Fraudulent ads?

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the same response back whether it's on Buy/Sell or Kijiji (also lots of scams). About two days after you email they respond with " I've left the country for work, and the machine is in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Mississippi, etc. If you send the money through this 3rd party I'll have it shipped and then we're both assured the deal is secure." It's the same response every time, just a different place the quad is in. 3rd party means sweet nothing if it's set up by the same guy. Sure wish there were more honest people left out there.

I got a similar email to this one when I was checking into a well priced toyhauler. The scammer mentioned that same BS about third party shipping the trailer to us and not to worry about the condition of the trailer. There was more BS that they liked to use Ebay purchase protection so I should send them all my info...bla bla bla...then she mentioned a death in the family and that is why they were selling the unit so cheap. The scam had poor grammer and spelling. It looked almost like a cut and paste form letter where they would change the item they were scamming for the scam of the day.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Situation #1
I was trying to sell my brothers POS ford for $7500, this guy offered me $7000, and mail me a check for $9000 to pay the delivery driver. Keep $500 for my troubles. I got the check it had a total different name and place listed on the cheque than the guy I was emailing. I was hesitant about it. If I cashed that cheque, paid the delivery driver to deliver the truck. I would have been out 1500 and a truck. That scam I never heard of before.

Situation #2
A credit card imposter called my dad about getting him lower interest rates on his credit card. At this time he was laid off and wanted to cut back on his spending and hes old school, so hes never heard of this sortive thing. Now hes out $600 and can't get a hold of that number, just starts cussin at some hindu that works for mastercard. I was pissed because they took advantage of him.

Situation #3
A new one thats being emailed to me recently is telling me that there uncle died in a plane crash in 1999 and he has an estate of 10.2 million in Africa. Theres noone to give it too, would you be willing to accept the funds and deposit it into a bank account. i will give you 30% of the sum of money for your troubles, I need your:

Name:
Home Number:
Home Address:
Cellphone:

Im not sure why they need that information to which it can be there benefit? I guess to call me and offer something great in exchange for my credit card number/expiry and act like there real deal by knowing my information.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recieved an email from a relative saying she was stuck on vacation with my uncle and their 2 kids in thailand and needed me to help and wire whatever i could because they needed $1000 to get new plane tickets and pay for the hotel they were staying in. My aunt was living in singapore with my uncle at the time but my 2 cousins were sittting in the living room as i read it. Some douche got into her email and sent it to all my relatives. Nobody sent anything thankgod. Scams are everywhere and unless i see a stack of cash for what im selling or the object im buying in person i stay away. I usually stick to no number then i wont bother when it comes to buysell.com. Kijiji i have another hotmail account i use. It fills slowly with junk emails for pills and other crap from scammers on kijiji.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard with Ebay, if the thing that you are buying was posted on Ebay then you are covered by their guarantee. If you pay for something through them that wasn't on the web site you aren't protected. Just what I heard. Is this true?

nope not true..... i bought something on ebay..... paid it paypal with my debit card.... got a email 3 days later that ups went to drop it off and i said no... [ never seen it ]... i also found out he tryed to say it was a 5.00 item that was a 500.00 item.... thats y they sent it back... i needed the part so i said i'd pay 1/2 the shipping again if he filled the ch!t out right and send it proper.... sent the extra 1/2 shipping money and never heard from him again.... e bay didn't do anything but sized his name-profile..... pay pal said i would have been covered if i would have used my credit card with paypal to pay.... the creditcard protection....... so im still out 650.00

Top Bottom