Fresh Fuel ?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven`t picked up my new XP yet but am wondering where I can get some FRESH high test fuel. Just wondering with the price of gas just who has filled up the premimum tank lately. For all those heading to the mountains in the next couple of weeks do you bring your own or use last seasons fuel from their tanks? Is this a real problem or am I just worring for nothing?:confused:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ususally go to Flying J on Hwy 16 for high test. Usually 3 cents cheaper than everywhere else and if you have their rewards card its another 3 cents off a litre at the pump. It doesn't show it until you get the receipt at the end though.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took an engine out of a 550f about four years ago by not draining and putting fresh in. Now I always drain the old fuel out and burn it in the lawnmower next year...its old who cares... and put fresh in to start the season. After all its just money, we'll wake up tomorrow and make more. lol

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I`m not saving fuel I`m trying to find fresh Premimium that hasn`t been sitting in some underground tank for a long time. If I went to McBride today and filled up my new sled that needs preminium fuel how fresh will it be. Did they pour in a few gallons of STABIL in the spring before the major premimium users took off for the season(snowmobilers). Will that fuel still be the same quality as it was when it was put in that tank? As we all know premimium fuel is at a higher cost than regular and isn`t used much other than high performance cars some bikes and maybe a few others. Summitric when was the last time that Petro Can was filled with premimium? If was within a week then that is where I will be getting my fuel untill the mountain areas have a few more sledders filling up and using the last of the premimium that has been in their tanks since last fill. If Flying J is fresher then that is where I`m going. Has anyone ever had a early season bad fuel issue on there sled. One time when we were working in Mimistik a guy bfrom Tri-county filled his new quad up with Premimium and it ran like s&^t all day. Went home drained fuel filled with regular and it ran great. He said the fuel was dead and didnt even burn good lots of black smoke. Does this happen often?:confused:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Premiun fuel doesn`t burn very well. You`ll get a better burn from regular, but premium fuel will keep your high compression motor from pinging because of the octane. The quad motor is probably a low compression and the spark wasn`t enough to get a good burn so it made it run like crap. It may have been bad fuel but putting high octane fuel in a low compression motor is a waste of money.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sledderglen Fyi Fresh Fuel.......

Glen Fyi: They Fill The Supreme Tank At Least Once A Week Through The Summer Months... The Two Big Regular Tanks Are Filled 2 To 3 Times A Week And The Midgrade About Every 2nd Week... The Winter Months They Fill The Supreme Even More.
---petro- Canada's Fuel Has 26 Additives In The Supreme Including Tactrol, Cleaners, Octane/cetane Boosters, And Gas Line A/f Etc... Vs. Non Branded Fuels(eg. Canadian Tire, Safeway, Save-on, Etc) Literally Have No Additives In There Gasolines...... Which Would You Buy??
----shell & Esso Have Similar Formulas(all Good Fuels), As They All Keep An Eye On The Competition.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a tid bit for yall to mull over if your comp ratio is less than 10-10.5 to 1 if you think premium fuel is the way to go your wrong, your actually dropping in power because you dont have enough comp for a clean burn.:nono:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Explain Deano, not sure how the compression ration works. I am running an 02 summit 800X, no mods other than cearmic pipe and stinger. Comp is 142 / cylinder after the new Wisecos last year. How do I figure the compression ration? I always burn premium but its not required as it is not a HO.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a tid bit for yall to mull over if your comp ratio is less than 10-10.5 to 1 if you think premium fuel is the way to go your wrong, your actually dropping in power because you dont have enough comp for a clean burn.:nono:

This would be a symptom of problems other than octane.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother filling that X.P. right full. The safety bulletin warns of leaking tanks and sticking throttles. Add a cigarette for the ultimate fun factor.

Top Bottom