up they send it back and credit you back.

Top Bottom