Full synthetic or Half???

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is right from the Amsoil web site.

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
I put in synthetic at about 70000 kms. Full syn. oil My truck is a 5.9 gasser with extras. I like the oil.It makes a differance in the cold weather starts.
Steve

blackwolf

Reaction score
CAUTION !!!! SOME OILS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FORD SAYS NOTHING WITH /40 IN IT If its a diesel you have to use FORDS OIL!!!!OR WILL VOID WARRANTY!!!!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
CAUTION !!!! SOME OILS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FORD SAYS NOTHING WITH /40 IN IT If its a diesel you have to use FORDS OIL!!!!OR WILL VOID WARRANTY!!!!!
F.Y.I.
ITS ILLEGAL FOR FORD TO SAY "USE NOTHING BUT FORDS OIL"....ANY OIL MEETING THE GRADE AND API RATING SET BY FORD AND THEIR ENGINEERS, WILL DOO THE JOB. THE API RATING IS ALWAYS POSTED ON THE OIL BOTTLE EG: "API SERVICE CI-4/SL, SAE 5W40, CI-4PLUS".... THIS IS ON MY 5W40 DURON SYNTHETIC PETRO-CANADA OIL, AND IT IS APPROVED FOR USE ON ALMOST ANY DIESEL IN EXISTANCE TODAY, FAR EXCEEDING THE MANUFACTURERS APPROVED ENGINE OILS. I JUST RECENTLY SWITCHED TO THE FULL SYNTHETIC 5W40 DURON SYNTHETIC ON MY OWN '06 DODGE TD WITH 14000 KMS ON IT..... P.S. FORD/GM/DODGE DON'T MAKE THEIR OWN OILS...MOST OIL PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY EITHER: PETRO-CAN, ESSO, OR SHELL REFINERIES AND THEN LABELLED. I HAVE HAD ONE OF THE LOCAL GM DEALERS COME TO ME FOR GEAR OIL, WHEN THEY'VE RAN OUT, BECAUSE ITS A PETRO-CAN OIL, RELABELED WITH GM DECALS...... ALWAYS CHECK THE API RATING AND BE SURE IT IS APPROVED FOR YOUR ENGINE...:cool:

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F.Y.I.
ITS ILLEGAL FOR FORD TO SAY "USE NOTHING BUT FORDS OIL"....ANY OIL MEETING THE GRADE AND API RATING SET BY FORD AND THEIR ENGINEERS, WILL DOO THE JOB. THE API RATING IS ALWAYS POSTED ON THE OIL BOTTLE EG: "API SERVICE CI-4/SL, SAE 5W40, CI-4PLUS".... THIS IS ON MY 5W40 DURON SYNTHETIC PETRO-CANADA OIL, AND IT IS APPROVED FOR USE ON ALMOST ANY DIESEL IN EXISTANCE TODAY, FAR EXCEEDING THE MANUFACTURERS APPROVED ENGINE OILS. I JUST RECENTLY SWITCHED TO THE FULL SYNTHETIC 5W40 DURON SYNTHETIC ON MY OWN '06 DODGE TD WITH 14000 KMS ON IT..... P.S. FORD/GM/DODGE DON'T MAKE THEIR OWN OILS...MOST OIL PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY EITHER: PETRO-CAN, ESSO, OR SHELL REFINERIES AND THEN LABELLED. I HAVE HAD ONE OF THE LOCAL GM DEALERS COME TO ME FOR GEAR OIL, WHEN THEY'VE RAN OUT, BECAUSE ITS A PETRO-CAN OIL, RELABELED WITH GM DECALS...... ALWAYS CHECK THE API RATING AND BE SURE IT IS APPROVED FOR YOUR ENGINE...:cool:

I see you're running Duron oil, my buddy just last night told me he could get that same oil for i believe he said $110 a pail full syn, thats pretty cheap syn wouldn't you say? Also, you're right that it is illegal for Ford to say you must use their oil unless if they provide that oil for free for the warranty period which brings me to a question about Arctic Cat stating you must use their APV oil or it will void warranty, well if that's the case then they must provide it for free, am I correct? I believe this law is under the Combine Act?

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

Where did ya get that info from....? I would have to call that :bs:To whoever would tell me that story... Meaning FORD. Simple, All oil is marked to related applications (I have never seen a Ford,Chev,Dodge,Polaris,Doo, Yamie,Honda, Cat etc refinery yet) !
Note Blackwolf... I am not directing this to you.... Just the info !:confused:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You Know, Thats A Funny Thing.... When I Signed All The Papers For My 2006 Rt1000 Summit, I Had To Sign An Engine Oil Form Stating I Was Going To Run Bombardier Semi-synthetic Oil In The Sled Until The 2nd Year Engine Warranty Was Over.... They Did Give Me A Good Deal On The Oil, And I Never Flinched On It, Because I Was Pretty Excited To Get It Home, And Start Playing. In This Case Because I Did Sign The Waiver, It Allows Them To Doo Warranty Work Whenever, Wherever, Without The Question Of "what Type Oil" Did He Use And Does He Have His Receipts.
As Long As You Keep Reciepts For Oil, Filters, Or Any Other Maintenance That You Doo, And Pay Attention To The Manufacturer's Recomended Maintenance Guidline And Fill In Dates And Keep Reciepts Of Each Maintenance Item, You'll Never Have Any Warranty Problems(as Long As You're Using The Correct Parts, Oils, Etc Recomended By The Manufacturer)

blackwolf

Reaction score
Sorry !!this is what Ford and ESSO told me.The FoRd service manager told me that 08 diesel API rating is higher then most maufactors make yet!! Esso told me that there oil isn't rated high enough yet use ford oil sorry forthe confusion this only what I was told .

Top Bottom